Fleet Meets, Tournaments, Championships

Guest Remo Williams

Guest Remo Williams

First off IÔÇÖll try to explain the way I see the future of fleet MP play. Then we can discuss it and hear other ideas on this topic. Once we have and idea of which way we should go with the fleets and MP play it will be put to a poll. The polling data will be used by the FLÔÇÖs to decide which direction to take.

My idea is as so; the fleets will play out a season each year that last from Jan. 1 thru Oct. 1 during this time the fleets and players will build up stats. In November at the end of the regular season of play the top 12 players from among all the fleets will meet for a tournament that will reveal the two best players.

Then in December a championship will be held between the two-tournament winners. The victor along with his fleet will be added to a Battlecruiser Hall of fame for that year.

As I said this is just a rough idea of how it could be done without many details. Now lets see how other picture the fleets and MP for the future?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Remo Williams

Leaping lizards Batman no one has an opinion on this? Ok then lets try a poll and see if we can't kick this topic into gear with a few anonymous answers.

Well, I have a question that's been bugging me a little and I want to hear your opinion.

How would you suggest we deal with the fact that this is going to essentially be Prime vs. Balor/Bishamon for the foreseeable future? I can't see how you're going to create a genuine tournament if the fleets without large numbers (i.e., the other GALCOM fleets and the TDH, arguably even Balor and Bishamon since they're operating as a single Insurgent fleet currently) are not going to be able to get their membership to the point where they can play in tournaments unless something changes with regards to recruiting.

Guest Remo Williams

The TDH has a team for now along with Wraith as far as I know but you can take that up with them.

By time this gets all worked out and recruitment opens up again it will probably get larger than you think. I've been denying a couple apps a day for several of the fleets in the database. Until SC opens up the fleets again anyway.

Well Wraith Fleet last time had to borrow people from other fleets just to fill spots. We currently have 6 members in our ranks including my self. Most of these members are either unable to attend because of real life matters or because of the major time differences. So far only Dreada and I have been available to attend any event that has been laid out and I can't promise that I will be able to attend every tournament. This even goes for the practices that you guys setup. All this probably applies to a lot of others as well. Those fleets currently under 10 members are actually in sorry shape because there is never going to be any one standing by to fill in spots if someone can't make it.

So to clear up some confusion, at least in my opinion, wraith does not have a viable team to take into a tournament.

So in the events of holding tournaments would be unacceptable for all fleets unless those fleets can have a team that can be trained and ready to play at these tournaments. This team would have to be all the same fleet. One of the biggest problems in our last match was that we had at least two fleet mixed to make one team. None of us on that team has ever played together in any practices or skirmishs causing some real confusion at the start when it came to assign people in different positions. Then on top of that there really was no plan at the start. It was all last minute and rushed since most of the start time was taken up by trying to organize our selves.

So that is my long winded opinion and feel free to shoot holes in it if you would like.

I agree with Dreada that unless and until the fleets even out their membership a little, it's going to be alliance tournaments rather than fleet tournaments.

That said however, there's no reason why an alliance tournament wouldn't be just as good. It would also mean that the fleets would have to coordinate with one another more and you'd have more of a committee atmosphere when coordinating MP games (as these fleet MP discussion threads have thus far demonstrated).

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

1) If the size of each fleet is going to remain the same and we are keeping scores for fleets, then perhaps it would be more appropriate to have a scoring system for EACH fleet so that smaller fleets are allocated more points per kill compared to larger fleets, thus balancing the system... whaddya thinks??

We aren't really keeping stats for fleets just the players. The only stats being record for the fleets are wins, losses, and matches played. All the other stats are being recorded on the player level, and are as follows.

[*]Player Ranking

[*]Ranking Score

[*]EP

[*]Combat Kills

[*]Deaths

[*]Last Known MP Location

quote:

I think for the foreseeable future there will be many scenarios played with multi-fleet sides (of the same alliance). So in reality there will be the following combinations:

GALCOM Vs INSURGENTS

GALCOM Vs RAIDERS(TDH)

RAIDERS(TDH) Vs INSURGENTS

With each using members from various allied fleets.

I disagree each fleet has the minimum amount of players needed to form their own teams. Each fleet should play there own teams, but can from time to time use a substitute if a player is late or doesnÔÇÖt show for a match. The substitute though for all intents and purposes becomes part of that fleet for the match and is not representing the fleet that he actually belongs to.

I'm against anything that infringes on Primes independence within GalCom.

The only way I'll go for this Alliance matches idea-using members from all fleets is if we disband all GalCom fleets and lump them all into one fleet known as GalCom under one operational leader. Besides that I'm not buying into it get a team together for MP using your fleet members would be my suggestion.

quote:

This would inevitably lead to a more Alliance-orientated competition rather than Fleet-orientated.

