Proposals

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwcky

I originally sent this just to Sho and Derek, who instructed me to post it here:

According to the official authority granted to me over Wraith Fleet by Remo (see attached proposal, was slightly modified as to the location of their website), Case has now reached the required EP level through his enthusiasm and very varied contribution to the fleet (see link below for details), which is ongoing.

http://wraith.wubbema.com/modules.php?name...=stats&userid=1

He has also shown initiative in contacting the other members of Wraith and encouraging them to get involved in fleet action, and is working on revamping the static content of their fleet website. He was a long-time 3000ad forum lurker before being recruited into Wraith.

He has shown commitment, dedication, initiative and a highly positive attitude to all activities he has taken part in, as well as attempting to recruit new members into Wraith (so far unsuccessfully), and providing MP servers for other fleet members to play on (for both UC and tribes), all things a good leader should do. I have just promoted him to leader of the Special Operations Group

I would like to propose promoting him to leader of Wraith Fleet.

I will stay on as an admin at the Wraith Forums to assist in the transition and in whatever advisory or support capacity Case requests, until such time as he decides he is able to manage on his own and promote his own assistant, and changes the admin access passwords and my account status to that of a normal user.

IMO, Wraith still hasn't reached critical mass as far as active membership is concerned (4 members; 2 active, 1 semi-active), so ISS will continue to recruit for them and direct those who wish to join ISS to Wraith instead until they have at least another 3 active members.

Do I have your approval to promote him?

Later,

Ben

I've created this thread so that the Community will have a central location to read Fleet Related proposals and offer their comments, criticisms and discussion.

Please stay on topic and and flame-fests will be deleted.

Ben, I don't have a problem with it.

-Sho

[ 07-27-2006, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: ShoHashi ]

In that case, may I be the first to publicly congratulate Case on his promotion? I have updated his access to the fleet database and at Wraith forums.

Congratulations to the new Wraith Fleet Leader! May you be the reason for many a galactic ghost story.

I gladly accept this posting. I will do my utmost to carry on the tradition of Wraith Fleet, and do my best to help rebuild it to a formidable force once again.

Cheers!

Nothing of this has been set up yet, IÔÇÖm just presenting a proposal here to see if this is worth doing.

As I mentioned earlier in another thread, there are several projects that we have planned or partially completed, but there is a lot of work to do on them, and there are few of us with the time and expertise to see them through to completion.

In an intelligent community like ours, there must be plenty of people skilled in web application and module creation, so what I am proposing is a space where people can come together, pool their talents and resources, and work on and test modules and applications that the entire community can enjoy and make use of.

We can create a subdomain at ISS for this very purpose, to be named the foundry or shipyard (yet to be decided),with itÔÇÖs own phpnuke environment, forum, database and ftp accounts for sharing work in progress and plans, requesting feedback and assistance and testing out modules and projects before providing them to the community at large by relocating them to official fleet website(s). This means nobody has to worry about security issues or about possibly messing up someoneÔÇÖs site.

Your opinions, gentlemen?

• 1 month later...

I realize that not everyone has the time to participate in scheduled Multiplayer Fleet activities because of time differences, RL concerns, etc. People may also not want to play online because they just prefer playing offline.

In an effort to get the Community to contribute ideas, I'm looking to hear any proposals to incorporate Single Player (SP) people into the Fleets that anyone may have.

If you have a proposal or questions on this, please PM me and we can discuss further.

-Sho

[ 09-07-2006, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: ShoHashi ]

• 1 year later...

Over the past few days, I've been discussing some Fleet-related items with Quazar. Here's an idea that he presented that might possibly help with RP and MP participation between the fleets. He's given me the go-ahead to post it in its entirety.

Quazar said:

Why do incompatible game versions need to stop you guys from organizing matches? Just find out who has what game version and divide into groups of SE/CE, AWA, UCG, and (soon to be) FreeGames - UC/BCMG. You'll need to reassess who has what version periodically as new people register on the forums and new Galactic Command titles debut - I'd suggest you do this quarterly.

