Fleet Registration Open

Thats right. Go register. You can use the link below or go via the Fleets link on the main site page

www.3000ad.com/fleets/db

I have created profiles for each of the Fleet Leaders and given them security level 2 access.

Fleet Leaders, go to your fleet link, select your name and log-in. Your log-in password is the same as your forum password. If you don't know your forum password (because you are using cookies), send email to [email protected], requesting it.

Once you are logged into your profile, you can change any details you want. Do not change your username because there is a bug which will cause you to lock yourself out. Tonite, Justin is going to fix it so that you cannot change a username, once it has been registered.

There are 4 levels of security and Justin and I are the only ones with level 4 clearance.

quote:

Level 3
: Alliance Leader. You can edit/create alliances (
GALCOM, EARTHCOM etc
), wings etc and do other higher level tasks such as authorizing new recruits, add/kick commanders in your fleets/wings etc.

Level 2
: Fleet Leader. You can edit/create wings, authorize new recruits, add/kick commanders in your wings etc.

Level 1
: Wing Leader. You have mimimal wing ops command.

Level 0
: Commander. You only have powers over certain parts of your profile.

Leaders can also click on a commander's name and edit their profile. You may want to do this if they are reassigned, given new mission zones etc.

Leaders are responsible for the upkeep of their database. So, check everyday, for new recruits.

You can also assign assets, ranks, medals etc but only as per multiplayer engagements in a controlled environment. eg, if you we have a multiplayer game going that is designated as an rpg, then, once that session ends, you can update the database with medals, rank, EPs etc. The exception is that officers in a fleet heirarchy, should have the highest rank attainable, right of the bat. So, once you get online today and update your records, make sure you change your ranks accordingly. Until further notice, I am the only one with Supreme Commander rank.

Be careful when assigning assets and mission zones. If I see any ridiculous looking settings, eg wing members all flying Stormcarriers, I'm not going to change it - I will delete the record and demote the leader. For the leaders I created, I put in random assets, zones etc - go ahead and change them. Also remember that when assigning assets, do so according to the selected carrier. Someone signing up for Elite Force Marine career, has no business being handed a fighter. I will provide a chart later, which depicts the actual game choices for careers. Until then, when in doubt, employ common sense initiative.

By the same token, be sensible in wing asset allocations. Wings assigned to surface ops, won't be controlling anything but fighters or ground vehicles - and in some cases, transports - epecially if you are a trader or the transport guy.

At the end of the day, it is up to the leaders to make sure that everyone runs smoothly. I paid to get this database done, after one volunteer, didn't come thru or even bother to give us an explanation. As such, if this FD is abused, I'd be pissed.

I am not going to allow public persistent servers in BCM. Ever. The only persistent servers will be those that 3000AD sets up and they will be purely for use by fleets. They will be called Fleet Alliance Servers and will be designated, FAS1, FAS2 etc.

This means that if your fleet leader doesn't give you the server access password, you can't log in. And if you get booted for misbehaving, you're not coming back.

Also, unlike the 8 players per server limit of public servers, an FAS will support up to 64 players, depending on the pipe its running off. I'm going to try and ensure that they all run off high-speed backbones.

Only serious BCM gamers, need register for a fleet. And leaders are required to hold weekly meetings (we have two IRC chat servers) in order to determine the status of members, discuss plans, structures etc. If someone doesn't show up for a meeting, change their status to inactive, until you hear from them. And if they miss more than 3 meetings in a row, delete their record and remove them from the fleet - never to return.

We already know that members cannot move from one alliance to another. However, wing and fleet transfers, within an alliance, are permited. Just remember that in order to transfer someone from fleet to the next, you have to be at security level 3 or 4.

Leaders will be responsible for ensuring that members, never, ever change their assets when logging into FAS servers. eg, if you are registered in your fleet, as an Elite Force Pilot, in control of a P21-Vandal and you are seen logging in with any other craft, you will be kicked off the server and court-martialed. Enough said. So, choose your career wisely. And in doing so, remember that at the end of the day, the leader has the final word. If he thinks he has enough fighter pilots and needs marines or commanders, and then designates you as one of those, you have no choice but to accept. If an opening becomes available, you can put in request for a transfer.

