Announcement: 2005 Season Begins April 1st

Guest Remo Williams

Guest Remo Williams

Sure thing Ben we can set something up fairly soon.

Were currently correcting some spelling errors and adding new ROE to the Handbook if there are any tested ROE you would like to add nowÔÇÖs the time to send it to Marvin.

BTW with only 4 days left to the start of the 2005 season it looks like I'm going to have to postpone the start date. Until at least March 1st or maybe even April 1st to allow more time to figure out what to do about the inactive fleets. If we don't get this together by April then I will be calling it off all together.

The way I see it there are only two options that I can think of right off hand to allow us to compete this year. The first is to start from scratch and develop a new system that doesn't depend on a balanced structure. Which I'm dreading since so much time and thought went into creating our current system.

The second option is to replace the leadership of the inactive fleets with active fleet members from either within the fleet in question or from another fleet with active members. Don't know either way this bites.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Remo Williams

I guess I'll go back to the drawing board and develop a whole new system due to the inactive fleets. See you guys when I come up for air, contact Marvin to setup any unofficial MP session with Prime Fleet members in the meantime and have fun!!

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

I thought the ladder/challenge system as it was could handle any number of fleets as it stands ( or with very minor modifications) What problem am I missing?

It can handle any number of fleets, but holding matches with uneven alliance fleets throws off the scoring system. Say we have 3 GalCom Fleets, 1 Insurgent, and a fleet can only play 2 matches a month to keep everything even and fair. Ok so the only Insurgent Fleet, which is the opposing alliance to GalCom, plays their two matches in a month against Prime. Now whom is the ISS going to play against to get their two matches that month? The only opposing insurgent fleet has already played their two matches. There are no Gammulans so thatÔÇÖs out. There are no Raiders thatÔÇÖs out. Also we have EarthCom who will they play? They canÔÇÖt play GalCom they are not opposing Alliances. Then even if Wraith makes a showing GalCom Can't Play against GalCom they are from the same Alliance.

Anyway Ben the resources at galcom.net are available to any FL that comes up with a system. I'm going to take a back seat on this what ever you guys come up with is fine with me, or you can use some other method to keep track of stuff its up to you guys.

We'd have to allow Galcom to play galcom until our enemies get their numbers up, say it's a sparring match to keep each other sharp, or part of a friendly tournament for teh pride of galcom . I know it's not ideal from an rp point of view, but what else can we do?

Just a thought, but does any of the current Galcom fleets have excess members that wouldn't mind switching to another "enemy" side, or even creating a new one if the previous groups have disbanded?

I have noticed a few new players requesting to join fleets recently but most, or all of them seem to be signing up with the galcom forces only.

From what i've read in this thread however, it is not only the lack of active players causing problems but the lack of opposing fleets (IE: Gammulans, raiders, assassins etc..) Is this just because of the lack of MP players, or because of the lack of people to run/organize these fleets?

quote:

Is this just because of the lack of MP players

That is the current problem.

quote:

or because of the lack of people to run/organize these fleets?

That is not the problem at all. The current Fleet Leaders, (ie. Remo, Chavik, Ben, myself, etc) as well as other important players (Marvin, Gordon, Eclipse etc.) have done outstanding jobs in getting the MP tournaments working. Prime was instrumental in getting the program running and us Insurgents have done an outstanding job testing ROEs.

I have a proposal for the fleet ladder, if it is possible to implement. Have the minimum number of matches per month set at 2 and no maximum, but teams (for example the Insurgents) who play more than 4 matches in a given month will have their overall score for that month reduced as follows:

monthly total= total score in that month x 4/number of matches played in that month

This only applies to teams that play more than 4 matches. Teams will not get rewarded for playing less than 4.

This way every team has the chance to play 4 matches in a month, without necessarily violating fleet alliances and without one team amassing a much bigger score through playing more matches (though they will have the advantage of getting more match practice). This could also be applied to individual scores if you want, since if a fleet has more than one team, a given player can substitute on more than one team and play more than 4 matches in a month, but thatÔÇÖs up for debate.

The ladder doesnÔÇÖt have to calculate this automatically, the point adjustment can be added manually by a scorekeeper as a penalty (or match loss) or something, if there is such a feature in the ladder package.

What do people think?

Guest Remo Williams

I'm not sure what you mean Ben, but a penalty for playing matches doesn't sound to cool or fair.

I'm going to take a second look at all of this now. There has to be and option that doesn't require a ton of new or revision work.

Not a penalty really just your average match score multiplied by 4, scoring as if you've played 4 matches.

