First Impressions

Supreme Cmdr

Even though UCSE is based on UCAWA, it has a bunch of technology advancements (e.g. the terrain engine is heavily revamped) which set it apart from UCAWA.

So, this thread is primarily about UCSE itself and not about UCAWA. There is already a thread like this for UCAWA.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UCSE not only looks better than it's direct predecessor, it surprisingly performs faster too. I'd say I saw about 25% increase in performance, which is a very good score, given the graphical enhancements that have been implemented.

As for the sound engine, it performs like it should.

Now, if the enemy marines found it difficult to see my (hidden in a planetary region's flora) alter ego, I would be 200% happy

Personnel only use line of sight for detection at short range and radar (like you DIE) at long range. So, why would you want to see them (on radar) but you don't want them to see you? There is no cheating in my AI.

Go prone if you don't want to be detected on radar or by line of sight. Yeah, its in the manual.

The game seems full of confusing little inconviences, inability to set the game controls, several different versions of the game being sold seperately. But my biggest first impression was theres nobody playing the game online.

quote:

Originally posted by hoda:

inability to set the game controls,

The game controls are fine and it is highly unlikely that you'd do a better job were it possible to modify them.

quote:

several different versions of the game being sold seperately.

Thats funny. You're obviously not paying attention. And if this was an issue for you, why did you buy UCSE instead of UC from 2004?

quote:

But my biggest first impression was theres nobody playing the game online.

...and the problem is what exactly?

Also, this thread - since you obviously missed that too - is for people who have actually played the game. It is for posting impressions of the game, not rubbish that bears no relevance to the game. You must have missed my third post above.

And please fix your forum registration or you will be perma-banned. The location 'space' is not valid.

You have until the end of the day.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add my impressions of this fine game

To start with, I have owned most of the games. When I got BCM, I thought it was the best at space where ground combat seemed a little premature.

Then came UC which added nicer graphics and a decent control scheme(mouse flight control) to all ready amazing space simulator. Then to top that off, ground combat matured to the point of something I wanted to do.

I decided to wait and just play UC for the time being even though UCG and UCAWA looked and performed better, I just was not in a place to buy more games.

So then I found out about UCSE and that it was a complete package of all the UC games along with even better graphics.

Since I did not get UCG or UCAWA I can not say that UCSE has better performance then those but it does play better then the orignal UC.

I love being on ground even more now(although not as much as being in space). Its a neat feeling seeing the AI, both my troops and the enemy, reacting to the combat. It seems to me that the AI is more capable now then it was.

As an example, I set up three different squads and plotted there waypoints to different targets in a city. As I gave the order to get underway with the attack, I was worried that I would have to micromanege them like before in order to get them to coninue fighting. Well, as they were on their way to the city, I decided to give them some air support. So I launched a few fighters and set a path for them. I then launched a tank for me to use to have a little fun and to clean up the area if the squads failed.

As I got in the tank, I decided to make sure the squads where doing what they were told to do and nudge them if they were not where they were supposed to be. To my amazement, not only were the mariens doing exactly what they should have been but they were also doing it effeciently. They did such a good job that by the time I rolled in the tank, I had nothing to really do .

All I can say is, man SC...I can not wait to see what next you come out with

Yep, familiar but different. Just started all over again. The improved graphics help, can't wait to get out there. Getting over 500 fps in empty space and 160 fps approaching Galcom, 1600 x 1200 with everything maxed out. Waited years for BC to look this fine! Good job Degsy! Don't stop!

Very busy on point insertion, lots of action, superb sounds, Tacops rules!!!

Never mind all that "walking around the ship" bollocks, won't add anything, keep the first person improvements coming and make the ships meaner!!

A couple years back I tried BC but never had the opportunity to really get into it as my work and kids just kept getting in the way. But now I have more time and I recently picked up the UCSE version. What an amazing difference between it and the last version i saw! It's beautifull and sounds great! Admittedly I'm only just now past the tutorial and am starting out to see how well the game plays over time, but I feel like I'm missing something. Is there an on-line version of this game or is that still only in the design phase? Is there anywhere I can read about what's coming next? I'd love to see more of a strategic influence in the game...that is, strategy that means something in the long run of the game. Indeed it may already be here in UCSE but I'm just not far enough into it yet. And finally, as it appears not too many players are actually using these forums, do you know of any links to forums and or lists where I might find more people who actually play the game? It wpuld be great to have access to a real community of players where one could compare and question each other.

Just a quick addendum to my previous message sent earlier today.

I realized after I clicked the button that I made it sound as if I didn't know SE had an on-line section. That was not my intent. Actually what I meant to include was that it asks first for a CD key which I don't have since I purchased the D2D version. And when I managed to get past that screen by entering nonsense, it was unable to locate even a single server no matter how I filtered it! As this is a niche audience you are catering to I don't find that necessarily surprising, but it goes hand in hand with my questions on community. Perhaps there are groups running private server-based online games? If so maybe you or someone else can get me some contact info so I can see about getting involved. Otherwise am I to assume the online part of the game isn't working as of yet? Sorry if there was any missunderstanding because of my original post.

Check the email sent to you with your D2D order. There is a CD-KEY in there used for online.

