Problem: Ship Names

I have been contacted by Commander Greg Miller of Orion Fleet to change the name of my ship. He's stating that a member of his fleet already has my ship's name.

The Fleet Roster on the main BC3000ad used to list all the commanders and their ship names. Plus I do recall seeing numerous commanders with identical ship names on that page. However, now that's been replaced with links to the homepages of each respective fleet.

So my issues are, A) Are we striving to have individual ship names for each commander and B) If so, how will a person know if they've selected a unique name or not? Orion's forum has no roll call for ship names (no offense meant to Orion fleet whatsoever). And even if they did I find that to be kind of an impracticle way of checking.

------------------

Commander Ramius

GCV Blackstar

1'st Squadron, *Marauder Wing

Stationed, Fenrir Starbase

"Liberate tetute mae. Ex e ferris"

PST

=Wraith Fleet=

A fleet roster is being prepared to combat this problem.

I'm sorry it's taking so long guys, but between work and school, I don't get a lot of time to work on it. It's coming, I promise!

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

S36 Commander, Gamma Wing

'Tis a problem that has a long history. Even here on the BC3K site. It's common courtesy for a Fleet Commander to contact another Fleet Commander to deal with this kind of problem. Rule in the past has always been "First Named, First Taken. That's Officially Named. Who posted with that Ship's Name here? That's the only identifying measure that's available to us at this time. "Unlce Rattler" will now don his striped shirt and prepare bo be impartial referee! Give me the names of the two contestants and, if you want, I'll research who used it first. That's what they pay me big bucks (Just kidding Derek) for doing in instances like this. The answer to your other question is YES. Commanders should try and pick out a name for their Ship that is unique unto themselves. I'd be P.O.'d if I found another Necromancer on the server when I went up there. Then you Galcommies wouldn't know just who kicked your butts back to Mars! Can't have that, can we? wink.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Spectre Fleet

Spectre StarStation

ICV Necromancer

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Long Live The Insurgency, Long Live Mother Earth, And Long Live Battlecruiser Developers and Fans!"

I severaly doubt I claimed the name first since I just posted the name today, but hey just to be accurate... Commander Matt Stryker with Orion Fleet is the other GCV Blackstar Commander.

How bout duel to the death??? smile.gif Ok just kidding.

Obviously I'll have to change my ship's name but until the fleet roster is up it's kinda redundent for me to choose now. Even the most obscure name could be picked.

Let me rephrase this paragraph since I misread one of your lines Rattler. Because, as I mentioned above, I had seen many duplicate names in the old Fleet Roster that was on this sight. I didn't think it was necessary for the names to be unique so I picked a less then obscure one. However as an FYI the name is unique unto myself in that it's from my favorite television series ever... but I'm sure a large percantage of people here have seen it also smile.gif

Is Whitestar taken?? =)

Thanks for being willing to ref this one Rattler.

[This message has been edited by Vorpal (edited 03-01-2000).]

I've had this problem. Way, way back on the old forum a couple of commanders were nice enough to change the names. Then it happened here but those commanders never posted much. So I kept the name Phoenix. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Two equally vocal commanders vying for the same name.

"First named, First taken" is valid. How did the two Galatae's duke it out? One was Galatae and the other was Galatea. May I suggest Blakstar, Blackstarr, Black Star, Blackstar Nebula to name a few?

Would this work?

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Pre-Commissioning Crew, Starstation Destiny

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

UHM Duh!! Thanx to Lindsey's post I went and did a quick check at the Lurker's Guide for B-5 and saw that the Blackstar is actualy the Black Star. Since that's the ship I was trying to name mine after (how original eh? smile.gif )... ship's name to be changed ASAP =)

------------------

Commander Ramius

GCV Black Star

PST

=Wraith Fleet=

[This message has been edited by Vorpal (edited 03-01-2000).]

Good Idea Chav. Just change some vowels and constanants around and multiple Commanders could have the same ship name while still maintain a unigue ship name.

