some issues

I posted these earlier in the First Impression thread, but got deleted. Yeah, I forgot to put that sig thing on.

Anyway just wanted to make sure that these issues are being acknowledged, if so go ahead and delete again.

1. Starting Roam game as male shows a female portrait in Perscan and other situation for example the prompt when quitting the game.

2. Main Screen for Singleplayer does not show correct version, mine shows v. 1.00.00 (I have the most recent D2D version)

3. Textures on GHQ get messy when hitting F9 and zooming in as close as possible to the CC. If you zoom out a bit its gone again.

4. That cloud texture in space rotates way to fast (so far I've only been around earth so I don't know if it is just that planet, or maybe its WAD?

5. Most significantly, I keep getting CTDs in space combat, pretty much everytime in fact. Can't see exactly what causes it though. Sometimes it CTDs as soon as hostiles enter the area and sometimes I actually get trough combat and it CTDs with the next wave of hostiles. Again, I've only been around GHQ so far(haven't had a game yet that lasted longer than 10 mins)

(1) Thats because of how the image is being loaded. Its non destructive, so get used to it.

(2) If you didn't patch the game properly, thats the result. The current D2D version is 1.00.01 and thats what should be displayed.

(3) Nothing to do with the game. Check your video card drivers and settings.

(4) Works as designed. If you don't like it, turn it off.

(5) Nothing to do with the game. Check your machine config; especially your sound card. This is all covered in the FAQ. Read it.

1. Huh? Non destructive? Image being loaded? Don't know what you're saying... what does that have to do with the wrong portrait showing? BTW I noticed that the wrong portrait shown (as in perscan and prompts) is different from the one in the Roster menu when actually playing a female. Maybe its an older residual portrait left inside that should have been replaced by a new male and female portrait?

2. Don't know what I could have done wrong patching the game. Press that lil button that says "Check for updates" and let the computer do the work. I'm not THAT computer illiterate! BTW it shows the correct version in Multiplayer.

3. Ok, updated video driver to todays current version. Tried different ingame settings. No change. Don't tell me my desktop color depth or similar settings would have an effect on this. Other than that the options were set to application preference or what its called.

4. If it's what you want, ok. Still, I would suggest slowing it down, cuz it just looks weird. Well its not that important, I'll just turn it off.

5. I read the FAQ that came with the game. If there are others, sorry didn't see em. But yes I think it has something to do with sound. Turned off sound fx and music and it didn't crash in combat.

PS: Just read through this post and got the impression I'm giving lip... I'm not so don't hit me.

Ok tried a few things with sound. Changing acceleration slider in dxdiag didn't help. I had one particular savegame where I'm surrounded by interceptors. Changing to external view always crashed the game. Either turning off sound fx or changing the gun sound of npcs option to something other than "all" fixed it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the game was patched correctly, it says on the title bar of the window version 1.00.00 of august 24 which is the release date of 1.00.01 isn't it?

quote:

Originally posted by Adm. J.P. Hanson:

1. Huh? Non destructive? Image being loaded? Don't know what you're saying... what does that have to do with the wrong portrait showing? BTW I noticed that the wrong portrait shown (as in perscan and prompts) is different from the one in the Roster menu when actually playing a female. Maybe its an older residual portrait left inside that should have been replaced by a new male and female portrait?

If you actually read the game's appendix, you would notice that one of those images is the ship's computer.

quote:

2. Don't know what I could have done wrong patching the game. Press that lil button that says "Check for updates" and let the computer do the work. I'm not THAT computer illiterate! BTW it shows the correct version in Multiplayer.

The version number did not change in the single player build because there were no changes in it. Thats what the VCF is for. Read it.

quote:

3. Ok, updated video driver to todays current version. Tried different ingame settings. No change. Don't tell me my desktop color depth or similar settings would have an effect on this. Other than that the options were set to application preference or what its called.

You're on your own. Nothing to do with the game.

quote:

4. If it's what you want, ok. Still, I would suggest slowing it down, cuz it just looks weird. Well its not that important, I'll just turn it off.

If my previous post about this wasn't clear, thats probably because I can't write German. READ what I wrote again. SLOWLY.

quote:

5. I read the FAQ that came with the game. If there are others, sorry didn't see em. But yes I think it has something to do with sound. Turned off sound fx and music and it didn't crash in combat.

You're on your own. Nothing to do with the game.

I did read the appendix (just checked it again). Didn't see anything about a ship computer. Still, wouldn't explain the pic in perscan.

When saving during hyperspace jumps and reloading the game, the hyperspace effect is pointing in the wrong direction.

Yeah, problem is they don't update the nForce 2 drivers (and incidentally the onboard sound) anymore. Don't tell me I have to buy a soundcard for this game, I was quite happy with my soundstorm.

