Specialized Fleet ROE Discussion.

Guest Remo Williams

Operation Eye in the Sky v2.1 (final)

Roleplay Notes

A major fleet engagement is imminent, and both sides have good intel provided by their AWACS crafts. Should one side lose their eye in the sky, it could be decisive

Version 2: After a major solar storm which blanked out all radar and communication systems, it appears that both fleets AWACS craft have drifted well out of position and are vulnerable to enemy attack

Players required: 3 on each team

Both teams are comprised of the same craft:

1 AWACS craft (armed transport)

1 Carrier

1 Cruiser

Rules of Engagement

* 1. No going planetside by any member of either team.

* 2. No docking with any stations once the match has started. All craft must remain in space.

* 3. Except for the AWACS craft, which are allowed to use their PTA, no use of PTA or AI fighter craft are allowed, only mines, missiles and main guns.

* 4. The match will end when either one of two conditions are met:

A. The 60-minute time limit expires.

B. One team has completed both objectives, though the match must still last at least 45 minutes.

Launch Bases/Respawn points:

Insurgents: Farpoint Station in Tapestran, (Version 2: AWACS craft Antilles Station in Rovarix, moving to the Junae region before match start) Respawn Point: Antilles Station in Rovarix

Galcom: Eterna Station in Galadran (Version 2: AWACS craft Quon Station in Ralean, moving to the Foron region before match start) Respawn Point: Quon Station in Ralean

Match Procedure:

The Two AWACS craft log in first, followed by the rest of the teams. In the event of no server logs or observer, when all craft are logged in and launched, they must send their name and ship type to their own AWACS craft (who send their info to themselves)

The AWACS craft keep their chat windows open all through the match, all other craft close theirs as soon as the match begins. Through teamspeak, the AWACS craft of each team can give his teammates good radar intelligence for as long as his craft is intact. (I.e. enemy craft current location and hyperdrive activity as given in his chat log) and continually update this information as he receives it. All craft are free to move around as they see fit (including the AWACS) with the only restriction that they stay in space.

When killed, all craft should respawn as cruisers, including the AWACS craft and carrier, the AWACS craft closing his chat window and becoming merely a conventional military asset for his team.

Team Objectives

Primary Objective: Destroy opposing AWACS craft while keeping your own alive: 3500 EP, 350 ranking points

Secondary Objective: Destroy the command craft of the opposing fleet (the Carrier ):1500 EP, 150 ranking points.

Both Primary and Secondary Objectives: 7000 EP, 700 ranking points.

I think there's enough variety in there to not require allowing the use of AI shuttles.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to be there this sunday to help the tests unless my daddy organize an Easter dinne with friends.....in that case I'll be stuck at the table for half the night.....

I'll let you know if I don't make it to the test.

If you don't hear from me I'll be there.

Good heavens, you're right Denny! Guys, at 1:30pm CST on Easter Sunday, there's no way I'm going to be able to make it since there's a lot of family and church related stuff going on that day (I'll probably be eating when the first shots are fired ).

Is there any way we can either do it Saturday or put it off a week?

As I feared I'll be stuck at dinner for half the night with guests.....

If all the stuffs will finish at a reasonable time I'll try to join late, otherwise....good testing boys....it will be for another time...

Man, I sure wish I could attend this particular test. But I will serve at my local church all day tomorrow (Saturday) and Easter Sunday. Nevertheless, Ben, Eye In The Sky looks like it'll be a blast. Great work!

I noticed Eye in the Sky has been added to the handbook. Does this mean it can be used as a valid fleet match straight away, or do we still have to oraganise a full test beforehand?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, while thinking about tactics last night (as I like to do), I realised that there is a tactical flaw in the scenario that, if properly exploited, makes it virtually impossible for one of the teams to achieve its primary objective . I'm not saying what it is, because I don't like giving away tactical tricks, but it can be closed by adding one extra rule:

The AWACS craft must restrict their movements to the Junae and Foron regions until destroyed or the match ends, but they are still free to move between those two regions and around within those regions as much as they like.

Final (honest ) version follows below:

Operation Eye in the Sky v2.2 (final)

Roleplay Notes

A major fleet engagement is imminent, and both sides have good intel provided by their AWACS crafts. Should one side lose their eye in the sky, it could be decisive

After a major solar storm which blanked out all radar and communication systems, it appears that both fleets AWACS craft have drifted well out of position and are vulnerable to enemy attack

Players required: 3 on each team

Both teams are comprised of the same craft:

1 AWACS craft (armed transport)

1 Carrier

1 Cruiser

Rules of Engagement

1. No going planetside by any member of either team.

2. No docking with any stations once the match has started. All craft must remain in space.

3. Except for the AWACS craft, which are allowed to use their PTA, no use of PTA or AI fighter craft are allowed, only mines, missiles and main guns.

4. The AWACS craft must restrict their movements to the Junae and Foron space regions once the match has started and until the match ends or they are destroyed. They are free to move around within those regions and move between those two regions as they see fit.

