Lost and Confused

I'm going to get BCM as soon as I am around the nearest EB but first,

I was wondering if somebody could either post or e-mail me a more vernacular, laymans terms kind of explanation on exactly what the whole thing about servers and fleets

(Does the 16 people to a server mean that you join a fleet, get on the server and you only have the same 16 people forever or is this just a gateway into a full network like in Diablo 2 or Starcraft when you choose a realm/gateway for those of you who play blizzard games I read the whole fleet FAQ and got three times as lost!)

Part 2 I need an explanation of the fleets and casts

(If you join a fleet your c/o so to speak chooses your craft?)

(If you are in a cast you Can have whatever ship to command you want and can form a squadron)

( . . .I can't remember what my next question was . . . Ooo Look at that . . .)

For Multiplayer the SC is intending on creating 2 different types of servers... Public servers(eg 16 players). Everybody welcome. The other server will be his Secure Fleet Access Server. With a max of I believe 32 Players. These servers will be open Only to players who are Registered in Fleets.

For the Secure Fleet Access Servers Yes your fleet will have limited Assets, so it is up to your c/o to decide who gets what assett. On the Public servers I believe it is going to be just a Free flight, so you can choose whatever you want.

quote:

Probably. That depends on the deployment strategy of each fleet/wing/squadron. When you are in Prime fleet you can have about anything but super-carriers, Megarons and Nightstars, while in Orion you'll probably get a cruiser. It might be tighter sometimes, but you always have some choice, as I know. I can't really say more because either I don't know enough or it's classified material.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

When you are in Prime fleet you can have about anything but super-carriers, Megarons and Nightstars

Whos rule is that? We do assign those ships to Prime Fleet Cmdrs. that are in certain positions, and will continue to do so unless SC says other wise.

[Edit in] I take that back we don't assign the nightstar or Megarons but we do assign super carriers.

Public Access servers allow only 16 players per server. You actually play on the servers; it's SC's server, he wouldn't let you down. (He pays for the bandwith, remember?) I think I remember SC saying something about not allowing player-established servers, so only official ones will be used.

I'm not sure, but I think there may be more players per server on the Fleet Access servers.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Whos rule is that? We do assign those ships to Prime Fleet Cmdrs. that are in certain positions, and will continue to do so unless SC says other wise.

[Edit in] I take that back we don't assign the nightstar or Megarons but we do assign super carriers.

I was talking about regular commanders. Of course I know wing leader can have super-carriers if they want one. But the latest n00b with or without BC experience won't probably have a Firestorm even asked kindly and diplomatically.

Hey Blades since I'm a wing leader (sort of) can I have a Megaron?

quote:

(If you are in a cast
*caste
you Can have whatever ship to command you want and can form a squadron)

You mean if you are an indie? As an Indie you can have whatever ship you want, as long as it's available for the chosen caste.

As an indie, don't even think about having a carrier. Only mil, ear and ins can have carriers.

Forming a squadron? you can always do that, as long as you have someone to form a squadron with.

Or if you are ambitious enough you can try to create the first fleet of an unused race. But such thing would require a lot of time and dedication. ask LordDavid, Blades, Aramike or any fleet commander, they will all tell you the same thing : it's not an easy job.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

I was talking about regular commanders. Of course I know wing leader can have super-carriers if they want one. But the latest n00b with or without BC experience won't probably have a Firestorm even asked kindly and diplomatically.

Doh! (slaps cheek until some common sense returns) Sorry its been a hard day.

quote:

Hey Blades since I'm a wing leader (sort of) can I have a Megaron?

Heh, short answer, no. Long answer, no, but that may change depending on availability of Fleet Resources on the fleet servers. Im thinking (hopeing) that the larger capitol ships will be few and far betwen, but there will probably be an abundance of cruisers about. Ideally, BG Commanders will have the biggest ships available in the fleet, with the regular commanders being assigned the more abundant classes. Since the BG Commander is responsible for the entire groups deployment as well as overseeing the operation from TacOps rather than simply gettin in and slugging it out it makes sense that they command one of the more potent vessels.

Anyway, until we have an idea as to how many of each class of ship will be available in on the fleet servers, I'd hold up on that Megaron for the time being.

BTW, that Firestorm is mine. Nobody taking her out on a joy ride.