Fleet League Medals- Calling all budding graphic artists!

Well, since it is possible to earn medals during the fleet league season, it would be good to create some images to represent those medals, since there are no images of medals in the game.

These medal designs will NOT be recognised as such by 3000AD, they will purely be used for the fleet league.

The medals we need designs for are:

Award for Gallantry

Combat Shield

Order of the Wraith

Planetary Shield

CommanderÔÇÖs Shield

Eye of Andromeda

Star of Merit

Order of the Universe

I already have some ideas for the Combat Shield, planetary shield, Eye of Andromeda and Order of the Universe, but it's too much work to try and do all of them myself, and I'm sure there are people full of good ideas and creative talent who would like to contribute to the community in this way.

If more than one offer is made for any given medal, we will have a vote on which one should be used, if necessary adjusting it to fit in with other accepted designs, and people can give immediate feedback once a given medal idea is posted, enabling modifications to be made before presenting their final version.

Every medal should have a complimentary ribbon design unique to the medal itself. That way, you can display just the ribbon ... assuming mods to the standard sig are allowed ... taking up far less room.

Oi... I might be able to get something for you if things settle down in a few months; right now there is too much stuff goin on.

These pics wouldn't be part of your sig, you would have maybe a link in your sig to your 'medal cabinet' or 'dress uniform' page at Galcom HQ, so pic size is not so much of an issue.

That sounds like an idea...

If you can, go ahead and send your ideas to me Ben, I could get them drawn out for you then if you'd like, plus add a few of my own.

After this weekend, I'll put some together as well...don't know where I'll post them at though, but I'll find somewhere...

We'll post the offers in the Fleet League Discussions section of the Galcom HQ forums, so as to keep all league-related subjects in one place. I was announcing it here so as to get as much attention as possible.

The ribbons idea is an excellent one, Marvin, and shouldn't be hard to set up almost immediately, well before we have the final medal designs voted for.

If you're short of webspace, you can always send them to me and I can upload them to ISS's pages, as I have ftp access there.

This discussion should be contuinued here

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

The ribbons idea is an excellent one, Marvin, and shouldn't be hard to set up almost immediately, well before we have the final medal designs voted for.

This discussion should be contuinued

Before you take this thread elsewhere, you might want to look at designs for ribbons that already exist:

[*]US Army

[*]US Navy

[*]US Marine Corps

[*]US Air Force

[*]US Coast Guard

Some U.S. veterans who have been awarded these medals take a dim view of anyone using the same design. My guess is some vets of other countries would feel the same. So, when you design a medal, do the impossible: try to come up with a (slightly) different design.

• 4 weeks later...

Medals I understand. I have a few from high school. But what are those strips of Ribbons with no medals? Some guys have a few while the highers ups (I do watch the news )have like a 3 x 5 index card full.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

But what are those strips of Ribbons with no medals?

Every medal (that I know of) is hung from a piece of cloth decorated with some stripe pattern particular to that medal. When you receive the medal, it comes with a "ribbon" decorated with the same pattern.

Military regs dictate when, where, and how you can wear the full medal ... and when you should wear just the ribbon.

For more information, you can check:

About - US Army Awards, Decorations, Campaign & Service Medals. Notice that, when you click on one of the ribbons, it takes you to a medal that's designed as described above.

Also check:

US Military Service Ribbons and Awards

Is my proposal for the Combat Shield ribbon too close to the Marine Corps Drill Instructor Ribbon?

It's the same colours and basic layout but a different width stripe.

It's pretty hard to avoid every single ribbon design out there.

Guest Remo Williams

Once we have two or three sets of medals put together we'll hold a poll to allow everyone to vote on which ones will be used in the league. Unless one of the other FL's has a better idea to determine which ones to use.

It'll probably take me another week or two to finish of my proposals for the other four medals. Anyone know a program for converting uc models to other formats? (I was thinking of putting a formation of icmk2's on the Commander's shield).

A poll sounds like the best option, Remo.

Should we wait for someone else to finish their set (no-one else has so far announced that they are working on one, if they are they should announce it here) or should we have our poll?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll get around to mine and do some touch-ups as well...I'm just busy busy right now with a few things, and I'll get them updated at the same address (which I'll post again when I made the changes).

• 3 months later...

Well, since no-one else finished their sets, it was decided at yesterday's fleet meeting to go with this set (though whether to use the extra 'Combat shield with bar' idea in some way was not decided (it probably won't be).

I hope you all feel this an acceptable default choice, and would be proud to wear any one of them on your dress uniform.

The Fleet League will be restarting very soon- get ready.