Our main competition is between the players the fleets as I said only score a win or a loss. Tha is why when the regular season of play expires we have a players tournament not a fleet tournament. Then the 2 winners from the tournament go on to be crowned in a Championship. The only thing the fleets have to do with it after the regular season is the right to brag about which players in the tournament or championship belong to them.

It wouldn't be surprising to me to see two players from the same fleet squaring off in a championship.

quote:

I agree with Dreada that unless and until the fleets even out their membership a little, it's going to be alliance tournaments rather than fleet tournaments.

I disagree itÔÇÖs going to be a players tournament and its going to be fleet matches not alliance matches.

quote:

It would also mean that the fleets would have to coordinate with one another more and you'd have more of a committee atmosphere when coordinating MP games (as these fleet MP discussion threads have thus far demonstrated).

I like to see coordination between the fleet leaders to make sure meets go smooth, but as far as these topic's being like a committee thatÔÇÖs funny. More like a sample group would be exact. The fleet leaders need to see what is thought in the ranks before decisions are made and here is our sounding board. Even some of the FL's don't want to go in the same direction so some decision go the way of the majority of the FL's and are not unanimous.

Guest Remo Williams

YouÔÇÖre correct Chavik The fleet score element is the primary way to score during a match. This encourages teamwork during the match. You can however score individually to boost your points.

The ROE determines the points for the objective that are awarded to all the players on a team when the objective is completed. This will provide the majority of player points during a match so completing that objective is a good thing for you and your team mates.

I must somehow be ovesimplifying this, but I guess I'm just not understanding how I'm supposed to get our ISS team together when we can't recruit new members and we don't have enough people committed to playing this within our ranks right now.

How is ISS going to participate Remo?

If you can answer that, then I'll understand how Wraith, Orion, the TDH, and Bishamon (or was it Balor, only one of the Insurgent fleets had enough players for a full match last time I played) are going to solve that matter as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think that your fleet tournament idea is good and I applaud the work you've put into testing and creating the scoring system, but I just don't see how we're going to do this with unmixed fleets. Do you know how really lucky you guys in Prime are to have such consistent membership and a large pool of recruits? I can't speak for the rest of us, but for my little area (CIOPS) I can only say that I'm building up one player at a time and it's slow going (especially while recruiting is frozen).

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

I must somehow be ovesimplifying this, but I guess I'm just not understanding how I'm supposed to get our ISS team together when we can't recruit new members and we don't have enough people committed to playing this within our ranks right now.

If you have members that aren't participating in the community and aren't participating or don't intend to participate in the near future in MP remove them from your fleet and the database. Why waste your time with players that are holding you back from functioning as a fleet in MP? Then will take it from there about MP.

quote:

How is ISS going to participate Remo?

Substitutes until your fleet membership changes for the better and you weed out the talkers from the players.

As a matter of fact I'm using these Alliance wide polls for more answers than what the question ask. For instances there are 92 fleet members registered in the Database but yet there has only been 17 people respond to the polls at most. WhatÔÇÖs that tell you? Yeah we have a lot of dead wood lying around our fleet HQ's to weed through here in the near future.

Then we need a strict application process or small fee in place for fleet membership to insure that people join to play. If we elected to charge a fee it could be put into one pot and given to the winner of the championship as a prize.

ThatÔÇÖs one idea anyway for getting hardcore gamers into your fleets. The other is to mimic Primes activities give your members something to do as a group anything from a chat session to MP practice. This will help build membership when itÔÇÖs opened up again.

Well the biggest problem I see right now is that you are saying that is a person can't make it to a match or practice then they are included as "dead wood", but is that putting down those who can't make it because maybe the time is wrong for them or even the day. So just because someone lives in a certain area of the world that makes it way to difficult to come on and play a match on sundays at around 5 PM eastern time each week would make them someone who has to leave the fleet. Even though I am not one of them you are really going to be excluding people just because of their unfortunate luck. So in the idea of screening those fleet members that don't seem to be participating you should really be careful about removing those who are still or still want to be an active part in the fleet and make sure that you try to contact them and find out what their true situation is. If it is only because the time is just not right for them ever then how can you just exclude them for that?

quote:

As a matter of fact I'm using these Alliance wide polls for more answers than what the question ask. For instances there are 92 fleet members registered in the Database but yet there has only been 17 people respond to the polls at most. WhatÔÇÖs that tell you?

Actually, it was unclear who could vote in this poll.

Initally, I thought is was for fleet leaders only.

Even though,after rereading the post, it did not say so.I just had that impression.

So, after seeing other fleet members voting,I decided to give it a try.And it worked (apparently).

