merging SCID Fleet

Derek,

I have been following the SCID fleet not having a fleet commander and that you might incorporate the SCID into an existing GALCOM Fleet. I was wondering if that fleet could be the ISS Fleet. Here are my reasons.

ISS Fleet is in charge of all intelligence and support for the Sol System and other GALCOM systems and allies. SCID is a

counter-intelligence/counter-insurgency force. This is also a primary function of the ISS Fleet. All intelligence and counter-intelligence should be done by the same people to coordinate the efforts. I want to consolidate the Intelligence gathering efforts and covert operations into as few scattered areas as possible. If SCID does not come into ISS, then there will be 3 Intelligence gathering fleets, ISS, SCID, and Wraith. That is too many, this leads to confusion within the ranks and miscommunication. I can use ISS as an intelligence gathering fleet and I can use SCID as counter-intelligence fleet. This leaves Wraith as a another intel fleet and the communication lines are more secure.

SCID wouldn't be destroyed but would exist as a sub fleet. All current members of the SCID would still function in their normal roles. Since SCID does not have a Fleet Commander, I have a perfect cantidate for Fleet Commander within the ISS Fleet. I do not want to loose him from the ISS Fleet and I think this expanded role could help GALCOM's intelligence and counter-intelligence community. If SCID becomes a division of ISS Fleet then I will recommend that Cmdr. Tringad be promoted to Fleet Commander and assume duties of the fleet. He would report directly to me as ISS Fleet Leader, but he would be responsible for SCID Fleet as if it were a stand alone fleet.He is a very capable cantidate for the job, and I know he wants to stay associated with ISS. This way I can use his talents in a more expanded role.

I like Tac's idea of having members from other fleets be on TDY (Temporary Duty) with SCID. These TDY stints can be 6 month rotations that a fleet sends 2 of it's commanders to us.

I know first hand through the military in real life how intelligence information can get messed up, I know this is only a role playing scenario, but as BC3K world expands and once we get multiplayer online going, then these lines of communication will breakdown and the confusion will be greater because everyone is going to want to do some form of glory hunting. So if we can control and get this worked out now, it will be a lot of fun for everyone.

So I thought that this would be a solution to all the mess. Let me know what you decide.

Fleet Cmdr. Jeehun Ristar

GCV Shogun, ISS02

Fleet Leader – ISS Fleet

Intelligence and Espionage Wing Commander – ISS Fleet

Shogun of the Dragon Council – Order of the Jade Dragon

-Commander’s Shield

www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206/iss

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Ristar (edited 03-16-2000).]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Approved.

Let me know when its sorted out. Then submit the new structure to Rattler to gove over and forward to me. I'll then update the fleet and fleet faq pages.

Also, as of today, all Fleet Leaders are now promoted to Fleet Commander rank. This is just to avoid confusion - besides, I never liked Fleet Leader anyway, sounded too simplistic. Once multiplayer goes online, each FC will be responsible for promoting their own commanders, within each fleet, with final approval from me.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 03-16-2000).]

My congratulations to you, Newly Appointed Fleet Commanders, One and All. Well deserved I might add.

quote:

As Supreme Commander of GALCOM forces, Insurgent One (Rattler) has as much control over his Insurgent forces, as I do over GALCOM.

If it's all right with you Derek, I've grown fond of Insurgent One over the past 2+ years. I'd like to keep that Rank. wink.gif

Again, "Well Done, Gents'"

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Spectre Fleet

Spectre StarStation

ICV Necromancer

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Long Live The Insurgency, Long Live Mother Earth, And Long Live Battlecruiser Developers and Fans!"

[This message has been edited by Rattler (edited 03-16-2000).]

Cool!

Well done, Alun! It's a title well deserved.

It had always struck me as a bit odd that Galcom had two fleets created to counter the insurgents. I initially overlooked it because I thought that SCID was part of Earthcom, and ISS was part of Galcom, ISS were the good guys of the intelligence business, whereas SCID were the dark side of terran military activity. This is fine from a storytelling point of view, but as a serious military structure it's a bit of a waste. Pooling the two fleets together makes for a powerful and useful organisation, able to gather and pool useful information, but also have the capability to act on it themselves, and use their knowledge of the 'tricks of the trade', so to speak to counter enemy intelligence efforts.

