Referencing Events Outside of Roleplaying Thread

quote:

Someone may not. That's what Karl was saying. That's where the gentle policing comes in.

Actually, Charles, I was saying that - not Karl. Read this thread again.

I IMMEDIATELY said that, if RP tags are used, there is no problem.

Had to clear that up.

apologies. My turn to clear something up.

quote:

Someone may not. That's what Karl was saying.

"Someone may not (use RP tags and then someone else may misconstrue that as fact)". "That's what Karl was saying." Meaning; back to the original problem of misconstrued fact. Leaps of logic. Correct but unclear. Sorry.

quote:

That's where the gentle policing comes in.

STFU = gentle policing? A stretch but ok.

quote:

I IMMEDIATELY said that,

True

quote:

if RP tags are used, there is no problem.

If, if, if,if. That's the original problem.

I basically agree with you; I just added a reminder that we should police ourselves.

Just about the same damme difference. We know the difference. We can catch unfair references.

quote:

STFU = gentle policing? A stretch but ok.

Uhm, Charles, I was being goofy. I would that that, in this community, it would be obvious that no one should use STFU for simple little things.

Now, as for this:

quote:

"Someone may not (use RP tags and then someone else may misconstrue that as fact)". "That's what Karl was saying." Meaning; back to the original problem of misconstrued fact. Leaps of logic. Correct but unclear. Sorry.

Again, I find it irritating when someone enters a thread and doesn't bother to read the whole thing.

Read these quotes, please:

quote:

There is every reason a recruiter can't make references to roleplaying events. Mainly because it is not official "roleplaying " histories.

quote:

My point is that we shouldn't bring what happens in the rping threads into the rest of the forums by making references to "events", "battles" and such, unless SC does so.

The first one was written after I said, "There is no reason that a "recruiter" can't use "unofficial" histories as a part of his fleet. I don't see why, nor how this affects recruitment. If a fleet is getting a guy that doesn't realize that RP is different than what has REALLY happened, you should feel sorry for that fleet - that guy ain't too bright."

Also, I've maintained from the get-go that, so long as things are in RP tags, they can be used. Outside of RP tags, they cannot be used.

So, for you to say this:

quote:

...makes no sense.

Why would we continue to discuss using RP events if RIGHT IN THE BEGINNING it was said that, so long as they are in RP tags, it is OK? If Karl was OK with using unofficial histories so long as they are in RP tags, why would he continue debating the subject after that was agreed upon?

Sorry.

quote:

Why would we continue to discuss using RP events if RIGHT IN THE BEGINNING it was said that, so long as they are in RP tags, it is OK? If Karl was OK with using unofficial histories so long as they are in RP tags, why would he continue debating the subject after that was agreed upon?

I didn't continue to debate that point after it was agreed on and I said that in my second or third post.

The reason I continue to post was that Blades and DeSylva waded in and we began to have an exchange, not so much about rping tags but about how deeply rping is entrenched with a number of fleets and because of that you can't dismiss the roleplay aspect.

Dismissing the roleplaying part of the fleets was never my intention, just wanted everything to be kept in perspective. Especially when bring specific events or battles out of the roleplaying thread into the rest of the forum.

All of this was solved, so no reason to keep going on about the finer points of the discussion, about who said what exactly, adds nothing to the original debate.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Karl Wolf ]

Gentlemen, this is the way it has always been and will be 'til changed:

Fleets exist.

Roleplay exists.

Multiplayer will exist.

Until MP exists, Fleets have nothing but RP to use as a recruiting tool.

When MP is in full swing, Fleets will soon turn stats as a recruiting tool. However, I suspect that no recruiting will be necessary as new and existing commanders will request membership in the fleet they deem is the best for their needs.

So, when someone uses a reference to RP, whether tagged or no, that's not a problem. It's all there is to reference.

When MP comes along, references to RP will become laughable as new and existing players will KNOW what fleets are worth joining (as far as MP is concerned).

At this point you will find newbies joining or requesting to join based on one of two things.

A. They like MP and will join based on MP and laugh at anyone that points to RP when their MP stats suck.

B. They like RP and will join based on RP recruiting. MP won't matter one bit. Their loyalties will go with their vision.

The rare fleet, though, will exist prominately in both circles. Good MP and a good amount of RP history to make both worth while. That's what Spectre will be very soon (I don't know this, it's just an example... like RP).

The moral of the story: RP history exists. It is well known to many in the community. It is the only way to differenciate between fleets right now. Don't get your delicates in a wad over it. MP will be here soon and you'll find RP existing solely in it's own little world as REAL facts replace FANTASY creations.

Don't get bent into a pretzel. If you don't RP, no problem. Just play your heart out in MP; soon all the new players will be beating down your door to join; and you will have the last laugh

Play nice kids...

quote:

So, when someone uses a reference to RP, whether tagged or no, that's not a problem. It's all there is to reference.

Don't exactly agree.

But don't feel like going through it again.

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: Karl Wolf ]