Fleet Registration Open

Guest aramike01

I stand corrected. Regardless, please adhere to the rules of the DB until notified otherwise. In that light, I've removed the picture from your profile.

quote:

(optional - must not exceed 128x128 pixels)

That doesn't seem to be open for interpretation.

If the SC says it's OK, then feel free to replace it there.

Until then, please keep in mind that the SC put the limit at 128X128 for a purpose.

-Mike

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 08-30-2000).]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he put the rule there for a reason, just didn't think it was solid cause he, himself didn't adhere to it. In any case, I'm not complaining nor am I questioning the SC.

I trimmed the pic down to the limit and re-posted it.

------------------

Cmdr. Hidama Hasaki

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

Stationed, Starstation Wrath

you might as well stay and fight, because if you run, you will only die tired

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=

The reason I asked Justin to put in that warning, is to prevent exactly what I'm now reading about, from happening. Though I indicated that 128x128 should be the max limit, it was to prevent people from putting in URLs to large pics because it will screw up the profiles page and cause slow loading.

My pic had an unusual size, because it was scanned. In order to preserve the aspect ration, I had to scale it to 128x174 because it looks wrong at 128x128.

So, maybe 256x256 would be the size limit, but I'm not inclined to change the FD warning. So, if yours is 150x150, go ahead and use it.

Thanks SC. Sorry 'bout the commotion wink.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Hidama Hasaki

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=

Guest Commander Hamblin

Hmm, maybe it'd be possible to overlay a Galcom uniform onto it, eh? biggrin.gif

------------------

COMMANDER JAMES HAMBLIN

ORION FLEET

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING COMMANDER

GCV GALATEA.

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"For I dip't into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

Good work, Commander. In the future, if I have any questions about mating behaviour, I'll know where to go - Captain Kathryn Janeway.

Guest aramike01

Nope, Josh. It's not. But, Hamblin's rank is "Commander" which he has denoted properly.

Wing Commander is a position, although, if I may recommend, it may be a good idea to change that to "Wing Leader", for obvious reasons.

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

Commanding Officer

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

People use those Custom Ranks. Well, they should remember to use only Commander, and not to denote a position. Custom Ranks are for Alliances like the Insurgents. Positions like "Staff Chief" or "Wing Comander/Leader" are not ranks.

Maybe we can denote the position in brackets? Like: Commander (Staff Chief) or Commander (Wing Leader).

Thomas (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

In the US Army they differentiate between staff and command responsibilites of the same rank by putting either "Staff" or "Command" in front of it. Like Sergeant Major is the highest enlisted rank. There are 3 types of Sergeant Major: Staff Sergeant Major, which serves on a staff but no command responsibility, a Command Sergeant Major, which has command responsibility as the highest enlisted soldier in a type of unit, and the final type is the Sergeant Major of the Army, there is only one and he/she is the highest enlisted soldier in the US Army.

Maybe we can come up with a designation like that for the various duty positions, like :Staff Commander and Nova Commander (or Star Commander) to make it a more general term to be applicable to all instances, anyway just a suggestion

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Jeehun Ristar

GCV Shogun, ISS02

Fleet Commander - ISS Fleet/CIOPS

Shogun of the Dragon Council ÔÇô Order of the Jade Dragon

-CommanderÔÇÖs Shield

ISS / CIOPS Fleet Home Page

a MUCH more simple term we could use: MFWIC wink.gif

think people in the US military use that term, I know the Canadian's use it all the time to identify anyone their CO's tongue.gif

Easier to remember and quicker to type wink.gif

------------------

MFWIC Hidama Hasaki wink.gif

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Hidama (edited 08-31-2000).]

I use DB custom Rank of "Wing Commander" for the leaders of my Wings. It only denotes they command the Wing, but their rank is still that of Commander.

Likewise, I have Fighter Commander for the leader of Fighter Command and Marine Core Commander for the leader of the Wraith Marine units.

They are not RANK, rather positions inside the fleet.

If the SC wants me to change that, I could make them become "Command Officer" instead of the current DB Custom rank... or something else.

I was under the impression that teh Wing Commander and other "positions" inside the player fleets were allowed. If this was changed please let me know and I'll correct it.

I think Wing Commander would be a correct designation, it is not a rank but a duty position. Like in the navy, the captain of a vessel does not necessarily hold the rank of captain. On certain vessels, the CO might be a commander or even a Lt. Commander, but he is stilled called "Captain" due to his duty position. So even though a commander is called Wing Commander, it doesn't mean he holds a higher rank, it is just his duty position title.