Makes a lot of sense IMHO, though I've never had any military or intelligence experience.

(I can also think of some nice uses of some of that experimental SCID equipment smile.gif)

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Defence Wing -ISS Fleet

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

ISS Fleet Recruiting Officer

http://www.watson-jones.swinternet.co.uk/Svoboda

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 03-17-2000).]

Rattler, Insurgents don't have the same rank structure as GALCOM forces - in fact, I'm not aware of any ranks for them at all. So, if you guys want to send me a rank proposal for you misfits, pass it on.

And am still waiting for those final fleet structures, as well as the single email with all links to the fleet structure html pages on the respective sites. What exactly is the hold up?

To all ISS/SCID Personnel

The SC has approved my plan for the command structure and ranks of the merged fleets. I have been promoted to Strategic Commander, Tringad has been promoted to Fleet Commander, and there is an additional slot available for a Fleet Commander. I will be working with Tringad in deciding who that person will be. My title is no longer ISS Fleet Commander, but Chief of Fleet Operations - ISS/SCID Fleet.

Derek, did you want me to post the ranks with their corresponding number of fleets commanding on here? If so just let me know and I will.

Derek, thanks for the promotions to myself an members of the Fleets, we won't let you down.

Strategic Cmdr. Jeehun Ristar

GCV Shogun, ISS02

Chief of Fleet Operations - ISS/SCID Fleet

-Commander’s Shield

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Ristar (edited 03-17-2000).]

Right, Thought I had sent you that already Boss! I'll make a final pass through the threads and gather the links. Sure hope they're right though. I wouldn't want be the one who didn't comply with the guidelines. smile.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Spectre Fleet

Spectre StarStation

ICV Necromancer

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Long Live The Insurgency, Long Live Mother Earth, And Long Live Battlecruiser Developers and Fans!"

Since it's established that SCID is an EarthCom branch wouldn't it be safe to assume that T.C. McQueen would be over all commander of 15th Plantery Force and SCID. Earthcom has sort of been painted as a totally out of control CIA type military so therefor SCID would compliment that picture perfectly. With out SCID(CIA) what would EarthCom be then?

Since the framework of the Battlecrusier Universe is really being fleshed out here I just want to help to make sure things make sense and are balanced.

So is SCID part of EarthCom and do T.C. has command of it?

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 03-20-2000).]

Sheesh that was a fast response. smile.gif

Ristar don't get the wrong ideal I'm not trying to steal SCID away from you. Just trying to make sure EarthCom doesn't lose more than we already have.

SC, I'll get with T.C. as soon as possible to revamp our structure to incoporate SCID.

SCID commanders I know it's been sort of a roller coaster ride the past few days but hopefully all is settled now. I would suggest checking the EarthCom forum and EarthCom website to get assignments in the next few days.

------------------

EarthCOM-Officer Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

Epsilon Battle Group (Wolf Pack)

15th EarthCom Planetary Force

"When it comes down to it, Earth is first and everyone else can go to Hell."

I disagree. My point about making SCID a part of ISS was that SCID was a counter intelligence and counter insurgency fleet. EarthCOM is a police force for GALCOM. It has no need for a counter-intelligence/counter-insurgency need. Why would they? The SCID (or the equivalent to the CIA in real life) has no control over domestic matters, that's why it's a counter-intelligence / counter-Insurgency because it has control over foreign and not domestic matters. That was the idea of bringing it into an intelligence fleet to keep the same work done by the same people. Nothing was even being done with SCID until I noticed it, and suggested the merger.

What do you think SC?

GCV Shogun, ISS02

Chief of Fleet Operations – ISS/SCID Fleets

-Commander’s Shield

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Ristar (edited 03-20-2000).]

quote:

EarthCOM is a police force for GALCOM

Well, AFAIK EarthCom is somwhat more. Here the FAQ entry:

quote:

It is Earth's separate military forces. Though it is a mainly planetary force, it still has quite a few space bound assets.

quote:

Nothing was even being done with SCID until I noticed it, and suggested the merger.