So,maybe for a better response you could do it as as a separate topic.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Reed:

Well the biggest problem I see right now is that you are saying that is a person can't make it to a match or practice then they are included as "dead wood", but is that putting down those who can't make it because maybe the time is wrong for them or even the day. So just because someone lives in a certain area of the world that makes it way to difficult to come on and play a match on sundays at around 5 PM eastern time each week would make them someone who has to leave the fleet. Even though I am not one of them you are really going to be excluding people just because of their unfortunate luck. So in the idea of screening those fleet members that don't seem to be participating you should really be careful about removing those who are still or still want to be an active part in the fleet and make sure that you try to contact them and find out what their true situation is. If it is only because the time is just not right for them ever then how can you just exclude them for that?

Reed as usual you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Please stay out of these discussions until you can comprehend what you read.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

As a matter of fact I'm using these Alliance wide polls for more answers than what the question ask. For instances there are 92 fleet members registered in the Database but yet there has only been 17 people respond to the polls at most. WhatÔÇÖs that tell you?

Actually, it was unclear who could vote in this poll.

Initally, I thought is was for fleet leaders only.

Even though,after rereading the post, it did not say so.I just had that impression.

So, after seeing other fleet members voting,I decided to give it a try.And it worked (apparently).

So,maybe for a better response you could do it as as a separate topic.

The FL's discuss most issues via PM or TS not in the open forum. The forum is used to communicate with the fleet members, but I see what your saying. If it doesn't involve the whole fleet community it will say so in the post.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

If you have members that aren't participating in the community and aren't participating or don't intend to participate in the near future in MP remove them from your fleet and the database. Why waste your time with players that are holding you back from functioning as a fleet in MP? Then will take it from there about MP.

That's already been resolved, even though the fleet db isn't reflecting it yet. But this is off-point. ISS doesn't have sufficient members to operate an MP team for a variety of reasons (location, internet availability, RL commitments, etc.) and to this point no one's suggested that fleet membership hinges on MP availability. Are you suggesting this?

Let's be plain, ISS isn't in a situation where we need maybe a substitute periodically, it's a situation where we need actual players, don't have them, and can't recruit more.

When this opens up again, ISS may be able to put a team in the field, but until then we're stuck doing alliance matches or some variation on what Dreada's talking about as far as official fleet matches go.

(as far as unofficial fleet matches go... )

Guest Shingen

quote:

Each fleet should play there own teams, but can from time to time use a substitute if a player is late or doesnÔÇÖt show for a match. The substitute though for all intents and purposes becomes part of that fleet for the match and is not representing the fleet that he actually belongs to.

Wrong. That certain fleet may get points for completing the ROE, but no one is gonna substitute for any other fleet if they don't get props for their own!

If a player substitutes for another fleet (that they aren't apart of), in MP, then that player's fleet should get acknowledgement, 'cause they had a player, online, that was there to play!

I know I've been deleted in past for my opinion of the current state of MP, but until MP combat is resolved, this whole issue is a moot point.

Guest Remo Williams

Dreada are you available today for a TS session? If so send me a PM it would be easier to explain why I'm against alliance matches and what I'm proposing. As a matter of fact if any other FL's are available I would like to meet with them too via teamspeak.

Zane where is Jamont? I would like to hear from him that the ISS fleet is not operational for MP.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

If a player substitutes for another fleet (that they aren't apart of), in MP, then that player's fleet should get acknowledgement, 'cause they had a player, online, that was there to play!

Its of no benefit to the players true fleet so it means nothing. If all players aren't from the same fleet then theres no why for their team to score a win for their fleet. Sure they could split the objective points between if each other if they complete it as usual, but they could not get a win recorded for their fleet the way things are setup now. Plus I'm not keeping alliance wins and losses just fleets.

quote:

I know I've been deleted in past for my opinion of the current state of MP, but until MP combat is resolved, this whole issue is a moot point.

Yes Shin I deleted the posts they weren't constructive to the topic's and or 3000AD's goals IMO. There are proper channels to use for this stuff you should know this as a mod! Lets continue this discuss via PM please.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Its of no benefit to the players true fleet so it means nothing. If all players aren't from the same fleet then theres no why for their team to score a win for their fleet. Sure they could split the objective points between if each other if they complete it as usual, but they could not get a win recorded for their fleet the way things are setup now. Plus I'm not keeping alliance wins and losses just fleets.

Sorry, but I said that the substitute player's fleet should get acknowledgement, not points! Reread my post.

quote:

Yes Shin I deleted the posts they weren't constructive to the topic's and or 3000AD's goals IMO. There are proper channels to use for this stuff you should know this as a mod! Lets continue this discuss via PM please. [/QB]

I stand corrected.

quote:

Zane where is Jamont? I would like to hear from him that the ISS fleet is not operational for MP.

Give him a ring, I'm trying to be an analyst here, not a policy maker. Also, if you want to look over the roster of ISS members who've been posting lately and check out the threads in our topic area to see how people's availability for MP has been, then you can draw your own conclusions, that's been my data.

You know as well as anyone (and perhaps better than most) how I've been canvassing players trying to get people into MP. If you see the situation differently I'm all ears.