Fleet Roll Calls

No need to waste time on a roll calls anymore I don't think. By next week (I will post a message once the coast is clear and all FLs have reported in) all interested fleet members can start signing up for their respective fleets. Using the fleet DB, FLs can come up with creative ways of handling roll calls.

• 1 year later...

A Fleet DataBase Roll Call mechanism has now been implemented. However, some members from multiple fleets have reported difficulties in answering the roll call. Therefore, I thought it best to centralize this discussion for all Fleets.

quote:

Originally posted
by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Ok men this is it I'm going to have to let some of you go for non-activity. This is nothing personal and I apologies to those that may feel that it is.

Remo,

I'm thinking that a fleet roll call should be probably be built into the fleet dB; but I can't think of any way that it can be done.

e.g. you can update the fleet dB bulletin (and the forum thread) announcing a roll call. Then each fleet member would log in to the dB, go to their profile and maybe check a box or something?

I dunno, am gonna go ask Mark (the web guy) what he thinks, since he has a good grip on stuff like this.

quote:

Originally posted
by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

It would be nice to use the DB in someway though thatÔÇÖs for sure. Maybe there could be a box to check in the user profile as you said and a submit button that would send the users player name to a dynamic page that can be viewed by all members. Then the page could be wiped at the end of the month to start a new roll call.

Then the FL's could go to the DB and issue a roll call through the comms system telling all their members to login to the DB and check in.

Don't know just a thought maybe it would be too much work for Mark to implement. I'll brain storm some more and let you know if I can think of anything easier.

Mark and I are tossing some ideas back and forth about this right now. Your suggestion about sending the responses to a dynamic HTML page is an excellent one and which I hadn't thought of. Thats a brilliant idea and I've just sent email to Mark about it.

The current plan is to have a check mark in the fleet dB entry for the person. When a roll call goes out, they check the box and log out. It then gets sent to the HTML page; when then gets cleared either automatically or manually when needed (e.g. every month).

This plan was implemented in just the last few days.

quote:

Originally posted
by Marvin over at
:

Notice to All

I just went to the fleet database to check our roster and noticed that a "roll call" has been initiated ... and, as of this post, the only two people who have answered are me and the SC.

Everyone needs to visit the database, click on their own name, and answer the call.

However, some members from Vanguard (Sandeu) and Prime (Mano Faber and DennyMala) have reported receiving "access denied" messages when attempting to answer a roll call in the Fleet DataBase.

I don't know the exact circumstances that generate this "access denied" message because I, as well as Marvin, have answered the roll call with no trouble. It may pertain to the assigned Fleets dB Security Levels. Under this premise, it would appear that Fleet Leaders and those above can answer the DB roll call, while users of lower security levels, perhaps 0 and 1, are prohibited from such action.

I get the same error as Ben.

On a related question, how are we supposed to know when this roll call goes into effect? Is the roll call emailed to us, or is it on some kind of schedule yet to be published? I'm trying to figure out how I'd know I was supposed to check the fleet db to answer this if it wasn't published in the forum as past roll calls have been.

Guest Remo Williams

Thanks guys for the info!

Zane the reason you don't know the answer to that is because It hasn't been posted yet since this is basicly a test run to see how its working. When its time to have an official roll call you'll know.

I'm going to let your FL and the other FL's know the best way to go about this in the future.

As soon as they know I'm sure Ben will pass down the info to his fleet members.

Remo Out!