Well, I just started to make a proposition for a possible Leader in the thread SCID Fleet News, two days before your suggestion. Just for the log...

Whew, first I thought we should find a worthy and responsible Leader for SCID. Now it is a competition between ISS and EarthCom? Hmm, maybe Karl Wolf and Jeehun Ristar just should come to some sort of agreement, instead of asking for Derek's decision every other mail. Just a suggestion! wink.gif

Thomas (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

[This message has been edited by Thomas Siemens (edited 03-20-2000).]

I am all for a comprimise. I had some ideas put into place for SCID. I have a Structure, etc. If Wolf wants to be Fleet Commander, I'll make him that. I wanted SCID under my control because I did things like that in real life in the military. I wanted to join the intel part of ISS and counter intel part of SCId into one.

Like I said if Wolf wants the Fleet commander position as well as his other, he is welcome to it. It could be a joint EarthCOM-ISS venture, where SCID still belongs to ISS but EarthCom does all the missions, and the SCID Personnel go on temporary duty to EarthCom to enforce the missions. That way ISS can do the mission planning part of it, like I have ideas for, and EarthCOM can do the missions, along with the SCID personnel I have lined up, and that way EarthCOM isn't losing anything and are gaining in their ranks temporarily during missions.

How about that as a comprimise.

GCV Shogun, ISS02

-Commander’s Shield

Karl,

I emailed you a proposal for a comprimise on the handling of the SCID fleet between ISS and EarthCOM. Let me know what you think.

GCV Shogun, ISS02

-Commander’s Shield

You are right I didn't take notice of SCID until only a few days ago when the fleet faq went up and I really realized that it was an EarthCom branch.

1. EarthCom is Earth's personal military force, responsible for Earth and Earth's assets security.

2. EarthCom is used for bringing renegade Galcom Commanders to justice.(Policing part)

3. EarthCom is the frontline force for stemming the tide of the Insurgency. SCID would help to fulfill this role perfectly.

ISS is a branch of GalCom and deals with intel on a much larger scale which includes all of the known galaxy while SCID is solely concerned with domestic affairs.

Why bring them under one roof? That's like putting EarthCom under the direct command of GalCom. The Galatic Command (which in case some of you forgot is an alliance between a group of nations) has it jurisdiction which is the known galaxy while Earthcom is concerned only with Sol system and Earth. All other alliance members in GalCom have their own personal military arms, which deals with domestic issues on their homeworld and is not the place of GalCom to get involved in the personal affairs of it's members.

That's why EarthCom would be the logical place for SCID. Just seems right and would serve only to highlight EarthComs role in the scheme of things.

Just my two cents.

------------------

ECV Hammer of God

I will look at your proposal but I'm opposed to any joint command. I'm a firm believer in keeping things as simple as possible. So to that end SCID should be place under ISS command or EarthCom command. The game is complex enough as it is and we don't need to make things anymore complicated than they already are. smile.gif

------------------

ECV Hammer of God

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 03-20-2000).]

I agree that EarthCOM is in the position to defend earth from the Insurgents and to protect it at all costs, but a police force in any fashion does not need to have the capabilities of counter-intelligence. If we are making real life comparisions as you are comparing the SCID to the CIA. The CIA has no legal bounds to take care of domestic affairs, it is illegal, that is what the FBI is for. The CIA takes care of everything outside the US. That is why I want to bring the SCID under one command. To use the SCID's counter-intelligence mission for OUTSIDE GALCOM missions. If we want to make a more reasonable comprimise then we create another fleet for use by EarthCOM, it would be the domestic counterpart to the SCID, call it the EIC, Earth Intelligence Command, this way it has all jurisdiction over Earth jurisdiction, it would give power to EarthCOM to issue security clearances, interrogation, higher level police action, etc. That leaves SCID to its designd mission of counter intelligence against non domestic enemies.

Is that a better comprimise?