Just trying to find a way to allow all the galcom fleets to play 4 matches when there are too few opponents. The altenative is to ignore the alliances an dhave galcom fleets playing against each other, or for galcom fleets to start recruiting new commanders for the insurgents

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

...or for galcom fleets to start recruiting new commanders for the insurgents

This doesn't sound good to me...LOL!

Another altenative would be for fleet teams to count only their best four match scores in the month, so they still have something to gain by playing more matches in a given month, but I don't like throwing away match scores. This would only apply to teams, I prefer individuals to count all their matches.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Remo Williams

The Fleet's Stats board has been reset over at GalCom Online. I have created 1 team for Prime Fleet named Team Alpha which is Alpha Wings 1st Carrier Group. Once Prime fills the team with the mandatory three players for a team we will create another team if we have more members that wish to compete.

Fleet Leaders you can start registering your teams as you gain the members to fill them.

This is the only option I could come up with to allow us to compete with our established and documented MP system; if this fails there will be no fleet competition this year. I have encouraged all Prime Fleet members to create a second AE in a opposing alliance to allow them to form the needed teams to balance out the MP system. I also encourage all the other fleet members to do the same and create a second AE by registering with an opposing fleet in the DB. Just keep in mind these restrictions on secondary AE's when registering.

Restrictions

1. If you are a member of the GalCom Alliance your Secondary AE cannot join another GalCom Fleet. The same goes for the other alliances you cannot join a fleet within the same Alliance.
  2. Your Secondary AE must have a different Alias than your primary AE.
  3. Your Secondary AE cannot play a match against the Fleet for which your Primary AE is a member. Meaning that if I have a secondary Gammulan AE I cannot play a match against Prime as a Gammulan, but I can play my Gammulan AE against ISS, Wraith, Orion, Balor, Bishamon, Spectre, Eversor or Vanguard.

When you create your secondary AE by registering with the fleet DB you are a member of that fleet and are under the direction of the FL of the fleet you join as if that were the only fleet you are a member of.

Ok gentlemen it's all up to you now lets make this happen.

Guest Remo Williams

Just pick an Alliance chief I went Gammulan myself.

So whatÔÇÖs the hold up guys did I confuse everyone or something? No one but myself has created a second AE and there are no teams registered to the League stats ladder.

I'm starting to think no one wants to compete in MP, and Derek wasted his time and resources on the Fleet DB, and myself on the league ladder and various websites. I hope thatÔÇÖs not the case I would hate to see the Fleets get shut down as has been talked about in the recent past, but I wouldn't blame him considering the level of participation from us old timers and newbieÔÇÖs alike.

Well its up to you guys as I said if your not interested in some MP fun through fleet competition its all good. I'll give it another week or so if no other fleets start moving towards competition by forming the required teams there will be no need for me to continue to try to organize fleet MP or maintain websites to this end.

All loud and clear on my end BOSS, but I cannot afford to compete with two separates AE as I dubt I'll have the required time.

So as for now I'll be active in the Alpha Team trying to do my best for the good of the fleet.

If I'll have more time in the future I'll think about another AE.

Guest Remo Williams

Ok cool, if you have more time later it will help out in evening out the teams. That way all the active Galcom fleets can participate. Since we'll have and equal number of opposing Insurgent and Gammulan team to go up against.

Well, I like the idea of an AAE (Alternate AE!), but one of the concerns is this part:

quote:

When you create your secondary AE by registering with the fleet DB you are a member of that fleet and are under the direction of the FL of the fleet you join as if that were the only fleet you are a member of.

ISS has developed specific teamwork and tactics for MP (Ben has really, I'm just a fluff/RP writer at the moment), and I think we were wondering if we'd end up giving away the stuff we've been working to build our fleet with. The other question is whether we'd have similar participation standards for the AAE as with the AE. If we were under the direction of another fleet leader, I'd expect he'd want us to genuinely contribute to his fleet beyond "win the RP tournament." Neither Ben nor I have the energy to do twice what we're doing in ISS currently.

Can I ask, would there be any problem just having us register at the GALCOM.net gameladder and having that be what constituted our identity as an AAE? Ben and I had been discussing possibly moving our entire 3-4 man team as a unit to whatever alternate alliance we'd sign on as in order to keep our investment in teamwork and tactics from our fleet practices, but we hadn't settled anything as yet since we were waiting to hear more discussion on the idea.

Since we don't want to let the MP season drop, then let me ask, what's your opinion on a more limited AAE identity that didn't include official fleet db registration, just registration on the GALCOM.net gameladder? Would that be impractical or lose something important? Are Ben and I missing something?