First Impressions

Supreme Cmdr

Wolferz

Knock yourself out!

BTW, i ''physically'' have UC AWA users booklet(guide/whatever), i was thinking of using that while playing the special edition, since my SE is D2D version, so no such book is included (naturally) and i dont wan't to print out too much. (maybe just the keys...)

Have the two games become soo different than eachother that the AWA book would be invalid for SE edition?, orr ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My first post, so bare with me.

My First Impression of the game is... well epic. There is so much to lern, and do. I think its going to take me some time to really get a feel for the game, but so far so good.

I've had a few crashes but I'm sure this is my fault, I belive my GPU is overheating because I get artifacts in some games (I dont know for sure) I'm getting a new PC in april so it should be fine. GFX work for me - it has a very unique feel. I love the fact that its so open, I can land on some forgotten moon to repair my CC, mine, and clone new people (yeh, they killed some) while I'm scouting around in a fighter craft. There is simply no other game like this.

I'm sure many will disagree, but it still feels some what unpolished to me in some areas. Which is fine. Its the overall experence that adds value to a game.

I find the collision detection to be somewhat lax, in space or land when your walking on a ship/station/building I find it easy to fall through when jumping/using jetpack. But this is far from a game breaker.

Planets are huge, the way it is suposto be. Not like the games where they scale them down.

I haven't played online yet but I assume there wont be any immature little kids fooling around and degrading the game experience (WoW anyone?) this is also much welcomed.

This is the most complex game I've ever seen. Well done, I cant even imagine how much time you people have spent working on this.

Two other little things, that dont really bother me much, but I wouldn't mind changed/added are the clouds moving so fast around planets and not being able to use the scroll for zooming in/out in the tacops and f9 external view. Not anything major, but would be nice.

At any rate, my biggest problem with UC:SE is that I dont the time to play it enough. But there isn't much that can be done about that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am a newcomer to the BattleCruiser/3000AD games, and I just bought UCSE yesterday, I just wanted to say to you Derek Smart, RESPECT!

Even though it took a lil while for me to get used to the UI, this is one of the deepest most engrossing game experiences I have had in a while(And this is coming from a guy who has played almost all the decent games he has gotten his hands on, from late 80s to current day)!

I think the manual being big etc that is written as a negative in some reviews is ****ing bullshit, but this might be because I am a flight simmer and come from a sim with a 400 page manual.

I easily read through the very well-written manual twice yesterday and started playing, currently playing in roam and just patrolling the earth area for insurgents.

I just wanted to say, great games, and respect to you for not letting retard game journalists who've probably not played a sim in their life destroy your will to make games!

I am also hugely looking forward to see your installments on the 360, and UCOnline

//Regards a OVERJOYOUS newcomer BC fan.

• 1 month later...

I've been too busy since I moved and got a new job that I completely dropped off the board. I hope the UCCE gets in stores sometime this summer because I've been hankering to start up a server. From the screenies I'm already itchin to play.

Great looking game Derek. I hope to sink my teeth in it soon.

-Aza

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for about a year or so...First post.

I first played BCM a while ago, when it gone free. First impression was 'woah oO'. Well, actually, some things annoyed me too (got some ctd's, I couldn't deploy marines from shuttle...the marines looked stupid -though I think it was their IA being too low-) but overall, I kept playing it a bit. I used to play UC demo too, and was then really pleased with the improvments.

Now that I upgraded my rig, I decided that BC brought me enough fun (and frustration sometime!) for me to spend some money in here.

All I can say now is "WTF?". Is is really that same UC:SE that most gaming reviews flamed so much? Graphics are nice (not over the top, but nice though), and as always, the scale is huge. I find it really delightfull to fly next to a -massive- starstations...And even funnier to figure out where the blind spots are when capturing a station with a single cruiser (eh, managed it once).

The game is pretty stable, and I can't help playing again and again the planet side scenarios).

You made a really good game, Derek Smart, and though I sometimes don't agree with your extreme 'no childish fools' policy (well, don't ban me for that ), I'm really glad you put your skills into that masterpiece.

Some minor concerns though: the forest textures don't look that good (what the hell? Why do I see a tree so big on that texture?), and the terrain fading due to the distance semms odd (I almost crashed several times when mountains appeared in front of my gunship!).

The vegetation are bitmaps. If they were 3D models, your rig won't be able to run it.

Same with the terrain visibility; it is low in order to make the game playable since it is rendering an _entire_ planet. You can raise/lower it a bit if you got to CONFIG.

