Fleet Meets, Tournaments, Championships

Guest Remo Williams

Guest Remo Williams

The TS server is up and running for early arrivals.

I'll be taking the results from todays match and the last meet and updating the DB and stats page today.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shingen

I sent the logs to Remo...we'll see what happens.

Should we score the kills? All the kills happened after the objective was completed. I'm not against scoring the kills, nor am I for scoring them either, because of all the server PvP combat issues.

What do you all think?

Good game guys, nonetheless! Long live BC!

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

/me passes out

Well the session was FAR from perfect. Mostly playable for the ROEs, but frustrating when combat is involved.

What we all really need is for you to join a Fleet match as a player. Equal and average to everyone else. TS capable and game ready.

...plus I've been a BC fan through 7+ years, 3+ years of 3000AD banishment, usenet crap and all, and then acknowledgement as Fleet Leader for the indie class of Raiders. If I ain't a die-hard BC fan, who the hell is??

Still, the MP problems remain, and that's just the way it is.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

I sent the logs to Remo...we'll see what happens.

Should we score the kills? All the kills happened after the objective was completed. I'm not against scoring the kills,
nor am I for scoring them either
, because of all the server PvP combat issues.

What do you all think?

Good game guys, nonetheless! Long live BC!

Thanks Shingen logs recieved. I'm almost done with my personal business here then I'm going to get the scoring done before I start on the many many other projects that need to get done to make this enjoyable for all.

Hey SC that sounds cool if you get a chance next weekend when we hold the next meet drop by and say a few words to the troops in real time. Some of our accents are sure to put a smile on your face boss.

Yeah.... that would be cool, having our Supreme Commander lead his troops in action.....

And so you can see it for yourself and maybe have some fun....

OK, I will try to be at the next session. Since I don't have time to read all posts on the forum, Remo, send me details please. I won't be playing with you guys, just observing what you guys are doing.

Also, I will probably unveil the new and upcoming mp lobby at that session so regular fleet members can try it out. I'll make it available only to FLs, who can then distribute the link to the client download to their regular members.

Guest Remo Williams

I've just finished scoring the matches. I'm revising the stats board now to include the remaining Insurgent fleets to balance out the scoring system. More on this to come in the next few days. I will then update the stats board and the DB.

quote:

Since I don't have time to read all posts on the forum, Remo, send me details please.

Sure thing, I'll PM you the info ASAP.

quote:

As for regular members who haven't bothered to show up for official fleet matches but want to get on board now, personally I'm very tempted to penalize them (and encourage other FLs to do so also).

Sounds fair to me if they haven't participated in the last two meets then they won't get the url from me this coming meet. All though who ever shows up will get to participate in a match. They'll just have to wait an additional week to get a look at the new MP lobby for not being active lately.

BTW thanks SC!

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Sounds fair to me if they haven't participated in the last two meets then they won't get the url from me this coming meet. All though who ever shows up will get to participate in a match. They'll just have to wait an additional week to get a look at the new MP lobby for not being active lately.

BTW thanks SC!

Thats fine; but it should only be made available to those who have been at the last two meets. Others will and should never have access to it until it is officially released sometime next year. If I check the logs and see that someone is using it and they are not supposed to, I will fire the FL, invalidate the lobby and ban the FL from the site. NO EXCEPTIONS.

As to the spinning DREADA, I think I know what you're talking about. Its not lag, its something else; but I'd have to see it in action (at the meet) in order to make a final deduction and see how best to address it.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

Perhaps over the last couple months we have somehow failed to accurately communicate to you the PvP combat issue that we're experiencing and what we have begun calling "the spinning effect" OR perhaps you've already understood the problem and explained that there's nothing more that can be done with the tech or already done all you can for this MP aspect of UC (which I suspect is the case). Many of us understand that you have bigger fish to fry right now, but we've asked you to attend because if we have failed to explain the problem properly and it's a simple fix...then everyone, bar Shingen, will be happy! I'm j/k Shin.

