Who wants a new member?

Well, I've heard from Orion, Wraith, and ISS. Now I would like to hear from Spectre fleet, specifically about why the Insurgents attack GALCOM and Earthcom (your opinions, not what the FAQs or manuals say), and the obligations of a newbie Insurgent.

After that, I'll decide whether I will join an alliance or stay indie and start a non-military career.

One more thing: no more bickering between the fleets in this thread. The commanders here are representatives of their fleets and alliances, and I prefer civil behaviour in this neutral place. If a commander ignores this warning and continues the unnecessary posturing, I'm taking note of his or her fleet and plan on avoiding its recruitment office.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

rp

Well with the lemming mortality rate, I might be relocating my HQ... to Centris.

/rp

[rp]Over my Dead, Broken Hull! Hell, I just may move my chair over to Nevuela.[/rp]

Menchise, if you are a dedicated Commander, Orion welcomes you.

quote:

Well, I've heard from Orion, Wraith, and ISS. Now I would like to hear from Spectre fleet, specifically about why the Insurgents attack GALCOM and Earthcom (your opinions, not what the FAQs or manuals say), and the obligations of a newbie Insurgent.

Check up the thread. Yuo've heard from Spectre.

quote:

One more thing: no more bickering between the fleets in this thread. The commanders here are representatives of their fleets and alliances, and I prefer civil behaviour in this neutral place. If a commander ignores this warning and continues the unnecessary posturing, I'm taking note of his or her fleet and plan on avoiding its recruitment office.

Be forewarned: no fleet personnel (esp. fleet commander) is going to follow the 'orders' of a RECRUIT.

Fleets aren't here to entertain recruits, and fleet commanders can just as easily reject you as they can accept you.

'Nuff said.

Now, in Spectre Fleet, and any Insurgent fleet for that matter, a new recruit is simply expected to remain active on this board and in Insurgent discussions. We ARE NOT GALCOM! While Blades and Orion fleet may want you to post all over the place in order to be "active", we define "active" a little different. First, you must be present when we call out your name. Second, if you want to get anywhere, you must be willing to help out with any tasks that come up. Thirdly, you must obey the rules of this board at all times.

That's it. I have no problem with kicking cavalier (read: useless) commanders, and neither does any other fleet commander.

So, to conclude, if you want to join a fleet, you ASK for acceptance - you don't go off and TELL us what we MUST do. Fleets are private, and if you aren't wanted, you aren't getting in.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: aramike ]

Yup, think Mike just about covered it.

Last point - Orion doesnt want whiners, dictators (Only one allowed) or problamatic commanders that have issues with observing the chain of command and pulling their weight. Sure, Im kinda strict on the behaviour of my people, and I do ask a lot of them but it's done for a good reason.

Fellowship.

We work hard, we play hard. You want to be proud of your contributions, you have to make them. Simple as.

"One more thing: no more bickering between the fleets in this thread. The commanders here are representatives of their fleets and alliances, and I prefer civil behaviour in this neutral place. If a commander ignores this warning and continues the unnecessary posturing, I'm taking note of his or her fleet and plan on avoiding its recruitment office."

Im impressed, first time a newcomer actually has the iniciative to prevent a thread from becoming into and rp recruit flamefest (which we all love and enjoy ) .

Look over the fleet websites, fleet threads and make your decision. Each fleet has something different to offer. I aint gonna waste my time telling you what Wraith is, its in the fleet FAQ and in our website.

All in all, I hope I dont have to end up seeing you as a red contact in my targeting systems

quote:

Be forewarned: no fleet personnel (esp. fleet commander) is going to follow the

'orders' of a RECRUIT.

Fleets aren't here to entertain recruits, and fleet commanders can just as easily reject you as they can accept you.

I'm aware of the need for recruits to follow fleet orders, but I'm not a recruit (at least not yet). Just a curious civilian examining the pros and cons and describing what I'm looking for.

quote:

I have no problem with kicking cavalier (read: useless) commanders, and

neither does any other fleet commander.

So, to conclude, if you want to join a fleet, you ASK for acceptance - you don't go off and TELL us what we MUST do. Fleets are private, and if you aren't wanted, you aren't getting in.

I wasn't trying to seize power or anything like that.

At the very beginning of this thread I clearly pointed out that I only wanted descriptions of the fleets and why you think I might like being a part of them. I also pointed out that I wanted NO silly boasting. I did this for a reason, which I'll explain in the next paragraph. I don't mind flamefests in an RPG forum (I'm sure they're lots of fun), but they don't belong in this thread.

I'm not expecting acceptance (that's for the fleet commander to decide), but I do expect a military fleet to have the discipline to demonstrate their power and abilities wisely. Flamefests in front of civilians, especially civilians who are thinking about applying for membership, shows a lack of discipline in the fleet.