I was still playing Millenium before I bought UCSE and it didn't crash once. Which reminds me, didnt SC say something about a third party sound system being implemented for the more recent games. Maybe that's the problem.

As an aside to SC, it appears to me that you're terribly defensive of the game. You know I'm just trying to help by pointing out the flaws that I see from my "non-fanboy" point-of-view.

To compare BCM and UCSE is just plain ludicrous.

On board sound are - and always were - rubbish. Just like on board graphics (e.g. Intel). You get what you pay for. If you want to play an advanced game that requires top of the line components, then you need to ensure that your system meets such a requirement or face the consequences.

As for being defensive, look around you. Do you see any kids around here? No. We're all grown ups who tend to look first, then post later. Unless you learn that, your posts will continue be deleted or you'll get less than desirable responses. Sorry, but thats the way we are around here. We have rules which everyone has to abide by.

Hm, found another thing. I'm missing the large green oval in the center of the screen(the one that has SVI/VMI, AID and SHI/FPI in it) as shown in the manual. The rest of the ITD is showing up correctly though. Didn't see anything about toggling it on/off.

If I were going to buy a soundcard, would the latest creative model work? I know there's been issues in the past with those and know of your preference for Turtlebeach, but the shops around here don't carry the more exotic sound cards.

And just for the record, I have read pretty much all relevant faqs, the manual, the forum etc. I've been following this forum long enough (since 1999 or whenever I bought bc3k v2) and know about the RTFM and similar responses. So I hope you're taking my posts about "game related" issues seriously and have a look at it.

Oh and you're right, UCSE cannot be compared with BCM. While I was never a real fan of the earlier games, UCSE is the first one that's really appealing to me so PLEASE help me get it to work. That way we'll both be happy, cuz I'm gonna play a real good game, and you won't be bothered by me again .

quote:

Hm, found another thing. I'm missing the large green oval in the center of the screen(the one that has SVI/VMI, AID and SHI/FPI in it) as shown in the manual. The rest of the ITD is showing up correctly though. Didn't see anything about toggling it on/off.

It was removed from the game. It wasn't important enough to edit the manual and that annotated image over it.

quote:

If I were going to buy a soundcard, would the latest creative model work? I know there's been issues in the past with those and know of your preference for Turtlebeach, but the shops around here don't carry the more exotic sound cards.

Any add-in sound card is probably better than an on board sound card, but if you buy a cheap no name brand card, you'll get what you pay for. I can't give you advice on what to buy.

quote:

so PLEASE help me get it to work.

As I said, you're on your own since there's nothing wrong with the game. Known issues are documented in the VCF.

just one thing though, why make personal comments about why he is defensive about his game? What does it matter? No less food for you on your table, no pee in your cornflakes.

Aside from the fact that he has replied to everyone one of your posts, and tried to help you, what more matters?

Don't bother with the personal stuff. Just play.

peace

No I wasn't getting personal. Got better things to do than start flamewars. I was just responding to what initially seemed to me a "it's not the game's fault because its perfect, you must have a crappy system or don't know how to use one" attitude. I don't think that's the case anymore.

The spacestar's right engine glow (when in bitmap mode) is angled incorrectly I think, might wanna take a look at it.

I picked up an Audigy4 and running on full accereration now. It is generally stable now, but I still occasionally get CTDs in FPS mode.

quote:

"it's not the game's fault because its perfect, you must have a crappy system or don't know how to use one" attitude. I don't think that's the case anymore.

Just because you may think you have a top of the line system (which you don't), doesn't mean squat. A myriad of things (memory, drivers, config etc) can all contribute to cause problems for you which nobody else would be having.

quote:

The spacestar's right engine glow (when in bitmap mode) is angled incorrectly I think, might wanna take a look at it.

I'll get right on that, y'hear?

quote:

I picked up an Audigy4 and running on full accereration now. It is generally stable now, but I still occasionally get CTDs in FPS mode.

Do you know what those acceleration bars do? No? Then why not try each one first before thinking that just because you have an Audigy4 board, that you can run it a full acceleration mode (for any game).

Interestingly, by switching FSAA from 6 to 4, has helped a lot on the stability issue. In fact it hasn't crashed after 5 hours straight gaming. And I'm still running full acceleration for sound and have graphics set at max (except FSAA). Performance is good. I did get a corrupted savegame (I died and immediately restarted with the "resume" button) but it's not that big a deal, restore still worked.

Figures. You don't even have enough memory to be running FSAA that high.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. People who go about changing things (e.g. the default game configuration) are only going to end up littering the boards with stuff like this.

Anyway, we're done here I think.