TTFN

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

1st Squadron, *Corsair Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Cerberus

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

ICQ# 29486270, GMT+3

=Wraith Fleet=

Second in Command, Wraith Fleet

Bushi of the Dragon Council

I've always found this ship naming problem to be overrated. In all games you will find players with the same names over and over and over again. Once this game goes MP, there will be HUNDREDS of Dark Stars or Graf Spee and you bet your butt there will be THOUSANDS of Phoenix's out there.

If its a common "cool name" people will take it. If people see other players kick ass with odd names like "Graf Spee" they may adopt that name as well (and possible do some research to see what it means).

The only solution to this would be to have the server keep track of names (and not allow players to take a name that's already taken). But even so, you will find other players using your name on other servers. First come first serve, so you'd better rush over to every new server that opens and register your name... you don't want someone else giving you a bad reputation eh?

Its the internet, live with it smile.gif

I was talking more about the courtesy we show each other here. If two people are going to post consistently then they should respect each other. This has worked out well.

The name thing will happen eventually. Not so much on a BCM 16 player server as it will on BC Online though. But unique names are not out of hand. I once decided to try a text based Fantasy RPG on AOL. It required a unique name. That was tough thinking of one though. Anyway, your email address is unique, your handle on a server (thinking MSN Game Zone here) is unique (isn't it?) so I don't think there is anything stopping anyone from requiring ship's names to be unique.

Then again, does it matter? Not really. Not with Thousands of players running around. (50,000 hits on the site? We gonna get A LOT of players) In fact it would be a really cruel tactic to have several ships with the same name running around. "There he goes again, how does he do that?" smile.gif

For now things have worked out.

Commander Chavik,

from the bridge of the ICV Usagi (an LRT-10 transport) while the ICV Phoenix is under repair. wink.gif

You want my opinion? Tough, you get it anyway.

Unique ship names is important in my opinion. Why? Well, everyone that is going to want to spend a good portion of their time playing BC:M or BC:Online when they are out are going to want to be recognised for who they are. The easiest way to do that is to have a unique ship name that everyone can see. Also, players cropping up with similar or the same ship names will only serve to confuse people. We can do without that kind of confusion. Also, how would one of our well established commanders feel if some newbie jumped onto the server with the same ship name, in a different or same fleet and started doing all sorts of good/bad things?

Well, I think it would get messy, besides, a commander got to have a sense of individuality. If I saw another GCV - TSUNAMI while I'm playing, or even on a roster somwhere, I wouldnt be happy.

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

As for my view I completely respect the unique ship name for this specific gig we have going here. Each of us signing onto a specific fleet, reporting to this board, doing the rpg'ing, I think that's fine.

However it's not going to get enforced with the general public, nor should it. One person used the example of requiring unique names for an RPG. Well that's alot different then applying a name to a ship. Take 2 people and make one come up with names for a fantasy character, and the other come up with names for a ship they want to pilot and the RPG'er is going to come up with alot more names. You can't have the GCV Zan, or the GCV Lothar. It takes a little more creativity to come up with a good ship name, and there's fewer combinations of words to choose from.

I predict what will end up happening, is we'll end up having official matches where it's restricted to only members of actual fleets from this board and more casual games where it's open to the general public. Or depending on how the netcode is written, we may have official servers that only accepts members of fleets. But I don't see a world wide unique naming convention enforced, it's not practicle nor do I think it's fair to the more casual gamers who wants to go online flying under a ship named after their favorite Star Trek, or Blake 7 or B-5 ship. They're not playing "our game" (or maybe I should say campaign), so why should it be enforced on them? *

*The views presented here are not necessarily those of Galcom.

------------------

Commander Ramius

GCV Black Star

PST

=Wraith Fleet=

With only 16 players on a server in BC:M I do not see a problem until SDF type matches are the fade.

With BC3020 looming over the horizon, release date InSh'llah, I would be somewhat ticked for see/find another shipname Graf Spee registered. So if I needs to reserve my BC Universe I.D. for all time, then I do so now.

Could continue this tirade but I do not forsee a shipname problem until 3020 and the pay-for-play are available.