I'm looking for a fleet that is aggressive on the battlefield and respectful off the battlefield, a fleet that has power and the discipline to use it wisely. Any fleet that doesn't have those qualities will have no need to reject me because I will not ask for their acceptance.

I'm going to go take another look at the websites now.

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

quote:

I wasn't trying to seize power or anything like that.

At the very beginning of this thread I clearly pointed out that I only wanted descriptions of the fleets and why you think I might like being a part of them. I also pointed out that I wanted NO silly boasting. I did this for a reason, which I'll explain in the next paragraph. I don't mind flamefests in an RPG forum (I'm sure they're lots of fun), but they don't belong in this thread.

I'm not expecting acceptance (that's for the fleet commander to decide), but I do expect a military fleet to have the discipline to demonstrate their power and abilities wisely. Flamefests in front of civilians, especially civilians who are thinking about applying for membership, shows a lack of discipline in the fleet.

I'm looking for a fleet that is aggressive on the battlefield and respectful off the battlefield, a fleet that has power and the discipline to use it wisely. Any fleet that doesn't have those qualities will have no need to reject me because I will not ask for their acceptance.

I'm going to go take another look at the websites now.

Uhm, this is RP, man. If you want it to be realistic in the area of discipline, etc., then you're looking in the wrong place. I mean, how can someone SHOP for the fleet they want to join?

You said that you would avoid a certain fleet's recruitment office. The point is, there isn't a fleet here that CARES. A civilian/potential recruit isn't going to dictate policy using THEMSELVES as the "threat".

Now, if you want information, ask precise questions of precise people.

quote:

Uhm, this is RP, man. If you want it to be realistic in the area of discipline, etc., then you're looking in the wrong place. I mean, how can someone SHOP for the fleet they want to join?

You said that you would avoid a certain fleet's recruitment office. The point is, there isn't a fleet here that CARES. A civilian/potential recruit isn't going to dictate policy using THEMSELVES as the "threat".

That discipline speech was also RP.

I'm just asking that the fleets don't flame amongst themselves in this thread. The so-called 'threat' of not applying for those fleets that continue to flame was not an attempt to dictate policy. That was me saying that I didn't set up this topic to expand the 'flaming front'. I set up this topic to help me decide whether I'm going to apply for membership in a fleet or not by asking questions about specific issues that are not covered in FAQs or websites. I have seen flamefests take over threads before, so I'm trying to discourage them.

Theres no fleet flaming going on. What you see here is cheerful banter of the sort that all of us who have been part of this community for the last few years expect. You havent seen any outright derogitory remarks made by anyone with fleet association, more like the sort of tongue in cheek mud slinging that you would see in any arena. Orion and the Insurgency have a special relationship and we conduct our business in this manner. Thats why we are the two most popular fleets. We have history together, and if you have been paying attention to the boards these last few months (Years?) you'd understand that.

Think hard commander.

Menchise: it is the accepted practice to put items you are RPing in some sort of form, usually /rp /rp off or varients of that. thing placed outside of rp tags can be mistaken as your post was.

Menchise, if you're looking for disciplined fleets or the like, I'd suggest you wait till MP is out. It wont be until then that anyone here will know how our strucutures or policies or what not will work or not. The first week will be dedicated "Derek Hunting Season" anyway

For my part, I can tell you im structuring the Wraith to be adaptable to internet MP. We will have both dedicated hard core MP players on one end, and the casual player that can't log on every day to burn some neurons on the other. I'll stick the red blips in the targeting system in the middle of the candle and watch both ends burn towards them *wicked grin*

Oh, and dont fall for the Insurgent & Orion brag-o-rama recruitment bid that they got the only female commanders, its a scam I tell ya (j/k)

quote:

Theres no fleet flaming going on. What you see here is cheerful banter of the sort that all of us who have been part of this community for the last few years expect. You havent seen any outright derogitory remarks made by anyone with fleet association, more like the sort of tongue in cheek mud slinging that you would see in any arena. Orion and the Insurgency have a special relationship and we conduct our business in this manner. Thats why we are the two most popular fleets. We have history together, and if you have been paying attention to the boards these last few months (Years?) you'd understand that.

OK. As long as the banter remains cheerful I'm happy.

quote:

Menchise: it is the accepted practice to put items you are RPing in some sort of form, usually /rp /rp off or varients of that. thing placed outside of rp tags can be mistaken as your post was.

Thanks, Epsilon.

/rp Understood, Commander /rp

quote:

Oh, and dont fall for the Insurgent & Orion brag-o-rama recruitment bid that they

got the only female commanders, its a scam I tell ya (j/k)

They have female commanders?! Wow! I look forward to never meeting them in person. (another j/k).

