Galcom Ranks...

With all of the activity at the forum among all the fleets... getting

organized, assigning commands etc...

I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of what the Galcom ranks

are?

Is there such a list? Is someone working on one?

If not I'll help... I just need guidelines for the ranks for BC3K...

I've downloaded lists of military rankings from the US and British

- navy, air force, army and marines, as a starting point... and placed

them alongside each other for comparison...

I also started looking at the Galcom ranks listed in the manual.. I see...

Supreme Commander-200000 points

Tacops Commander-100000 points

Strategic Commander-50000 points

Fleet Commander-25000 points

Commander-0 points

(note...Appendix M's Alien Nations Database shows the pictures of the Galcom

officers in a different order. It has the fleet commander above the

strategic and tacops commanders, with the strategic and tacops switched as

well... just noticed this... DOH!)

and ship officers...

Commander

Research Officer

Chief Engineer

Medical Officer

Tactical Officer

Combat Officer

Navigation Officer

Communications Officer

Flight Officer

and that's about it... as far as I see...

I assume that a general military format is to be followed.. for ground,

air, water, and space officers, as well as for the elite command... with a

good dash of star trek thrown in... smile.gif

just looking for guidance.... anything out there??

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

ICV Gummy 1

Spectre Fleet,

Cmdr. Sygan StarStation

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

[This message has been edited by Andergum (edited 02-24-2000).]

hehe yeah...

Ok here's the deal.. since it seems that no one else has made a full list of the ranks... then I will!

When I'm done I'll post a link to it...

they, everyone can offer their criticisms, ideas etc...

BTW Derek I'll just use the rank order as shown with the experience points table... the page with the pics on it shows a different order for the top ranks.. but since the points are tied to the ranks... and in the game, I'll use those..

there that wasn't too hard... smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

ICV Gummy 1

Spectre Fleet,

Cmdr. Sygan StarStation

ICQ # 215323

[This message has been edited by Andergum (edited 02-25-2000).]

Guest Ron Wallin

Andergum, you might want to check with Ristar on this. He's already put together a detailed listing of the ground forces rank structure. He supposedly sent that to DS for approval.

Additionally, everyone came to a general agreement on the officer ranks in GALCOM over in RP.

Those positions you listed (combat officer, etc.) are merely JOBS on a BC that are held by officers of varying ranks(except for Commander which is the rank as well).

***reading the above link again, it seems that RISTAR has already worked everything out for GALCOM. Perhaps, Andergum, your time would be better spent working out a rank structure for SPECTRE!*** (just a suggestion).

------------------

Cmdr. Akira

ICV Nevermore

Spectre, Command Staff

Base Commander, The Dojo

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

Thanks Akira..

Yes I know that the officers listed are just jobs on the BC.. just mentioned them because up til now its all I've seen as far as ranks/jobs go... (along with the high ranks)

I also have a printout of the ranks that Ristar put together... that along woth the other info from the Rank thread as well as what I've collected, should be enough to make a complete list of all the ranks in the game... RP or otherwise..

I'll work on this and post something soon...

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

ICV Gummy 1

Spectre Fleet,

Cmdr. Sygan StarStation

ICQ # 215323

This is a good plan Andergum. Rister only put together the ranks for the marines. We need complete ranks for all military personnel, ie, officers in the ship. However, I don't want the rank tier structure for the player, changed. What I am interested in, are ranks for officers, engineers, medics etc.

Ok here is the file.... (excell spreadsheet ~378k)

http://www.firstworld.net/~andergum/bc-ranks.xls

Keep in mind that this is only a starting point... all constructive criticism is welcome... be nice... smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

ICV Gummy 1

Spectre Fleet,

Cmdr. Sygan StarStation

ICQ # 215323

Guest Ron Wallin

Nice layout Andergum. One question: Is everything listed in order of importance (top down)?

If so, what's the mess of ranks between Cmdr. and Flt.Cmdr. and what are their function (if any)?

Also, SSC, CSO, CEO all seem like JOBS not ranks?!?! For instance, to be a SSC you'd have to at least carry the rank of Lt.Cmdr. but could be as high as a Flt.Cmdr. (even Supreme Cmdr. in some instances)

Additionally, the Admiral ranks are simply a throwback to US military structure which would not be in use in a unified world based command like GALCOM. Of course, this is assuming that all friendly space bourne entities are still under the control of GALCOM.

I'm interested in what your thoughts/reasoning are about much of the list.

Also (as if I haven't put my foot in things enough), is there a need for the seperate branches (army, af, navy, marines) within the GALCOM structure? Wouldn't the forces have been joined by this time or is there a need for the specialized services each branch brings?

Anyway, very nice document.

------------------

Cmdr. Akira

ICV Nevermore

Spectre, Command Staff

Base Commander, The Dojo

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

quote:

Nice layout Andergum. One question: Is everything listed in order of importance (top down)?

Gum: yes

quote:

If so, what's the mess of ranks between Cmdr. and Flt.Cmdr. and what are their function (if any)?

Also, SSC, CSO, CEO all seem like JOBS not ranks?!?! For instance, to be a SSC you'd have to at least carry the rank of Lt.Cmdr. but could be as high as a Flt.Cmdr. (even Supreme Cmdr. in some instances)

Gum:after looking at it I think that station/base commanders and their XO's should be the equivalent of the Admiral ranks

with the admiral ranks deleted...

quote:

what about the general ranks in the army/marines??

Gum: probably the same thing applies... to the generals..

quote:

Additionally, the Admiral ranks are simply a throwback to US military structure which would not be in use in a unified world based command like GALCOM. Of course, this is assuming that all friendly space bourne entities are still under the control of GALCOM.

Gum: agree.. but I didn't want to delete the army, navy, airforce ranks till the SC had his say on this... there are Naval units in BC3K now... probably with more to come in BCM/3020... are they under the jurisdiction of galcom officers? do they have their own officers? I don't know either... so I left em in for discussion purposes... and for SC to rip em out... smile.gif

quote:

I'm interested in what your thoughts/reasoning are about much of the list.

Also (as if I haven't put my foot in things enough), is there a need for the seperate branches (army, af, navy, marines) within the GALCOM structure? Wouldn't the forces have been joined by this time or is there a need for the specialized services each branch brings?

Gum: see above.. I don't know either hehe

quote:

Anyway, very nice document.

Gum: thanks.. its only a start.. and I've uploaded the file in excel 95 form now so the others can get it and have a look.

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

ICV Gummy 1

Spectre Fleet,

Cmdr. Sygan StarStation

ICQ # 215323

just added the quote tags

[This message has been edited by Ron Wallin (edited 02-26-2000).]

Thanks Derek and Gum - got them both smile.gif.

One more question. What will all these rank issues be used for in-game (did I miss some critical threads) or are they just RPing items. If Commander Newbie enters a server he will still start off as a "Commander" and depending on his caste selection, be given a ship related to his caste. If I am still on track, will he/she than obtain rank through point accumulation.