Wii? PS3? PS2? XBOX?

Simple discussion.

If you were to get a console for xmas... which of these would you choose and why?

Bear in mind of course, BUDGET and availability of games is #1 priority.

PS3:

Pros- Availability of games (playstation has dramatically more games than nintendo or xbox)

Cons- Price. Price. Price.

PS2:

Pros- Cheap, wide variety of games available for it.

Cons- since the ps3 is out it may not live long as new games would be coming out for ps3 really.

Xbox:

Pros - cant think of any.

Cons - its microsoft. that alone scares the crap out of me.

Nintendo Wii:

Pros- Innovative new motion control system, price is decent, has some cool games

Cons- Unfortunately the bulk of nintendo games are 'kiddie-ish' (mario,zelda, etc) and does not compete really with Playstation's wide variety of games. I may be wrong in this though.

Comments?

Ya left out the XBox360 O_o.....

The 360 has games out already and its a "next gen" console.

If ya want "next gen" that has some games you can go get the XBox.

Or you can wait for the PS3 to come out with games that will spank the 360 and that nifty Blue-Ray Drive that comes with it!.....Assuming they can make enough for all the PS3 fan-boys... and the hardware works... and installing linux on it isn't too hard... etc etc etc.....etc.....etc.

The PS2 is great if you want a cheap-er console that isn't "nintendo-ized".

The Wii sounds exactly like what it sounds like "wii" but its cheaper and some games like Call of Duty will be ported to it and some of the games are pretty inovative, so its not all bad.

My $0.02

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a Wii console at work today and I had the chance to try out Wii-Sports. The Wii-mote is pretty cool and while I haven't tried the nunchucks, it seems like a nifty idea. Tennis takes some getting used to, but then it does on any system. Golf is ok and so is boxing. Baseball and bowling are probably the best of the lot.

Yes, it's true that the games are very juvenile in style but still I'm thinking of getting one for myself. It's the way you interact with the games that makes the console fun to use. You can either just move your wrist to swing the bat or you can actually do the full motion with your arms and body and get the same result. Playing video games this way may actually be good for your health.

It sure beats walking your dog in the rain.

I'll keep an eye on the next batch of games coming out to make my final decision.

Actually, there's no contest here, the Wii and the XB360 aren't even in the same galaxy. The XB360 has the lead right now (although it's a noisy console once the cooling fans start spinning) and I have my doubts that the PS3 will be able to catch up at this point.

Same here, I've never owned a console before.

Still I see no information on why the xbox360 is better.

I browse for available game titles in the 360 and barely see 2 pages of it in walmart or ebgames/gamespot... whereas PS2 has hundreds.

Again, you're not selling this Xbox360 to me by saying 'just because'.

I want to know why

I mentioned PS2 because the PS3 plays PS2 games and the amount of games available...the variety of them too... from what i see beat the xbox's hands down. The xbox360 can be the last coca-cola in the desert as far as graphics and sound is but if there's only 5 games for it that i find remotely interesting its not a very good buy.

But again, im just looking at walmart.com and ebgames... i really dont know where to find a 'complete' listing of xbox/xbox360 games to compare.

xbox has good games like gears of war, rainbow six vegas, halo 3, bioware's new RPG which name eludes me now, pS3 is more maybe for final fantasy type people.

xbox will have galactic command, that's all the reason you need

(xbox meaning 360)

Guest Grayfox

4 words... guns of the patriots

then again im saving enough to get both xbox360 and ps3 systems anyway. income tax return goes aloooooong way

btw did they fix that backwards compatability issue with the 360?

XBox 360... I picked one up 2 weeks ago - and I have to say that coupled with X Box Live it is by far one of the best experiences. I can network it to my computer and stream music/movies/etc. from my PC to my HDTV...

Most of the games are excellent, I've tried about 80% of the current lineup and can give a review on most of them.

The PS3 is just awful on price, support, games, etc. Games that have been out for a year for other systems are still being pushed back on the PS3.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

btw did they fix that backwards compatability issue with the 360?

I haven't had any issues with the few games I've tried. Doom 3 didn't like the wireless controller, but it just threw up a message "No Controller Connected" that went away once the game started - nothing showstopping.

Control scheme is somewhat different for some games... given the 'bumper' buttons and no more white/black button on the new controller.