By the way, Tac, I've been away from the forum for a long time. What happened to SDF?

Also, didn't Orion used to have a different fleet leader?

Yo, Menchise if u want to get around the politics u seem to be facing now think about all the things u can do if u were a merc or assasin. U don't have to be in a fleet if u want to do things your way. BCM is a dynamic persistant universe that always changing. What better way to experience it as an indie? It's better to do things your way not the fleet's way.

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

Guest Commander Hamblin

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

Also, didn't Orion used to have a different fleet leader?

Yep, some guy with a weird, and hard to pronounce name. He was kicked off, and we had an election. I'd have voted for me, but I didn't put my candidacy forward. I'd have put my candidacy forward, but I didn't think I'd get voted in. Plus, fleet leadership is too hard, and I can't design websites, and I'm a loose cannon, and blah blah blah blah blah, these are all the excuses I tell myself.

Also, Blades got the job.

Lol Hamblin.

"By the way, Tac, I've been away from the forum for a long time. What happened to SDF?"

To make it short, the SDF ignited a fleet-creating fever,DeSylva, Ristar and meself (and others i may have left out, forgive me =P )drafted and set up the fleet system, Derek allowed us to create the current player-official in-game fleets and then gave the insurgency the coolest looking assets ( ) and regulated the stuff.

"Also, didn't Orion used to have a different fleet leader"

Antti Junkari was banned from forum and game. Command was passed on to Blades.

quote:

Thanks, Epsilon.

This was Eclipse. I can't understand, I think it's the third time someone get confused and calls me Eclipse, or someone calls him Epsilon. And it's not Epsilon, it Epsilon 5!!

[rp]

"Ok, we're docking at Destiny today. I'm tired."

"What! The Insurgent station! Are you crazy! And Orion is one gate away!"

"No. They will surely get confused and think I'm their station commander."

[/rp]

Oh, about Antti, that is shameful. Glad I didn't knew him.

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

He thought Nazi-oriented discussions were funny.

Now I remember! Vaguely.

As I recall, he wrote some kind of objectionable post in a thread. When visitors to the thread started replying with their objections all hell broke loose. A flamefest erupted that quickly turned ugly and lasted for a couple of days. Eventually, Derek had to step in and throw Junkari out.

quote:

This was Eclipse. I can't understand, I think it's the third time someone get confused and calls me Eclipse, or someone calls him Epsilon. And it's not Epsilon, it Epsilon 5!!

Oops. Sorry about that.

quote:

[rp] "Ok, we're docking at Destiny today. I'm tired."

"What! The Insurgent station! Are you crazy! And Orion is one gate away!"

"No. They will surely get confused and think I'm their station commander." [/rp]

LOL! I can just imagine a Sound-Alikes division of the CIA.

/rp

EPSILON 5: Centris Control, this is Epsilon 5 requesting landing clearance.

BLADES: Red Alert! Red Alert! Incoming Insurgent! Lock all missiles on target!

EPSILON 5: Say what?

BLADES: Fire!

EPSILON 5: NO!

BLADES: Cease fire! Epsilon 5? Is that you?

EPSILON 5: Of course it's me! Sir!

BLADES: Then who is this guy standing next to me?

ECLIPSE: Wait a minute! What's Commander Savage doing on the bridge?! Intruder Alert! Security to the bridge!

ARAMIKE: Kyle, this is Mike in Launch Bay 1. When did we capture Deterrence Group?

ECLIPSE: We didn't.

ARAMIKE: Then what are their ships doing in the Launch Bay?!

EPSILON 5: Oh, no! Not again!

/rp off

ROTFLMAO!

[rp]

Ep5: Okay people... Just realised, what are we doing in the Tulon station?

Blades: Huh...

Eclipse: Huh...

Aramike: What are YOU doing in this region?

Ep5: Huh...

Blades: I've got an idea. We all get to our ships silently and return to our stations, Aramike and Eclipse to Orion, Epsilon 5 and me to Destiny. Alright?

Eclipse: Alright.

Ep5: Yes sir.

Aramike: huh...

[/rp]

/Rp

Lemmings might get confused, but we Insurgents teach our people the differance between the IFF tags ICV and GCV. Of course we will allow you to dock where you will receive a full debriefing courtesy of Intelligence. Enjoy your stay.

/rp off

Guest Commander Hamblin

*Gets on knees*

PLEEEEEEASE join Orion Fleet

*Tries to get up*

*Loud cracking sound is heard*

ARGH! My back!

*Collapses on the floor, writhing in agony*

Now Orion will need a new recruit to replace me, who was trying to recuit this guy in the first place!