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Jeehun Ristar

GCV Shogun, ISS02

Fleet Commander - ISS Fleet/CIOPS

Shogun of the Dragon Council ÔÇô Order of the Jade Dragon

-CommanderÔÇÖs Shield

ISS / CIOPS Fleet Home Page

Sorry SC but there is to much bovine excrement floating around here that I feel need to be addressed.

If given a choice between Wing Commander and Wing Leader then I say neither. In the Commander's signature spell out the title; e.g. Corsair Wing Leader or place some other attachment to denote a command position *Corsair Wing.

This is not the forum to debate this IMO.

My four bits minus two.

TTFN

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

*1st Squadron, *Corsair Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Cerberus

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

ICQ# 29486270, EST (GMT-5)

=Wraith Fleet=

Second in Command, Wraith Fleet

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 08-31-2000).]

HI folks,

well has been a long time, and i guess it will be longer still until i can do anything again, beside sending one loose mail or posting on thread, but i have some things on my mind, some concern the DB

Hm you did accounts for the fleet leaders, well neither "T C McQueen" (which is the name in this forum, nor "T. C. McQueen" work as the log-in name for the DB.

And Karl we definitiv need to get in touch, but as i can't use ICQ anymore, the reasons are to long to explain, it will have to be through email, as you will have to do the work or it won't be done, if anyone else feels that he is qualified to maintain the earthcom website, as i don't have the time or resources anymore, as anyone can see on the last updated tiem stamp on the page, feel free to contact me at [email protected], i'll then set you up as coadmin for the site, but be sure i'll check by from time to time and if any changes do not suit me i'll delete them, and depending on the changes remove your access.

Ok, has been a good time in the past, i hope it will change for me again, but for now im out of luck, so fare well for now fellow commanders, maybe we will see us again (more often than now) once BCM is released, but im not sure.

*snaps a salute to the community and the SC in particular*

------------------

Commodore T. C. McQueen

ECV-Saratoga

15th EarthCOM Planetary Force, Alpha Group

"One time a marine, always amarine, and to hell with anyting that stands in our way!"

Earth Command

www.earthcom.de

Guest aramike01

Guys, it really should not be Wing Commander. As I said before, that's for obvious reasons. Just leave it as wing leader, or better, or use Gallion's idea.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

Fleet Commander

ICV-Intrepid

How about prefixing "Commanding Officer" (or whatever the position is) in front of the wing name (or section etc.)

For example Commander Hamblin's could be done as:

Commanding Officer GALATEA EXPLORATION WING

Guest aramike01

OK, to clarify...

Wing Leader (commander, boss, whatever) is not a rank. It is a position. From what I recall, if you're GALCOM you must use GALCOM ranks, starting with Commander. There is no Wing-whatever in the GALCOM ranking system.

In other words, say a wing leader was promoted to above commander. He'd carry his new rank, but unless he got a new position, he'd still be the Wing Leader.

In the DB, don't use wing leader as a custom rank if you're GALCOM because it's not a rank.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

Fleet Commander

ICV-Intrepid

Its been a long time since i have been on this board... quite a while. Probably don't even remember me... anyway, I would have to agree that people should be using regular GalCom ranks, if they are GalCom.

Guest Commander Hamblin

aramike01, that is exactly my point. My rank is Commander. My position is Wing Commander. I'm not Wing Commander James Hamblin. I'm Commander James Hamblin, the Galatea Exploration Wing - Wing Commander.

My rank is Commander.

My position is Wing Commander.

I'd have thought this was obvious. confused.gif

------------------

COMMANDER JAMES HAMBLIN

ORION FLEET

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING COMMANDER

GCV GALATEA.

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"For I dip't into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

Good work, Commander. In the future, if I have any questions about mating behaviour, I'll know where to go - Captain Kathryn Janeway.

Guest aramike01

Err, Hamblin, I wasn't talking to you. As a matter of fact, had you read a few posts back (the first page of this thread), you would have found this:

quote:

But, Hamblin's rank is "Commander" which he has denoted properly.

I was breaking it down for everyone who seems, well, confused.

Anyway, you should know that "Wing Commander" is not a position. That would be Wing Leader, just like it's written in the FDB.

Ammend - Tom, I believe "Wing Leader" appears in brackets in the DB already.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

Fleet Commander

ICV-Intrepid

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 09-01-2000).]