CIOPS Tasking & Recruiting

Gentlemen of the fleets and interested players:

CIOPS, GALCOM's premier intelligence service, has the following taskings that require staffing.

1. Compiling of a FAQ that will be used to answer common newb questions, and collect some of the most common strategies of UC gameplay.

2. Compiling data for online and offline versions of the appendix that can be searched and accessed in a hopefully superior form to the current appendix.

Currently CIOPS has two members (including myself), and I want to see that grow. In addition to the listed taskings, which pertain to CIOPS non-classified objectives, there are additional classified taskings available for GALCOM members temporarily attached to CIOPS, or recruited CIOPS agents who are in for the duration.

The shadow wars are preparing, join up now while the lines are still clear--tomorrow you may not know your friends from your enemies.

ZM out.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

1. Compiling of a FAQ that will be used to answer common newb questions, and collect some of the most common strategies of UC gameplay.

Zane,

If you want to coordinate a way of sending your troops thru the Academy, we can get most of this information to them.

That's good for actual training when I have recruits, but as yet I have none. Since we're talking recruiting and I know you boys at Prime have them coming out your ears, have you thought about perhaps having your academy feed the other fleets in the interests of spreading our staffing out (if the cadets are so inclined)? You guys are doing the best job of training and procedures I've seen, and even if you didn't feed us any recruits, I'm sure I'd like to steal/adapt some of your documents for use in a FAQ and/or even an ISS version of the dash-1 manual you guys used.

Let me know what you think.

ZM out.

p.s., you can see an example of what I'm thinking of for the FAQ here.

[ 07-29-2004, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Zane Marlowe ]

Zane,

Your link sent me to a page that doesn't go anywhere but I get the idea. The Prime Fleet Academy page has a window with this in it. Does that do you guys any good? All the links on that page are current ... you could just change the colors to reflect your own web style.

As for farming out our cadets ... right now, we send the tardy ones to Kal's Boot Camp. If you like, I could divert them to your fleet, instead.

Doesn't go anywhere? That's wierd, I just checked it. Did it get you to the ISS Fleet HQ site? If it did, you should see a link called "Command Craft Operations" which would be one of perhaps several categories of FAQ answers. If you can't see the link or the site for some reason, please let me know. If you do, then have a look at the questions under the CC Ops, and you'll see kind of what I was shooting for.

Thanks for giving us access to some of your academy materials. Part of what I'm doing right now with CIOPS is just getting information organized for GALCOM and ISS people, and that is a task that requires interested help, so if you have people in your fleet who are interested in doing intel work, then if you're interested in retasking them our door is open. If you have guys who aren't interested in participating, then I'm afraid I can't use them any more than you can.

Thanks again for the feedback,

ZM

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

If you have guys who aren't interested in participating, then I'm afraid I can't use them any more than you can.

Shucks.

Anyway, I followed your instructions and realized the FAQ page was already being displayed. My mistake.

Glad to hear you found it. So I want to create a FAQ that locates those gazillion or so little things we all learned by executing searches through the forums here. The idea is to help newbs and trainees over the initial hump when it comes to game operations, and I figure that a FAQ like the one you've seen would be one of the easiest ways to do this.

Also, I imagine we could create material there for training purposes, and I'm thinking of using (with your permission) Prime's training missions to create a self-paced Command Training curriculum based on a pass/fail model for any commanders who wanted to use it and gain some kind of "official" certification.

Let me know what you think.

Guest Remo Williams

We should maybe discuss putting all this info into one curriculum and opening a GalCom Academy ran by all the fleets. Build it in a similar structure as Prime's Academy.

Where each fleet provides instructors to help introduce new players to the game and its many features through a standard curriculum the Academy would be over seen by an appointed Academy Commandant from one of the fleets on a rotation bases. Who is answerable to all the Fleet Commanders and GalCom as to academy operations?

Comments?

As far as I'm concerned, you can use the new Cadet syllabus, available at the Academy section of the Prime Fleet website. Unfortunately, the appendix is missing from the downloadable version -- partly because it contains data specifically written for instructors. The instructor part of the appendix can be emailed to authorized personnel ... coordinate with Remo and, if he approves, he can let me know where to send copies.

I suggest you read over the syllabus first, though ... it might not meet your needs -- all training takes place in the multiplayer environment.

One note about your FAQ: for those of us who take the time to actually read, it'll be a good thing to have. But, even with a search engine of its own, be prepared for a lot of new guys to just say, "The heck with it" and, instead, ask the usual, "How do I ...."

Two comments:

Firstly, regarding Remo's suggestion. I have for a while thought this would be the best option because right now we have a four fleets and we're kind of locked in a vicious cycle because people who join Prime because its academy will train them are going to stay in Prime, and as long as the other four fleets aren't getting that kind of recruiting, then there's no way for them to establish their own academies--so yes, I'm fully in favor of the idea you suggest Remo.

Marvin, I realize that people are going to continue to ask, but I think that part of the reason people ask here as much as they do is because they have to conduct an entire search process to find the answers they want to what are essentially simple questions. What the FAQ (as you've seen it earlier) would do would essentially help people to get to that same information faster, and hopefully this will be a more efficient and user-friendly way of getting that information. Yes, they may ask after that, but I think fewer will ask, which is why I'm doing it.

We may even think of putting all the new recruits of all the GalCOm fleets in the GalCom Academy and train them on the basics of UC. Then when they graduate they may choose what fleet they wanna join and any other specific request.

This to let new cadets choose their destiny after having seen what kind of duties they will accoplish in the choosen fleet.

Guest Remo Williams

I see it as the GalCom Academy for the GalCom Fleets and maybe Earth COM. The insurgents can create their own if they think itÔÇÖs in their best interest same goes for the Gammy bears (Gammulan).

I'm sure once we finish working out all the MP issues and get moving towards a yearly tournament the other Non-GalCom Fleets will fair better in the recruiting department.

If we get a go ahead with this from Orion we can start working out the details and assign a Commandant to run the academy from one of the fleets. I think that the Commandant position should be rotated from fleet to fleet every 6 months or maybe shorter.

Also each fleet needs to assign at least 1 instructor I think.

We can work on this more as soon as we hear something from Orion on this issue.

• 2 weeks later...