Prefixes?

Hey, where cn I get info on Prefixes?

and could GMV be a valid prefix?

GMV=Gammulan Military vessel/vehicle?

SC, guess I might need you on this one...

[ 05-20-2001: Message edited by: Herro YuY ]

Yeah, I am curious as to why the UCV, GCV, and ICV are Terran-only... essentially, other races are left in the dark.

Well, something for SC to think about, no less!

Admiral is for our RP, The independent way. We are talking here about the gam equivalent of a fleet or strategic commander.

quote:

UCV = Vessel not affiliated with any fleet.

Correction: UCV = Vessel not affiliated with any terran fleet.

[ 05-21-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Correction: UCV = Vessel not affiliated with any terran fleet.

Nope, sorry stud, read the Fleet FAQ

Read before you speak, especially when you are correcting someone that quoted from it!!

Yes please tell us what we could say?

and if I recall correctly, we dont have that much info on Gam military/social structers so we pretty much had to make it up, and if this conflicts with anything, then what is your suggestion, it can't be commander becasue im at a higher rank then that(RP of course)....

*ponders*

[update: if I want to register in the Fleet data base, what fleet would I join since I desire to join the Gam Military..... and they dont have anything there about gam military and no caste seems to fit in whith it..ie. Explore, paramedic, Diplomat etc...]

[ 05-21-2001: Message edited by: Herro YuY ]

quote:

Originally posted by Herro YuY:

Yes please tell us what we could say?

and if I recall correctly, we dont have that much info on Gam military/social structers so we pretty much had to make it up, and if this conflicts with anything, then what is your suggestion, it can't be commander becasue im at a higher rank then that(RP of course)....

*ponders*

[update: if I want to register in the Fleet data base, what fleet would I join since I desire to join the Gam Military..... and they dont have anything there about gam military and no caste seems to fit in whith it..ie. Explore, paramedic, Diplomat etc...]

Just say "commander" for now.

For one thing, even if there WAS an admiral rank out there for the Gams, you haven't earned it.

Guest Shingen

Actually, if you read the RP thread, 'Admiral' started out as a generic term.

I needed a high-ranking Gam officer to use in the RP, and since there aren't really any offical Gammulan ranks, Admiral was just the first thing I thought of..

Herro said he wanted to RP the Gam officer, and that's is how this whole thing got started.

I guess we can go back and change Admiral to Commander, but it just doesn't have the same effect.

I didn't know he was going to use it as his sig though..

Ok..... I changed my sig, I ain't really an Admiral, you guys keep making a big fuss, so i'll still RP him but I just won't go any further then the Indie thread...

Just wish we had more info on the Gams tho....

Oh well

No. The "Admiral" in the RP may remain an admiral for RP posting purposes. At least until SC makes ranks for Gams.

The individual who posts must have the rank of commander.

RP is separate from the game. We (the players, I.E. the individuals) use game ranks on the board. All ranks are commander per Derek unless you are in a fleet position and that position is recognized.

....and so the fun begins.

Anyway, before BCM, the game only supported Terran/Military (GALCOM, that is) for the player. The Insurgent scenario in BC3K v2.08, was a hack...by yours truly.

So, BCM now supports playing in all race/caste, assets etc...of course, I haven't had time to sit down and sort out all the rankings for the all the alien nations.

...that will come once this game is out and on the shelves. I will have to think about it seriously because it, along with other doctrines in BCM, will be used in GCO. Gotta be consistent.

Until then, if you are not a Terran/Military or Terran/Insurgent, RP or not, the rank would remain Commander, the ship designation UCV

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

I mean a big thread where even aramike posted ideas. I can't find it...

If the thread you're after was idle for 30 days then UBB hides the thread. Try a search in each forum using aramike's user number and if it's out there, you'll find it.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

Oh, sorry, I thought it had disappeared:

The main points:

quote:

Aramike:

Here's what I propose (Derek, your opinion please?): Terran/Military and like castes MUST belong to a fleet because fleets exist for them. However, let's say someone is Gammulan/Military. Are they UCV? Hardly. So, new prefixes should be made for these. I imagine that, come GCO, there will be alien fleets anyway.

First, a note: any caste OTHER than Military and Insurgent should ALWAYS have the UCV prefix.

Now, here's my list of proposed prefixes:

Terran/Military: GCV

Terran/Insurgent: ICV

Terran/Earthcom: ECV

Empirion/Military: EWV or EMV (Empirian War Vessel or Empirian Military Vessel, respectively)

Vesperon/Military: VCV

Credian/Military: CCV

Kandorian/Military: KCV

Mandorian/Military: MCV

Zelon/Military: ZCV

Valkerie/Military: VWS or VMS (Valkerie War Ship or Valkerie Military Ship {VWV - too many "V"'s})

Falkerie/Military: FCV

Gammulan/Military: GWV

Syrion/Military: SCV

Droidian/Military: DCV

And

quote:

------------

GALCOM has never been a Terran only insitution.

-------------

No, but EarthCOM is. I would see the ships of these races to be either a part of the GALCOM military, or part of their OWN military. Perhaps GALCOM should become a caste. For instance, Terran/Military is by default GALCOM. Yet, the REAL Terran/Military is supposed to be Earthcom according to the story.

So, perhaps GALCOM should be with players using Terran/GALCOM, and Terran/Military should remain Earthcom.

Does that make sense?

Finally, from Tyrn

quote:

Yup.

So we would have something like:

Ter/Mil ECV

Ter/GAL GCV

Emp/Mil SCV (Empirian Starforce)

Emp/GAL GCV

And so forth as appropriate. Oddly enough, the concept of identifiers being unified or conforming to any set pattern across so many different races and "nations" is a bit unbelievable (not that I'm complaining).

I think the TER/GAL thing should be used.

quote:

I think the TER/GAL thing should be used.

I think so too, but I don't have time to change the code atm. Lets wait until the game is released, then we can all sit down (again), and hammer out these designations. Once its all hammered out, I'll just implement it in a patch.