MP Fleet Action Tournament

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Over the years we've been waiting here for MP I've been thinking about a different approach that I'm gearing Prime toward.

Will be capturing our stats to primefleet.com and the other fleet's stats will be displayed at Galcom online. I'm sure your FC will fill you in on the rest once all the rule are worked out between the Fleet Commanders, documented, and sent to the SC to be approved in the next few weeks.

Sounds interesting, where are those posts documented? (on the forums?) Are you suggesting some sort of collaboration?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

...and made the fleets on the map color coded--GALCOM is blue, and the Insurgent Fleets (Bishamon has been added) are Red. If the Gammulans show up, we can put them in green or some other color; I'm not picky about this really. ("Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?")

ZM out.

What about the Raider fleet? I think the raiders should be red, as when playing as a raider ingame, everything is red.

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

...as when playing as a raider ingame,
everything
is red.

Well I'll tell you what I told Marvin, the colors are more or less arbitrary and not meant to reflect the chat commands since all alliances will see the same gameboard and the whole friendly/neutral/hostile thing wouldn't work. I picked blue for GALCOM because it's the predominant color in their logo, red for the insurgents because it seemed like a good color for OppFor (I might have chosen gray from their logo, but I wanted it to stand off from the planet label colors). These can be any color people want, but think flag colors instead of friendly/hostile chat window settings.

ZM out.

You know, one of the reasons I had for wanting the SP map over the MP map was that if we were using the existing fleets, then we'd have no room to put them all and no room for them to maneuver on the map.

I think the MP map is big enough if it's just two sides, but that makes me wonder if perhaps we could use a smaller MP map for specific engagements between two fleets. That way the smaller MP map would track the individual battle between those two (or three at the outside), and the larger SP map might be updated according to who won the MP mini-campaign. That wouldn't be so hard to code....

Just musing, but that might be the best of both worlds....

Curious to hear input on this one.

Wow, I just read the rules for the map-based campaigns in the link I posted above. You guys thought I was being complex? Sheesh! (These are the guys we write off as not having the patience to read a manual?!) For the record the first time I saw anything like that was just this morning (thanks to Zothen).

I went around looking for a solution before I decided to code my own, but it's interesting that many of the Fleet Action concepts map out similarly to their solution independently. If you wanted to know what i was ultimately shooting at, something like that link above would be the fullest implementation, but I think we can start with much less.

quote:

That way the smaller MP map would track the individual battle between those two (or three at the outside), and the larger SP map might be updated according to who won the MP mini-campaign. That wouldn't be so hard to code....

You are finally starting to make sense as to what I would consider a tournament.

A couple skirmishes define the round. a couple rounds define the bout.

Bleh I'm dense.

Hi friends, couple of notes. First of all, I'm getting married on Saturday, so the two weeks after that I'll be thinking of you all fondly while I enjoy the sunshine in Hawaii--and I won't obviously be here. (Okay, actually I won't be thinking of you at all while I enjoy the sun, the sand, and the surf there. But I'll let you know how it went ).

The Fleet Action stuff will obviously take a little break, but I thought you'd all like to know that we're ready to begin playtesting. Some have said, "what's to playtest?" because it's not like we're talking about actual bug testing for software code. Nonetheless, structuring and organizing the use of the map (and choosing which map) in coordination with the MP element of the game will reveal a set of "best practices" that will help us figure out what's best to do. I'm going to get the people who've signed up on the Fleet Action site to help me do that when I get back.

Now I've noticed that many of the people who have expressed interest have been actually located in Europe or (in one case), Japan. I'm glad to have those players, but because it's hard to coordinate MP games with folks who are on the GMT+ side of the world, I'm going to end up deputizing one of the european players to help coordinate those players since they're in the same time zone. In the meantime, I need to get more stateside players involved, so to those of you who are interested, get registerd at http://fleetaction.onthequest.com , and we'll get set up so we can get started when I get back.

By the way, her name's Kari, we met in grad school (we've now both got M.A. degrees in philosophy, so our fights are subtle and precise), and we've been together for about 3 1/2 years. I promise I won't gush, but I can definitely tell you that she's someone I won't mind getting old with

All the best friends, my posting this week will be intermittent at best as we tie up last minute details. We'll see you promptly on or after the 12th of July when we'll begin the next phase, the first has been basically finished.

ZM out.

Edit: Moved comma so Zane's forum link would work

[ 06-21-2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

I am waiting for the next person to keep taking this thread off topic. So, go on. I dare you. In fact, I double dare you. Stuff like this has a specific forum forum for it.

...but while I'm here, congrats Zane!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back. The honeymoon was fantastic (as honeymoons should be) and while I was out there I got an open-water diving certification (that was fantastic too!)

However, to business. There are three news items of note.

First, I've asked ShoHashi if he wanted to have an XO spot to basically superintend the Fleet Action idea while I'm away or if I'm not present with others when they have questions. He has accepted, and we are getting coordinated currently.

Second, I'm going to appoint someone to do coordinate the european contingent in Fleet Action MP since they are a few timezones off and we need someone to be present at those battles who isn't either asleep or at work (or both ). I have a candidate in mind, but I haven't seen him yet since I got back. Feel free to PM me if you think there is someone eminently qualified.

Thirdly, I'm in the process of implementing the MP map for use in this game. The people have spoken, and I'm listening, so I'm going to be putting both maps up and we can experiment until we find out what we like--enough talking about it in the abstract.

That's all for now, battle begins shortly.

ZM out.

Hey question, if we're using the MP map, because we don't have a lot of space to spread out on it an I have to position the fleets on that map, what if I didn't position the fleets, but rather just showed the allegiances of the systems and participating fleet commanders could choose to attack any sector that was adjacent to one they owned? It would be kind of like the other map-based link I posted above (the Natural Selection link I think it was called).

I'm curious to know how we might usefully format the MP map. Let me know what you think.

ZM out.

Well Zane, it sure would simplify things and that good for management purposes.

However, on a realistic basis this doesn't make sense. It would mean that you could attack an adjacent square while the whole fleet was originally fighting at the other side of the allied space regions. Are you intending to add some kind of move points per turn, or?

Thanks for the welcome Denny!

Mordax, I've been trying to keep the rules as simple as possible since people have been suggesting a simple beginning that adds rules only as necessary and as people desire, so I'd be reluctant to add something like move points unless it was absolutely necessary.

Wouldn't the map be too crowded if we tried to use the MP map in the same manner as the SP map? GALCOM has only four systems on the MP map and I don't have the ability (at present) to have more than one fleet in the same system. The insurgents have only two systems, and what, 3-4 fleets?

What if we did something like my original idea to use the MP map strictly to setup battle scenarios between two fleets? In that case, it would show where fleets need to deploy initially, and perhaps what they need to accomplish. When that is settled, then the SP map could be updated with the success or failure of the scenario, and planets could change hands or whatever.

Let me know what you think.

ZM out.

I think it would be a good idea afterall to use the SP map instead of the MP one. At least for the time being.

The actions, tactics and so on are just imagined to be fought inside the SP world, whereas we only use the MP world for 'battle arena's' ignoring their actual location in the MP world.

This was your original idea and I do think it might be the best option for now, afterall.

Okay, so now I need some ideas for scenarios. These would be missions that a fleet commander would issue as an "order" that would enhance some aspect of his fleet. Currently I'm imagining things like resupply, training, attacking or defending a planet, etc.

Suggestions?

ZM out.