If you don't have a CD-KEY (I'm sure its in there), contact them directly.

Some people have missed the fact that a CD-KEY is in email that Direct2Drive sends after your order is complete.

And there are several servers running. You didn't see any because you didn't enter a valid CD-KEY. You can even install the GameCQ lobby and see the servers there as well.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all let me say what a superb job you've done. I owned the original UC and just bought UCSE and I immediately fell in love with it. One thing I've noticed that you can't upgrade your ship inside a star station. Also upgrades in general seem to be having a problem. Sometimes I can't upgrade at all even tho I have the appropriate part in my cargo. Perhaps you could look at this.

I do know what I'm doing.... at least when upgrading anyways. I just upgraded my shields like 30 min ago with no problem. However I was forced to leave the station in order to do it. I then went back to the station to buy a new reactor and it would not let me upgrade. So I left again and it still won't let me upgrade. I am using the Lattis/NB and am upgrading to the Megatron.

• 2 months later...
Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Just got the game from direct2drive.

What a polished game.

I have mostly been messing around with planetary missions.

The FPS mode is really looking and playing good for a game of this type.

I don't know if its the new terrain engine or my new Core 2 Duo processor or a combination of both but the game is playing super smoother than it ever has before. smooth frame rates when in combat situations in forested areas and in cities.

while doing one IA mission I watched a capital ship fight a base, its air and ground defenses and a smaller capital ship all at the same time. I had never before seen anything so impressive from this game (or any other game for that matter). Lasers slicing all over the place from the cruiser, going after the opposing fighters and capital ship then lancing out to the bases buildings.

Even during this mass chaos of lasers, light flashes, explosions, and some impressive sound effects my frame rate remained playable while I was running around on the base fighting marines. The whole thing taking place right over my head and around me as building and vehicles were getting torched by laser fire.

I was really impressed for the fist time the way the ships Lasers looked huge and dangerous as they sliced out in battle. when you are in space they look teeny tiny because of the scale and scope of space. Yet on the ground you can see how large and powerful they are. Especially with the sizzling Hum they make as they dish out death and destruction.

Great Job.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I played around some in space.

again, i don't know if its my new hardware or the game but everything feels more solid and stable. It really has a nice feel to it.

The space battles are greatly improved over what I remember from playing in 2005. Everything feels more solid and massy. You can actually see the hits from your turrets and weapons impacting the hull of the other ships and seemingly follow the exact lines of the ship. very tight hit boxes.

The gunfire does not go through the ship. the shields get impacted in a realistic way by missiles and lasers.

I have to say this game is looking pretty perfected to me. I don't see how any space sim or similar gamer could not instantly love this game.

It almost seems like "Special Edition" is almost selling the game short. It really is a great deal superieor to the original UC or UCAWA.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I just want to note..

Not that the gunfire used to go through the ships.. it is just that the new game really gives you the sense of impacting your target

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't wait for the Collectors Edition, so I decided to go the Direct2Drive route myself tonight. I played the original Battlecruiser on my crappard Bell P166,,,caught the gone gold article on bluesnews a few days back and decided to come over and grab the demo of the latest game and I have to say I was blown away. I can't wait to dive in again.

Hmm, pity pity, such a pity. As i have previously pointed out, i have several BC games, and been a fan for quite a long while, even though i only posted once,,,,, quite recently to ask for a little advice.

Its a pity because; apperantly, with each successive BC game, the games became much LESS buggy and much more ''playable'' to the limit that the latest special-edition is so far, completly bug free from *MY* personal experience with the game.

Sad, as it seems that the so called ''reputation'' or shall i say, infamy of the previous games keep on following UC Special Edition, EVEN THOUGH its totally UNdeserved.

I always kept on buying BC games in the past, knowing that the developers would sooner or later nail it down,,, and that they did.

Some people just run a single instant mission, look at a few tress, say that they are flat and graphics (in general) are whatnot and dismiss the game,, its a shame that they don't pay attention to the **overall-scope** of the game, at all, ahh than they would undersand.

ALSO, I absolutly love the fact that in all BC games, the *CREW* play an important role, as personally, i don't find commandeering a huge space ship with just me and the AI so fun. And the fact that i can track the ┬┤personell running around and doing this and that is totally awesome beyond words...

There are just a few more things that i could wish for in this game (realistically speaking),,

and that would be;

1-Fighters are fine, but capships should be a litte more bulky and ''heavy'' while moving and manuevering.

2-I can understand that in the future, perhaps, they have come to a level of technology that traditional turrets with muzzles and barrels and whatnot are NOT necessary, BUT still seeing bigger front guns AND rotating TURRETS would have added more to the overall-feeling of commandeering a cap-*battle*ship, in my opinion.

3-Cockpits. I know that they can be lots of work, but at least a few of em would be appriciated, maybe a few fighter and vehicle cokcpits, and especially a caphip cockpit. Like they ones in the original* BC games, but preferably a little more up-to-date.

PS;

Jumping out of you spaceship is even actually fun now, as the space suit looks awesome without overexagerating things, and so does the vehicles, ships, and infantry.

Also, the new landmasses in the game look better than ever, sometimes its even a sight to behold. (AGAIN, IMHO)