On public servers, you can do what the heck you like. And nothing prevents you from logging into a public server with your FAS character. Just know that your stats would not be updated in the database and your personal log should not contain anything pertaining to your adventures outside this realm.

Couple of things that Justin is going to be cleaning up tonite, and which don't affect the database as it is now:

• The Undesignated alliance will be modified so that it is more of a group. This is because, raiders, explorers, traders etc, don't have fleets and should not be treated as such. It will be modified so that different groups can be created and then any UCV member can join the desired group. I am going to be the only ranking person in charge of that group, but in time, I will give serious members, level 2 access to each group. Doing this will allow for corporations, consortiums etc, to be formed by those who are only interested in the commercial and trading aspects of the game.

• The ranks/medals lists need to be modified for multiple entries.

• Restriction on username changing

• The term 'ship' will be changed to 'asset', in order to match BCM's use of the terminology, seeing that not all careers have access to ships.

• The commanders log will be made part of the profile view page, so that everyone, selecting your name, can see your log entries. This log, btw, is for you to put in anything you want, regarding either your FAS multiplayer experiences, or RPG storyline.

• Field error reporting will be implemented so if a form is filled out and missing some required fields, the error message will say what fields are missing.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 08-24-2000).]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good, SC. Just one thing though, why does the registration page have an option for the user status? I mean, someone could have registered as something dumb like KIA. Apart from that, everything looks great.

Hats off to Justin!

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight

Prime Fleet

S26 Commander, Beta Wing

Looks very nice, great job justin!

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

This is from the fleet faq....

AVAILABLE FLEETS

There are a total of six Fleets in existence, five GALCOM, one EarthCOM and one Insurgent, each of which will be covered here briefly.

1. PRIME FLEET.

2. ORION FLEET.

3. ISS FLEET.

4. WRAITH FLEET.

5. EARTHCOM FLEET.

6. SPECTRE FLEET.

I think it should say that there are six fleets... FOUR Galcom one Earthcom, One Insurgent... etc...

Unless there is some hidden fleet I don't know about... smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

Guest aramike01

Certainly is outstanding! Great work, gents. smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Tac is correct. Anyway, I've corrected the FAQ.

And while we're on the subject, I've given the CAT crew, level 3 security access to the Fleet Database. This way, if fleet leaders are slacking up and to prevent the new recruits count from piling up, they can go in and do the approval. The fleet leaders can go in later and make whatever corrections they want. Alliance/Fleet leaders have higher authority when it comes to administering their fleets, CAT is just there for higher level admin reasons, similar to the excellent job they do of keeping riff-raff out of this forum but weeding out and denying access to undesirables.

Also, just because you see a CAT member with Alliance Leader security clearance, doesn't necessarily mean they have anything to do with the particular fleet. eg, Andergum has level 3 clearance, as does Rattler, but Rattler is the bona fide Alliance Leader of the Insurgents, not Andergum. Get it? Got it? Good!

Finally, tonite, I have approved a bunch of new recruits today and just put in random values for launch base, asset etc, it is the responsibility of fleet leaders to go in and make any necessary changes.

Justin is putting in the last minute touches, in addition to a new fleet bulletin option which is similar to the comms log. This can be used for fleet bulletin news, announcements, meeting schedules etc and can be viewed from each individual fleet details page.

I would suggest that fleet leaders hold a meeting this coming weekend, in order to sort out the rank and file. Any fleet leader who doesn't get his/her act in gear in the upcoming weeks, will be courtmartialed, demoted and long standing member or not, will not get access to FAS servers. Period.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 08-24-2000).]

Ok... this still doesn't add up....

the fleet faq says....

>AVAILABLE FLEETS

>There are a total of six Fleets in existence, five GALCOM, one EarthCOM and one Insurgent, >each of which will be covered here briefly.

5 + 1 + 1 = 7 .... it says six... smile.gif

The listed fleets are...

>1. PRIME FLEET.

>2. ORION FLEET.

>3. ISS FLEET.

>A. CIOPS. (CIOPS is a branch of ISS Fleet.)

>4. WRAITH FLEET.

>5. EARTHCOM FLEET.