Well, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to that kind of forest texture, not the vegetation:

http://www.3000ad.com/pics/ucce/07-05-16/PHOTO045.JPG

Somewhat it -the texture applied to the ground- looks like a forest seen from 10 meters above, while the gunship seems to be 2 or 3k feets high.

The same applies here;

http://www.3000ad.com/pics/ucce/07-05-16/PHOTO054.JPG

Looks like grass seen from 15 meters above.

Anyway, I'm not willing to derail the topic, that's not a major issue, certainly not something that will keep me off your game

The game is great, the greatest of the whole series, keep it up

• 4 weeks later...

I checked out Fry's this weekend and get this ... new multiple copies of BCMG and UC on their shelves but no UCCE. (sniffle)

I was surprised to see that they had essentially recently restocked with soon to be obsoleted game packages.

quote:

Originally posted by Frozen Ghost:

I checked out Fry's this weekend and get this ... new multiple copies of BCMG and UC on their shelves but no UCCE. (sniffle)

I was surprised to see that they had essentially recently restocked with soon to be obsoleted game packages.

I'd just keep an eye on this site for an announcement on the availability of CE. At least that's what I'm doing.

• 1 year later...

All right, I bought UCCE yesterday (D2D version), and must say I'm really pleased with it.

My motivation for buying it was (in order):

-more stable multiplayer

-all the campaigns

-LOADS of instant action scenarios

-working DJPs

-dynamic weather fix

-better performances

So far the game lives up to my expectations, though I didn't have a chance to try mp yet. I have enough campaigns and scenarios to last me a couple years at least, quick escape in ennemy bases using DJPs is fixed at last, weather doesn't stay stuck on 'boiling 99m' anymore (CLOUDS! THEY GLOW!!!) and last but not least, I've seen a drastic FPS increase in the naval carrier defense scenario. Well, actually I'm still getting 20fps (geforce 8800 gts640) when the screen gets clustered with target informations (that can be easily fixed using radar modes, stt mode or RTM filters) but the action stays smooth. I don't know how you managed that SC, but it's really awesome. That scenario was my favorite one but it was also the one strassing my computer the most. Now it's perfect!

Well, I'm off for some planet-side action, I plan on making some AAR later this week, stay tuned!

Interesting, I'm happy to hear that the DJP pads work, will make FPS Roam mode much more interestin now ^_^ The more I read about this the less I feel I can wait, I might sell something to get the money up to buy this lol. I was just thinking after reading another thread that you could use Resnig to train your marines and pilots, by sending him out onto a planet then using him for target pratice , then cloning him and rinse and repeat ;)

Have you tried installing the old BC games to see if they work smoothly on your computer, aren't they suposed to be updated to work on modern computers? I miss the old bridge view, I've considered taking a screen shot of it and printing it out then attaching it to my montior when I'm playing lmao.

Well, the legacy games come as bonus with the boxed DVD, which I haven't since I ordered the Direct2Drive version.

That's not a problem, I've had my share of struggling with BC v2.09 trying to run it on XP, I don't want it on my hard drive anymore ^_^

As for sending Resnig down, I'm not sure that a good idea, I'm sure he'd lower the whole away team AI.Believe me, your marines don't need to get any dumber than they already are. Don't forget they're armed and dangerous (yes, that includes dangerous for you too).

I wonder why after all these years SC never fixed Resnig. Just the other day I left him in command of my Nightstar planet side with engines off and everything perfect. Make a few trade runs and come back to the planet cause I notice a red alert, evac ship when I look in the bottom of the screen while docked with a space station. When I get there my carrier is flaming, jetting fire like 2 or 3 miles into the sky. I skill have no idea what he did, but I know it was him! ^_^

Thats to bad about getting the direct2drive version, at least you get all the missions that is what is really important. I still have pretty good memories from BC3000AD 2.0, namely flying a fighter down only a planet onto the night side and smashing into the ground thinking "O.o this is strange" lol

Any hot news on what exactly the new First person weapons may be that were added into the game?

According to this http://www.3000ad.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42000053 you decided not to fix it in AWA , just in SE and CE. Which is fine by me ^_^ Looking through the VCF there is no mention of it I could find in AWA (which is what I'm currently playing on) I'm not complaining, I'm going to get CE any way so it is no big dealio.

I dunno how I missed that ! Jesus my job is killing my eyes or I'm just stupid :birthday: The search function on my web browswer couldn't even find DJP in there when I searched it before but it is right there in front of my eyes the whole time. Going to go play a elite force marine tonight :birthday: <dance>

• 1 month later...

For those who 've not yet tried the beta 2 patch some first (WOW) impressions :)

Has been a while but i figured since no one made some shots i'll describe some missions i've played.