I have heard through some others that the backwards compatability is not very smooth in games like Kotor 1 & 2 - i.e. some stutter.

Very few games on the backwards compatability list are worth getting IMO anyway. I'm thinking of picking up Fable the Lost Chapters again - but I might just wait for Fable 2.

Guest Grayfox

well the reason im asking is i have a buttload of xbox games, and my xbox is on its last leg... why spend the cash to get another xbox if the 360 can run them? i like consolidation... i didnt bother getting another psx when my old one crapped out because i knew that the ps2 was backwards compatible.

and after looking at the list, only half my games are BC... so micro$oft doesnt get my cash until they add more BC games.

im a patient man... i know good stuff will be forthcoming with the ps3

They only add new games to the BC list every 3 months or so. Usually 20 or so at a time.

The 360s Live service, existing and upcoming library, and price tag put it well above the PS3 IMO. Sony has the worst customer service out of the bunch... Nintendo has the best, Microsoft is 2nd.

what exactly does this LIVE service do?

Reading the xbox360 homepage all it says is it lets you download trailers and crap and has a 'match' service so you can find other players to play with online (like the old DIABLO 1 'match' service it seems).

Oh and you must 'pay' to be able to play MMPOG games with it.. how retarded is that? You need to get FFXI, pay the live service and the FFXI monthly fee on top of that. makes no sense to me lol.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Reading the xbox360 homepage all it says is it lets you download trailers and crap and has a 'match' service so you can find other players to play with online (like the old DIABLO 1 'match' service it seems).

Oh and you must 'pay' to be able to play MMPOG games with it.. how retarded is that? You need to get FFXI, pay the live service and the FFXI monthly fee on top of that. makes no sense to me lol.

which is exactly why i dont play anything on xbox live... i dont feel the need to play a console online when the better online games, IMHO, are on the PC

On Live for example, one of the best things is that you can have 'preferred' players, i.e. players that you know are fun to play with. If a player is abusive, hogs the mic, uses cheats/hacks, etc. you can report them and in the future 'quick match' games will ignore players you had a problem with, so the chances decrease of you ever finding yourself in the same game with people you don't like. For preferred players - it is more likely you will find yourself in the same games.

Headsets are part of the service - so there is no need to use a 3rd party service such as Ventrilo, teamspeak, etc. - when you join a match, a channel is automatically set up so that everyone in the room with a headset can talk to each other. This is game-independant. No quirks, no nasty workarounds - it just works.

If I want to play multiplayer, I don't have to search for rooms - I can specify the criteria I want in a game, and I can specify that I want to play with adults, and not kids - and I am immediately connected to a game quickly, without hassle, without having to download tons of 'voicepacks' like CS/DOD players have. With any game I have purchased for the 360, I can be in MP and connected to any of my friends who have the same game inside of 5 minutes after sticking it in the console.

The friend list works similar to XFire/MSN. If I create a server for Gears of War, Rainbow 6, etc. - I click on my friend - choose "Invite to Game" - he is then sent a message with the game I am playing and when he loads it in his console he selects "Join Game" and he is loaded into my server automatically. I can host a game that only my friends can join, or I can set it to public.

X Box Live is what gaming should be like on the PC. I don't want to have the hassle of making sure everyone has the latest patch. Windows should search and download it automatically.

I don't want to have to swap details for a vent/teamspeak server and configure a new account. I want my headset to immediately start working.

I don't want to deal with router hassles, and trying to play around with config files on my friends system over the phone so we can both connect to a game. I want it to be a one-click experience.

I'm hoping they bring the same thing to the PC. I never really had any desire to get a 360 before I found myself in a position to lay hands on one affordably. Now that I have it - I dare say that I am finding myself in front of it more than the PC for most games. I'm selling off many games that are dual-system and purchasing the 360 versions instead.

As someone who has 80 PC games sitting here, and having owned nearly every game to be released since 1998 - I find myself a bit shaken that something has converted me from the PC only mentality. The 360 demos, stands in Best Buy/EB/etc. do not do the full experience justice.

I do not regret my 360 purchase. Unlike my regular X-Box, I actually find the 360 fun and satisfying instead of a hassle.

Thanks for the info silk.

As a 360 owner yerself... how do you see the variety of the xbox360 games?