>A. SCID.(SCID Fleet is a branch of EARTHCOM)

>6. SPECTRE FLEET.

I'm not arguing the number of fleets... just the way its worded...

The fact that members of Galcom and Earthcom can be part of SCID confuses it a bit... but it doesn't seem right to me to say that there are a total of six fleets.... and then list seven in the same sentence.. smile.gif

BTW.... the fleet data base is totally cool... excellent job Justin!!!

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

[This message has been edited by Andergum (edited 08-25-2000).]

Didn't I fix that yesterday?

btw, in addition to some bugs that Justin is fixing, I asked him to put in a couple of other features which would make the FD a little easier for leaders. For one thing, there will be a bulletin feature on each fleet page. This is similar to the log and will allow leaders to post bulletins that all can read.

There will also be an additional private log (as opposed to the public one which is only viewable by the person whose profile it is.

And speaking of logs, once you have read messages from me, in your log, you can delete it.

Hey Justin, could you please add a link in the Profile so we can go back to the Fleet Details page instead of having to go back to the Fleet Database main page.

(yah yah, use the back button... heeehee) wink.gif

Hello SC, sorry I've been sorta missing in action lately but I've been under the gun with job re-organization. frown.gif Just found out about Fleet database toay but I will be unable to do much with it right now. I will be out of the country on vaction for the next 10 days but as soon as I get back will hop all over it. I'll try and get in contact with T.C. also to see what's going on with him, I hadn't heard from him in awhile.

Well you all take care and see you soon.

------------------

EarthCOM-Officer Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

Epsilon Battle Group (Black Guard)

15th EarthCom Planetary Force

"When it comes down to it, Earth is first and everyone else can go to Hell."

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 08-25-2000).]

k, Karl, no problem.

btw, any of you guys thinking of doing having FD updates (re-arranging the default assets, launch bases etc), can pretty much forget about it. VServers, my web ISP, are having major network problems (3 of their OC3 routers blew a card and they're waiting for CISCO to get the replacements in tonite) which probably won't be fixed until tomorrow morning they said.

I'm trying to register in the fleet database but when I hit submit it says there is a parsing error line 1

I am HTML stupid so I have no idea what this means...little help?

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

*1st Squadron,*HammerHead Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Masada

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

Justin recently uploaded his latest changes, so, that could be the problem. I've sent him email and called him at home so that this can get fixed asap, seeing that most people will be registering over this weekend.

Keep trying

SC, is that restriction of 128X128 pixels for the fleet DB mugshot set in stone?

could I use one that's say, 150X150 or less?

------------------

Cmdr. Hidama Hasaki

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

Stationed, Starstation Wrath

you might as well stay and fight, because if you run, you will only die tired

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=

Guest aramike01

I'll field this one - wink.gif

Hidama, 128X128 is indeed set in stone. The DB has been designed to only allow that size, I would imagine.

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Fleet Commander

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 08-29-2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by aramike01:

I'll field this one -
wink.gif

Hidama, 128X128 is indeed set in stone. The DB has been designed to only allow that size, I would imagine.

Since the DB is actually only storing a URL, it is quite possible to use any size image; technically speaking. That said, I can still think of a couple of valid reasons to enforce 128 x 128:

1. Download speed. It's not call the "World Wide Wait" for nothing and we are encouraging a bit of bandwidth theft by using a url instead of actually storing the image. In short, smaller is kinder.

2. Perhaps the images may be usable in BCO/BCM and those might require 128 x 128? Speculation of course.

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

GCV Falcon

S.O.G.

Sationed, Starstation Wraith

"You can't run and you can't hide."

ICQ # 85470286 (GMT -7)

=Wraith Fleet=

[This message has been edited by Tyrn (edited 08-30-2000).]

well, the db allow's larger sizes (look at the SC's picture) and that same pic is used in the game (as seen in early screenshots) the one that I'm using now is 150X150, slightly larger and I don't see any change in load time (after clearing my cache and even trying it on another computer)

The DB has allowed that size, but I just want to be sure I won't be crucified for it.

------------------

Cmdr. Hidama Hasaki

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

Stationed, Starstation Wrath

you might as well stay and fight, because if you run, you will only die tired

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=