I must say so many new features and so smooth even on the old beast ( AMD2600 , 2B , HD3650... he...you stop laughing now!) i got pretty good frame

rates. As an old vet i was stilll able to hold my ground though my spacecombat skills seemd a little rusty ( darn, these fighters are tricky! )

UCCE has really been fine tuned and balanced i must say. FP is really nicely done, been playing the last coupla days though kinda sad though some of this is leaving us ( space, transporter,mining etc in newer titles i assume) sometimes you only see how good something is/was when it's gone (and other (space)sims).

Anyways since it already had the spaceships, battles, fleets, FP, sim part it basicly had all the

great features, but i must say the graphics really add a nice touch it. For example the explosions make it much more immersive! The smoke/contrails , explosions, the clouds, the smoke, lighting . It gives that much extra because it already has so many features this is really the icing on the cake.

On a planet you usually see a lots of fighters and gunships flying and SAMs firing but you now really have a feel the bigger picture. You see explosiosn in the air and on the ground. Several smoke trails of several fighters exchanging missiles. Then SALs firing their lasers and SAMs creating more streaks across the sky.

So i made a bunch of shots but all graphics are on low i know for a fact the water looks much better than in my screenshots. Bunch of stuff is put on low settings. ( yeah yeah, u can stop laughing now)

1st Day my arrival

I tried my first mission and it has been a while but they still knew who i was and send me to do a specops mission. Liberating a city which was full of hostiles. So i signed up with my team and got down to business. Once in the city all hell broke loose . I didn't know where the shots were coming from , it was pitch black , so i activated my infrared (SHFT + \ ) to make my life a little easier i designated my targets to effectively employ my tactics. While my buddies did the "ground work" i decided to support them and lift myself to a higher plan or should i say fight from i different perspective ;).

So i fired [ F ] up my booster and began a rocky ride and put myself into an advantageous position. I landend on the place where i had a good overview of the situation and having the edge if you will. But i was determined i was gonna liberate this town and i knew for sure they they be looking up to me if not now than in the near future. While the platoon was keeping them pinned i took upon myself eliminate the reinforcement. Starting by taking out their APC. After some good teamwork we got rid of the remaining pockets of resistance and mopped te place up. Though it wasn't easy and felt releaved my booster didn't fail on me. Had to use the backup system on our last operation that was scary but made it home in one piece.

2nd Day Geeez, the 8 hours past already?

We were woken way to early for my comfort wtf? What happend to the 8 hours of R & R promised to us by Command HQ , but this was a special mission. Don't they say that with all specops missions? No this one is really special they assured us. They sure know how to sell this stuff.

Intel briefs us this is an oppertunity several hostile MFB's have been sighted near the frontline and this will surely offer some space for the 56th which might

have their flank exposed it the enemy forces keep pushing furher. Intel continues and points us to a nearby base which will be the secondary target.

So im assigned to the guys the heavy equipment the Assault Force Marines. It had been a while since i used the rocket launchers , but they joked

the latest MK4 is so easy and effective they will even let people my me use it. The're so funny.

Ok we found them alright or should i say they found us. Not a landing i like every day , good landing nonetheless sine i can walk away from it. Several gunships where downed by the MFB , hope my buddy made it, but i managed to get on the ground. I took some succesful shots but it was getting risky. I had to hide between some rocks. They localized the azimuth of the shot. I used a diversion launch , the launcher is in deception mode, it has a lower kill probabliltiy since it has a longer fligthtime but they ussually fire artillerty or smart weapons to the last know position. Me and an another AFM finally found the right spot and were able to take out the last MFB. A big cheer over the comms , flank of the 56th is safe for now and primary objective has been met.

Though it was snowy and cold, you could sence even trough your gear, sights where obstructed every now and then. We had a special particle viewer

which was not influenced by these harsh weather conditions like you would have with laser or IR but it drained the resources. Advise was to use it scarecly but try to think of that when your under fire and your view with the conventional sensors are obstructed. It was quite a trek but when we reached the enemy base the resistance was light. A lot of burning craft but we started to destroy most of the defences so enemy reinforcements won't be able to use them. The terrain was horrible and we dragged ourselves to the extraction point. After some succesful battledamage repairs the gunship took of and we were heading back to base.

3rd Day finally some R & R?

Seems this war drags on but i was trying t get some long deserved rest. I was watching some news om my mobile hologram. The enemy has been going on the offensive and GNN showed some holo's of allied gunship which took out some ammo depots, the base, near the 56th which was under attack, and air defences working

around the clock. I'm looking out the window at the red sky and see lotsa action. I'm gonna try and get some sleep.