PS3 Fiasco!

Kalshion

Guest Grayfox

lol shallow end of the gene pool. man talk about zero life... waiting in line for days just to buy a friggin console.

glad im patient about this kind of thing... ill wait till after the 1st of the year (more like income tax return time in march) to snag mine. besides MGS4 doesnt come out for awhile anyways.

I've seen interviews last night of people who've been waiting on a store line for days to be the first to get one. Most of them said they only going to sell it on ebay. I also heard on the news that on ebay japan the people trying to sell these PS3s are actually losing money. No one really wants it in japan I guess. They are probably waiting for Wii.

Probably one of the biggest factors in the japanese arena is that the PS3 seems to be having trouble running the games from PS2 and PS1. I'm surprised that people here aren't going to be balking on the PS3.

You know, Ebay shouldn't allow that type of selling, when a new item, like a console, is JUST released, it should RESTRICT sale of that item for at least a month.

That would discourage people from pulling this crap, but also make it a crime to do something like this so soon after the item was released.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

You know, Ebay shouldn't allow that type of selling, when a new item, like a console, is JUST released, it should RESTRICT sale of that item for at least a month.

That would discourage people from pulling this crap, but also make it a crime to do something like this so soon after the item was released.

I agree. I'd also like to know who are these crazy people that buy this stuff for the thousands of dollars. Why? I keep asking myself. To be the first on the block with one? Insanity is what I call it.

Also, don't forget that sony did go after people that were selling the japanese PSPs to the european market.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

It's supposed to be a crime: profiteering.

When you try to sell something with actually no risk whatsoever (if you don't sell it, just return it), that's essentially profiteering.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Profiteering is only illegal if it is done during wartime.

Call McGruff. The oil companies have been doing it since the start of Operation Iraqi freedom. There should be a great many high level names placed on the indictments.

As for the PS 3, it's called free enterprise and as long as there are people with more money than they have sense buying these things, you will see this kind of thing happening. Nothing illegal about it, unless the seller fails to pay the proper sales tax or reports the funds as income in state of residence.

I applaud those turning around and selling them on eBay. It is *not* profiteering. I don't even believe in profiteering laws. I think you should be able to sell for what the market will bear.

In any event, profiteering laws are meant to protect against charging insane prices for food/water/supplies during an emergency like a hurricane, war, etc. There is no danger in selling a PS3 for a gazillion dollars if there is only one left.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

I applaud those turning around and selling them on eBay. It is *not* profiteering. I don't even believe in profiteering laws. I think you should be able to sell for what the market will bear.

In any event, profiteering laws are meant to protect against charging insane prices for food/water/supplies during an emergency like a hurricane, war, etc. There is no danger in selling a PS3 for a gazillion dollars if there is only one left.

look what this guy did

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYSTATIONS-3-WITH-PL...1QQcmdZViewItem

I was thinking of posting that in Laughter, The Best Medicine.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

I think you should be able to sell for what the market will bear.

In any event, profiteering laws are meant to protect against charging insane prices for food/water/supplies during an emergency like a hurricane, war, etc.

Poof you're king of the world. It is recently after a major disaster in any part of the world. You would allow a gallon of puddle water to be sold for $10,000?

quote:

Originally posted by Chavik:

Poof you're king of the world. It is recently after a major disaster in any part of the world. You would allow a gallon of puddle water to be sold for $10,000?

If someone will pay it, yes.

But it usually is not so drastic - I remember hearing about a guy who went down to LA after Katrina, he had bought some chainsaws and tacked on $100 to the regular price - which also went towards covering his travel, meals while down, hotel, etc.

He was arrested and charged with "profiteering" after having driven halfway across the country basically to bring down needed supply while covering his costs of doing so.