5. The match will end when either one of two conditions are met:

A. The 60-minute time limit expires.

B. One team has completed both objectives, though the match must still last at least 45 minutes.

Launch Bases/Respawn points:

Insurgents: Farpoint Station in Tapestran, (Version 2: AWACS craft Antilles Station in Rovarix, moving to the Junae region before match start) Respawn Point: Antilles Station in Rovarix

Galcom: Eterna Station in Galadran (Version 2: AWACS craft Quon Station in Ralean, moving to the Foron region before match start) Respawn Point: Quon Station in Ralean

Match Procedure:

The Two AWACS craft log in first, followed by the rest of the teams. In the event of no server logs or observer, when all craft are logged in and launched, they must send their name and ship type to their own AWACS craft (who send their info to themselves)

The AWACS craft keep their chat windows open all through the match, all other craft close theirs as soon as the match begins. Through teamspeak, the AWACS craft of each team can give his teammates good radar intelligence for as long as his craft is intact. (I.e. enemy craft current location and hyperdrive activity as given in his chat log) and continually update this information as he receives it. All craft are free to move around as they see fit (excluding the AWACS, see rule 4) with the only restriction that they stay in space.

When killed, all craft should respawn as cruisers, including the AWACS craft and carrier, the AWACS craft closing his chat window and becoming merely a conventional military asset for his team, able to move as freely as all the other players.

Team Objectives

Primary Objective: Destroy opposing AWACS craft while keeping your own alive: 3500 EP, 350 ranking points

Secondary Objective: Destroy the command craft of the opposing fleet (the Carrier ):1500 EP, 150 ranking points.

Both Primary and Secondary Objectives: 7000 EP, 700 ranking points

Sorry about that.

[ 03-31-2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Ben Zwycky ]

Guest Remo Williams

Ok thanks Ben, I'll change the entry in the ROE appendix of the handbook.

Anyone thats already printed the handbook and doesn't want to print it again just pencil in the revision for this ROE.

Well, Ben, I had my first go-round with your "Eye in the Sky" scenario tonight (testing with Chavik and Seedog) and now have a couple questions:

1. If the transports for both sides can only move between Foron and Junae, was it your intention to give the Ter/Mil team an advantage? Guardstar is a Ter/Mil starstation ... one that can be used for protective cover (the station will fire on an approaching insurgent ship). The Ter/Ins have no such place of refuge.

2. The shielding of an armed transport is rather skimpy. Is it okay for a transport to dock prior to the beginning of the match for an upgrade or two?

Note: Be advised that if a player accidently launches in the wrong craft, he/she should exit to desktop and start over. Else, other players (not the player him/herself) might erroneously see the first ship in the VDD, HUD and TacOps.

Marvin, shortly after you left I ran out of fuel and Seedog nearly did. I was still using Seedog as the AWAC and jumping after NPC's hither, thither, and yon. A genuine match may go better but if you manage to survive in your original ship the no docking restriction and time limit may incapacitate certain ships.

Yes they do, The Raider station in Foron is neutral to the Insurgents but hostile to Galcom. That's their refuge.

Yes, all craft are allowed to dock with stations prior to match start for extra supplies and upgrades, just once things go live they can't.

I checked my log. I deployed from Antilles at 22:07 according to the chat log. We played the scenario with Seedog acting as Awac until the NPC's died down and went back into Rovarix at 22:40 at which point we still used Seedog as AWAC and cleaned up that region. Not strictly in the ROE but Marvin had left and we were goofing off. I ran out of fuel and managed to get enough solar power going to launch a shuttle and tow me to Antilles where I logged into Antilles at 23:11. That's just over an hour of fuel give or take some time for sending a man to a shuttle and a jump through hyperspace. OEM ship, no upgrades, no fuel bought prior.

Guest Remo Williams

Remember that each fleet player is allowed 2 duels each month also on top of their normal team matches.

The duel ROE is in the handbook. Each duel is scored the same as a team match. Except the final score is not divided among the winning players team. Killing your opponent is the objective of the match.

When a Duel is carried out between two players of opposing teams both players must report the outcome of the duel to the Official scorekeeper to insure the proper score is applied to the winner in the Fleet DB. There is no penalty scored against the losing player of a duel.

We also have a campaign ROE that is about to be added the playerÔÇÖs handbook titled "The Great Race" That was written by Gordon. This Race is like an Iron Man race where you will use several different craft classes to complete each stage of the race. Each completed stage of the race has its own objective score value leading up to the finish line which is the primary objective.

Each individual player can only run the great race one time a month. This ROE will allow you to compete against other team members for time and score.

I'll post when the Great Race ROE is in the handbook so that you can read all the details, and start running it to boost your score.

Sounds cool. How do we challenge an individual player to a duel? Also, I saw no mention of cloaking in the ROE in the handbook. Is that permitted in the duel ROE, or not?

[ 04-13-2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Ben Zwycky ]

Guest Remo Williams

You can challenge a player anyway you like to a duel. A PM would probably work best.

I'm not sure if cloaking is allowed or not I'll ask the author.

Well, Ben Zwycky and Boran Zavok will be laying down (or accepting ) as many challenges as possible. Who is the official scorekeeper?

That's going to be a whole lot of ing going on

Who's first?