Everone pretty much elected me as the proxy hardass. Plus, if I didn't care about the game, I prolly wouldn't bother to say much of anything. But, as it is said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

quote:

As for regular members who haven't bothered to show up for official fleet matches but want to get on board now, personally I'm very tempted to penalize them (and encourage other FLs to do so also). The numbers turning up for fleet matches has been needlessly small (6-8 at best)... all it would have taken was an extra 2/3 members from each fleet being available for 45mins online fortnightly. But anyway thats my personal whinge!

I'm sorta at a conflict here. On the one hand, we all know why people aren't showing at the matches, on the other, why join a fleet if you aren't going to play as a fleet!

Therein lies my conflict. I can see the value of TDH as a fleet (and all the fleets in general), but without bodies willing to play, the fleets are basically useless, since we have to use substitute players to even the sides. In fact, I prolly need to let Derek find another leader for TDH and go join Chavik as an Insurgent, since that's what I usually play as anyway.

I think that this game has real potential in MP, we just have to ALL be willing to go together to make PvP combat less frustrating and more fun (since PvP combat is basically the nuts and bolts of the whole MP game). At this point, I really don't care about planetary ops in MP, or cargo pods (though it would be nice), or even NPCs. I just want to be able to hit what I'm aiming at.

When things are fixed (as I know they will eventually be), you'll see more people at the matches willing to play.

Guest Shingen

quote:

I partly disagree. That may be the reason why the "masses" who just arrived virtually yesterday aren't showing up, but I don't understand why those who've been here a while don't. I think they could be more committed, coz its by having more folks involved that we iron out the issues faster whether its PvP combat, ROEs, fleet defiencies, statsboards or whatever. Of course I understand some folks have strict priorities in RL (we're all constantly maintaining a juggling act), but if you run the numbers I still think more of the experienced folks should be able to make it for more matches.

All I'm saying is we should be definitely doing better than the same 6-8 every match!

I agree wholeheartly. The question is, what do we do about it?

To me, a few hours, twice a month should be doable for even the most busy RL players. I also don't think that the entire problem can be blamed on MP. There are ALOT of things that could be accomplished in the game, as it is, if enough people showed up to play.

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

In fact, I prolly need to let Derek find another leader for TDH and go join Chavik as an Insurgent, since that's what I usually play as anyway.

No, I don't need to find another leader, if you can't find people who are willing to commit, then the fleet will be scrapped.

As for you going to the Insurgents, apart from the fact that fleet transfers - without my authorization - are not allowed, it is highly unlikely that Chavik would accept you (or any raider) in his ranks.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

No, I don't need to find another leader, if you can't find people who are willing to commit, then the fleet will be scrapped.

I've done the very best I could, under the circumstances, and TDH isn't he only fleet that can't find members to commit.

I guess we need to define exactly what a fleet is and exactly what a fleet is for. If a fleet isn't for grouping people for MP play, then what? RP stories? Singleplayer AAR? Fleet webpages? Sigs?

I'm at a loss, and I need a little confirmation.

quote:

As for you going to the Insurgents, apart from the fact that fleet transfers - without my authorization - are not allowed, it is highly unlikely that Chavik would accept you (or any raider) in his ranks.

That's entirely up to you, you own the fleets and are in ultimate control, after all.

Still, in the Fleet matches, I join Chavik (as Insurgent) and Chavik joins me (as TDH, plus any GalCom players to even up the sides ). There really isn't any Fleet bias right now in the matches because of the limited number of players, but basically, it's been GalCom against Insurgent.

But, I will accept responsibility for what I'm responsible for. Perhaps the fleet should be scrapped.

OK, this'll be good. So is that url for those who were at both of the last two matches, or those who were at one of the last two matches? I don't want to get booted for a silly little misunderstanding like that, now.

Guest Shingen

Dreada has convinced me to stand by TDH for the forseeable future. I would rather be apart of an active MP fleet, but I guess everyone wants the Raiders, so it's a Raider I shall be.

