Gammulan military ship of choice

I'm pretty sure he means FCs, SCs, and OCs when he says support craft. It's a band width issue, really. BCM Gold will support up to 32 players on a server. Each of those 32 players could potentially have a carrier, and each of those carriers could potentially launch 4 fighters at once, for a total of 128 fighters, plus the 32 carriers, or 160 total ships. Each of those 32 clients need to know where each and every one of those ships is multiple times a second, which means a ton of bandwidth.

To my knowledge there's no model LOD on ridgid models in the current engine (I could be wrong, though), which brings up the second downfall. If a ship is an average of lets say 500 polys, that's potentially about 80k polys that might to be taken into account not including polys for planets, space stations, and other objects.

Also, none of these figures are taking into account things like missiles (160 ships could put a ton missiles in the air that need to be tracked and rendered), laser blasts, or other vehicles like shuttles.

It really gets out of control pretty quick when you start thinking about it.

At a risk of bringing down SC's wrath by stating my opinion (::ducks:: hehe ), maybe something like letting players who select the EFP career be able to select player controled carriers as their base would be a nice alternitive. Of course I wouldn't expect to see anything like that until BCO... if ever.

[ 09-22-2002, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Litvyak ]

quote:

Actually darling, BCG will support multi slot assets, which is basically what you are talking about.

Shush, you... don't get my hopes up LOL

Actually from what I've read so far on multi slot assets it might not be quite the same thing. Players hitching a ride on multislot assets will basically just be observers. To have players be able to select another players ship as a launch base is a bit different in concept and execution. Though it's entirely possible you are correct and it'll be part of the whole multi-slot assets and asset switching code.

Generally though, I don't like to assume anything that isn't specifically stated in official writing. It's usually better to keep expectations low and risk being surprised by awesome features you didn't think would be in a product, than to have high expectations and be disappointed when you find out something you were hoping for isn't in the game. After all the final deciding factor of what goes into any BC game isn't whether I think it would be cool, or how easy it would be to impliment, but whether it's something SC wants in the game (it is his game after all ).

[ 09-23-2002, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: Litvyak ]

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, maybe I should come back and revisit this thread, actually posting on topic this time

Anyhow my ship of choice? Stormcarrier? Firestorm? Warmonger? I think not. The craft I prefer to take into battle is the Zodiac! Fear me and my near instantanious hyperdrive

quote:

Originally posted by Litvyak:

Oh well, maybe I should come back and revisit this thread, actually posting on topic this time

Anyhow my ship of choice? Stormcarrier? Firestorm? Warmonger? I think not. The craft I prefer to take into battle is the Zodiac! Fear me and my near instantanious hyperdrive

lmao!

if i have to go with a fighter i'll go witht he Phantom!