GCV Shogun, ISS02

-Commander’s Shield

Here's another option, if it is going to be a hassle to create an additional fleet. My structure for SCID involves 4 Wings or Directorates, ISS takes the 2 that deal with counter-intelligence and counter-insurgency and EarthCOM takes the 2 I had planned for Investigations and Operations. Both have the parts of the fleet that it feels they need. And they both control those 2 areas. For structure purposes it looks like there are 2 fleets with 2 directorates each, but not in reality, they fall under one command but it does not really need to be defined. Both ISS and EarthCOM will claim ownership of SCID, but the role of each claim of SCID will be defined in the roles each one plays. There will be 2 Fleet Commanders for SCID fleet, the one for ISS and the one for EarthCOM. They are separate entities under that fleet. THis way we get what we want from SCID and no new fleet

How about that?

GCV Shogun, ISS02

-Commander’s Shield

Ristar why create another fleet or branch for EarthCom when SCID is already there and is part of EarthCom.

And I use the term CIA because that's what has been used to descride a function of EarthCom since day one. And also you mention that it's illegal for CIA to handle domestic affairs well that explanation help reinforce one reason the insurgency even exist. Because it's alleged that EarthCom used illegal methods to surpress freedom of speech and so forth. So that even more reason for SCID to be a part of EarthCom. smile.gif

I was thinking about that, and you are right about SCID being radical. I still would like to have a counter-insurgency fleet under my command. So I sent the SC a proposal about haveing a "directorate" within ISS take the place of SCID within ISS and I'll call it GCIA (Galactic Counter Intelligence Agency). EarthCOM can use SCID for what ever it wishes within Earth Space, then GCIA takes care of out of Earth Space.

This involves no creation of a new fleet, because SCID was a part of ISS anyway, so it's just like a major division under ISS. I can keep the structure I have now and implemented only SCID would change to GCIA, and EarthCOM will have and SCID fleet.

I think that should work for what both sides are looking for. Theres no actual new fleet. and both sides have what they want.

GCV Shogun, ISS02

-Commander’s Shield

Ristar I'm not trying to hassel you or anything like. I'm just like things to make sense espiecally when it comes to something like the BC universe.

And I just stated it would make more sense if SCID was under the command of EarthCom. Therefor all things domestic would be handled by EarthCom and all things forgien by GalCom, nice and simple. smile.gif

But here are a couple facts stated on this website about SCID and the order of things.

1) SCID is an EarthCom Asset.

2) T.C. McQueen is the Commander of SCID.

Nuff said.

We could go back and forth till kingdom come but we would only agree to disagree about SCID.

I've stated my opinion about SCID and why it should be under the command of Earth Command and not ISS/GalCom. So, I'm perfectly happy to let the Supreme Commander or notable representive of his choosing, make the final decision about SCID.

I agree after thinking about it, and I posted my idea, so we'll see how that goes. Here is the structure for my idea:

www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206/iss/fleet.jpg

GCIA looks like a separate fleet, with it's own fleet commander, but it still will fall under the ISS and not create and actual GALCOM fleet. It has it's own commander because of it's role, etc.

GCV Shogun, ISS02

-Commander’s Shield

Sounds like a plan to me so what happens to current commanders signed up with SCID? Under your plan do they stay with SCID or go with GCIA? Or are they even given a choice seeing the suspension on fleet transfers.

------------------

ECV Hammer of God

well the members i have in SCID now were ISS members, so they would stay with ISS, I have some new recruits that I was going to put in SCID, but they will go into GCIA

Hell, we can even share personnel if you want, to do TDY swaping if you want to make it even more radical.

If you guys in EarthCOM want I am doing some ship structures I'll email mine to you if you want and we can set some up for EarthCOM or any of the other fleets. If you want Ill send one by email, I think they look good.

GCV Shogun, ISS02

Chief of Fleet Operations – ISS/SCID (or GCIA??) Fleets

-Commander’s Shield

Well those decsions I'll leave up to T.C. what you can do is send your proposal to him and we'll review them and decided whether we'll swap personnel or just keep it all seperate.

And who said two neighbors couldn't work out their differences. smile.gif

------------------

ECV Hammer of God