The one problem I see (as a GalCom commander who would've played Insurgent for the second time had Norton 2005 allowed it): playing as a substitute hampers tactical ops.

Who wants to brief tactics for a mission when the guy(s) you're briefing will probably be playing for the other team in a couple weeks?

Marvin's making a fair point, on the other hand, one thing that concerns me is that we're considering this rule when there's also a proposition on the table to step up the schedule to weekly matches, and if both were to go through, then I'm not sure I could keep up a weekly schedule doing this through the holidays (at least if I want to stay married in RL ).

With respect, I keep wondering if Remo's proposed solution is not going to make it more difficult since we're trying to get people into a game, but the penalty for their non-involvement is one that makes it harder for them to get involved. Something Ben Z. put together might work better, namely that prestige and ranking within the fleet is dependent on MP performance. Our security clearances to the higher levels of ISS are dependent on having attained some kills in MP and we currently have a standing incentive for any ISS commander who gets 4 kills that they will get promoted to Wing Leader of Defense Wing.

Ultimately we have to interest people in what they can add to their membership because there's nothing we can materially take away but the thing we want our MP teams to have in order to get involved--access and information.

My $.02

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

The one problem I see (as a GalCom commander who would've played Insurgent for the second time had Norton 2005 allowed it): playing as a substitute hampers tactical ops.

Who wants to brief tactics for a mission when the guy(s) you're briefing will probably be playing for the other team in a couple weeks?

...and thats why fleet transfers are not allowed unless it is within the same alliance or wing e.g. going from EarthCom to GALCOM - even then, authorization is still required.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

Something Ben Z. put together might work better, namely that prestige and ranking within the fleet is dependent on MP performance ... we currently have a standing incentive for any ISS commander who gets 4 kills that they will get promoted to Wing Leader of Defense Wing.

I like that idea. Except, of course, I doubt someone would get promoted while playing for the enemy. Which, if I read the SC correctly, is no longer an option ... guess Chavik will be forced to battle GalCom all by himself ... either one fleet at a time or all at once. Shin, likewise.

Maybe all GalCom commanders can get together, though, and agree to accept intra-fleet kills for promotion. It would mean some big-time realignments at Prime. Unless, of course, Remo sets aside a few high-ranking positions for our role-playing members.

I could see someone getting promoted for playing with a friendly alliance. ISS players might have kills counted if they were playing with Prime, but not with the Insurgents. Since Insurgent and TDH players are neutral with respect to one another, I could see awarding kills for players who were aligned in an ad hoc team that way.

I imagine that it has some impact on the prestige of the fleet to see that its members are scoring well, and if they score under another banner for the sake of having a good game in a meet, I see that as sportsmanship, not treason, and the result promotes their fleet by showing off the prowess of one of its commanders.

Now that doesn't mean I think fleet alignments are meaningless, far from it, but those alignments might be reinforced if you wouldn't get fleet points if you couldn't claim a majority of personnel from your own fleet (like the recent Dreada/Chavik/Shingen team in last week's match) on an MP team at a match.

quote:

As I said before, I say players should play for the enemy's fleet if necessary just to keep the matches going
BUT
still have their kills counted towards their prestige. Why? Because, at the end of the day those players are obviously becoming highly skilled cmdrs, able to lead and advise, not to mention they're mp-committed. So they should get fleet promotions based on their in-field ability even though it was gained whilst aiding the enemy! This wouldn't be a permanent plan, just one used until fleets matches are more populated.

Yeah, actually if you read the second paragraph of my last post, it kind of contradicts the first, but I didn't notice it until just now. The idea about playing on the other side to fill out the roster being sportsmanship rather than treason would apply (i.e., you would score individual points as a commander), but what do you think about not having fleet scores go up unless you can claim at least two (a majority) commanders on your team? That doesn't seem like it should be so hard since we nominally have 2 FL's for every fleet anyways, and if the difference for someone like Dreada is just one person, I have to believe that he can make a friend and bring him in .