TTFN

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

1st Squadron, *Corsair Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Cerberus

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

ICQ# 29486270, GMT+3

=Wraith Fleet=

Second in Command, Wraith Fleet

Bushi of the Dragon Council

By SDF matches do you mean scripted MP campaigns? I know OF SDF and even though I've lurked here since this current sight went online I wasn't active around the time the SDF stuff was going...

Here's my two bits:

We've already dealt with this problem, for the foreseable future. In the RPing Servers, which are the ones we really care about, the only ships that will carry the GCV or ECV or ICV designations will be those belonging to fleets. The members of the fleets already have a way of dealing with this problem, that being that the first commander to post the ship name, gets dibs. That means that there will be one and only one GCV-Tsunami, one GCV-Diligence, and one GCV-Warmonger. There may be a thousand UCV Tsunamis, but no one will mistake them for Blades.

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

S36 Commander, Gamma Wing

To backtrack a bit, Vorpal, the reason you saw duplicate names on the roster is because those were the commanders who logged in, registered, and were never heard from again. Perhaps one or two technical questions but that was it. Which leads to Akira's interesting point about stats keeping. I think the additional info of the commanders name will keep the stats straight. There might be two Phoenix's but only one Chavik/Phoenix and one So&So/Phoenix. Not that I wouldn't be a bit jealous mind you. I was the first two or three times it happened here then I decided I was being a bit childish about the whole thing. There was even a GCV Phoenix that posted for a while.

Since we only deal with text here I have no problem with those examples you posted Akira. They clearly aren't me. Phoen IX (9 wink.gif) is almost cool. If two players had similiar names and were on the same side everyone would probably fall back to handles anyway. Especially when voice comms is enabled.

But interesting point about the stats.

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Pre-Commissioning Crew, Starstation Destiny

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

The issue with duplicate ship names, will be up to the Fleet Commanders to sort out. Yes, it is a first come first basis.

Further, even on a 16 player BCM server, no two people logged in, can have the same commander or ship name.

Ron, my ship's name is GCV-Dark Star. No problem here - I think it is the only ship in one of the GALCOM fleets carrying that name.

IMHO it is no problem if ships with different signatures used the same name, for ex. GCV-Dark Star, ICV-Dark Star, ECV-Dark Star, and UCV-Dark Star are different ships belonging to different fleets.

Btw., he is my successor in commanding the Marauders Wing of Wraith. If he needed a "Dark Star" as ship name, he would be given command over my old lady. It used to be the Marauders flag ship anyway. wink.gif

Regards.

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Joe Gudihl

GCV-Dark Star

Prime Fleet

"Remember, we are trained professionals... Don't try this at home!"

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

[This message has been edited by Thomas Siemens (edited 03-04-2000).]

Guest Ron Wallin

hehe, there i go sticking my foot in the big stinky pile again... oops!

Vorpal, I appologize for the confusion. I hope to see the Cmdr. of the Marauder Wing in action soon.

Thomas:That's quite a coincidence, I wasn't even aware of it. I'll take it as a good omen =)

And I'll say this one last time. If someone does indeed have my ship's name claimed already (and I think I've caused enough noise that he would have spoken up BY NOW :] ) then I will change my ship's name once again. It's NO problem, but the 'search topics' isn't a good way to go about checking.

[This message has been edited by Vorpal (edited 03-03-2000).]

Since I've been offline it seems that a few things have happened. It's nice to see that however there have been no emails in my inbox till just recently, if this had been a problem I would expect to have been informed earlier than this. Even though I probably would not have responded. I've had very little time for offline let alone online time. Online wise it's hard when you have to buy a new PC just to come back to this.

But now - I'm back. A new coat of paint etc, blah blah blah.

------------------

Commander Darien Wolfe

GCV Blackstar

Orion Fleet

Darien it is glad you hear from you again. I will send you out an E-mail to catch you up on things. Great to have you back buddy.

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

ACTING FLEET XO

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by GREG MILLER (edited 03-05-2000).]