I went to the xbox360 website and was a bit dissapointed to see its all stuck to the same genres. Little variety from the straight forward arcade shooters (quake-like even if the weapons and enviroment are 'realistic') or simplified fantasy games.

Bullet Witch and Assassin's Creed have me very interested though

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Thanks for the info silk.

As a 360 owner yerself... how do you see the variety of the xbox360 games?

I went to the xbox360 website and was a bit dissapointed to see its all stuck to the same genres. Little variety from the straight forward arcade shooters (quake-like even if the weapons and enviroment are 'realistic') or simplified fantasy games.

Bullet Witch and Assassin's Creed have me very interested though

Well as you know there are some 360/PC co-release games such as Oblivion, Quake IV, and others. The FPS games for the most part tend to be better suited to the PC. But games like Rainbow 6 Vegas are better for the 360. Graphics are gorgeous for the 360, and for most of the games I've played there are few problems.

My current PC setup (should be linked in my profile) kicks all kinds of butt for gaming also, so don't think I'm tainted by a poor system. My verdict would have to be:

Strategy Games such as Battle for Middle Earth 2, Command and Conquer 3 (both 360/PC releases) work better on the PC. It is just too much of a hassle to do anything complicated with the 360 controller.

This may change when/if Microsoft releases a USB Keyboard/Mouse setup. I have had a couple of friends tell me that a USB keyboard is recognized and useable - but I have not tried it myself.

FPS games such as Quake 4 - I like the PC version better. Doom 3 on the other hand works great on the 360.

My current crop of games for the 360:

(The 3 Burger King games)

Burnout Revenge (awesome racing game - best one for the 360. Easy to host/join matches - loads of fun with other players)

Call of Duty 3 (brings to the 360 what the PC version of Call of Duty 2 had for MP - great on the 360)

Chrome Hounds (Okay game. Meant for MP - assuming you can navigate the technical menus to find a decent game in the MP server. Great idea - sloppy execution)

Condemned Criminal Origins (Like Saw meets Resident Evil meets silence of the lambs - excellent)

Dead Rising (Awesome Zombie hacking game). Survive 72 hours game-time (6 hours) in a mall and try to accomplish objectives. 5 different endings.

Farcry Instincts (Fun multiplayer and singleplayer. Not as pretty as the PC version - but a lot more versatility.)

Gears of War (Just... wow - drop in/out co-op, Aliens meets... something - fun stuff)

Marvel Ultimate Alliance (think X Men Legends.)

NCAA Football 07 (So Alabama can suck virtually as much as they did this year in real life)

Rainbow 6 Vegas (The redeeming game of the franchise... so much fun on co-op, single-play, etc.)

Saints Row (A better grand theft auto - much more mission variety and customization - wide open world.)

Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Better on the 360 than PC... less buggy plus the controls are a bit easier)

Star Trek Legacy (Slightly better than the trainwreck of a PC version)

Quake 4 (less MP players = not as fun as PC)

Viva Pinata (So what if it looks like a kid's game... it's fun and cute)

Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion (Game of the Year for 360 in my estimation... I played on PC mostly though)

Rockstar Table Tennis (Because they don't just make prostitute games)

Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Jason Lee lends his voice-acting here... other than that - like every other Tony Hawk game)

Plus I have a few X Box games I use from the backwards compatability list.

Most of the other games for 360 I have played or have owned and have gotten rid of - so all of these are ones I would recommend (minus Quake IV).

Quake IV is better on PC, Oblivion is a toss up (mods, etc. are great for PC - but expansion is $10 cheaper on 360), Star Trek Legacy is better on 360, Marvel is better on 360, Vegas is better on 360, and Burnout is great.

Must buy if you get this system:

Burnout Revenge ($20 is a steal)

Dead Rising (if you like Zombies)

Gears of War (everyone is raving about it)

R6 Vegas (For when you want to shoot terrists instead of aliens)

Saints Row

Everything else is optional - but I'm having fun with all of them.

Let's be real - there isn't as much variety as PC - but then genres like strategy and simulation aren't as good on console. If I took all of those types of games off my shelf - my lineup looks remarkably similar to the 360. (F.E.A.R., Hitman, Oblivion, Doom3, etc.) so I fully intend to keep games that are RPG, Strategy, etc. for the PC - and am transitioning the others to the 360.