So what you'll do is hold a weekly meeting of all groups at the same time; early Sunday evenings worked great for us before. Setup TeamSpeak somewhere and have everybody meet there. Each week, one player from each version group will need to sit out the match so that he can host the game server for everyone else. If this is going to work you will need enough people with multiple versions (and sufficient hardware and internet connection) who are willing to host for one group and play in another. You'll need to hold one match for every game version represented that week. Make sure that every player who attends gets a chance to play at least one match. People's weekend time is valuable. This means you'll only have time to play one match per game version per week, so start with the largest group on TS that week.

Don't worry about team ladders, championships, Fleet Action rules, or even having persistent teams at all. Just get this far first. Although Fleet roles are best manifested in their native RP environment - where Fleets were born - they can still play a big part in MP. But you need to establish a pattern of regular MP meets first

Quazar, if you need to elaborate more on something you stated above, please by all means, do so.

Does anyone have any questions, comments or concerns about this?

-Sho

He has some good ideas about pairing people with compat versions.

As for multiplayer, this is how the games are paired. Remember that all clients should be running the same version as the server.

BCMG (not sure why anyone would still be playing this)

UC + UCG

UCAWA

UCSE + UCCE

The incompatible aspects of these games is mostly down to content and multiplayer layer. e.g. the multiplayer layer, as well as the content in all of the

above games are different. But those [paired] games run the same version of the multiplayer script. In fact, UCAWA + UCSE + UCCE can all play on the same

multiplayer server as far as the mp script is concerned. The only problem would be in terms of the server version because e.g. the UCCE server running the

latest build, will not allow UCAWA or UCSE clients to connect since they are at a different version build.

I am not releasing BCMG and UC for free anytime soon (maybe around the end of 2008), but UCG is only $9.95 fer crissakes and its system requirements

are the lowest of all the three later games. Even UCAWA has low system requirements, a much improved multiplayer layer than UC+UCG and is only $20.

So, you guys standardizing on a single game for your fleet purposes, should be a no-brainer. I would suggest either UCG or UCAWA due to their lower sys

requirements.

In fact, one of the reasons I stopped hosting official servers is because you folks couldn't get your acts in gear to actually use them. Why pay for something

if its not going to be used. I still have the servers, but they're going to be hosting GALCOM games instead.

He has some good ideas about pairing people with compat versions.

Agreed.

I would suggest either UCG or UCAWA due to their lower sys requirements.

Good idea.

In fact, one of the reasons I stopped hosting official servers is because you folks couldn't get your acts in gear to actually use them. Why pay for something

if its not going to be used.

I understand, SC. I would have probably done the same thing for the same reason as you.

-Sho

BTW I'm officially back from my two year break from the Fleets community, though I'm not quite ready to join up in the Db just yet. Because I'm quite busy with RP reference work on my own machine, you probably won't see me post much more than while I was gone until I'm ready to start posting stories.

Thanks for your additions and clarifications, SC.

I forgot to also mention that as of the .03.02 patch, the console multiplayer server version in UCCE can run on HW+SW that does not need to meet the requirements for running the game e.g. it will run on Windows Server 2003 R2 with an on-board and non-compliant (i.e. non-PS 2.0 spec) graphics chipset.

Due to the architectural and engine versions, that code cannot be backported to the previous games.

For UC or UCAWA, there shouldn't be any need for someone to sacrifice themselves to host, we have Rip's server to use for that, a solid machine with a relatively high (3Mbit) upload bandwidth. As soon as I get home on Sunday night (am writing from my parents house), I'll give admin details for it to Quazar and Sho so they can manage it as well. If there is sufficient demand, someone can buy UCSE or CE (or UCG) for it as well to enable us to support those versions equally comfortably.

I can donate a free digital distribution copy of any game you guys want to run on Rip's server. Just let me know what game you guys want and I'll make a download available for it.

In fact, I can donate a free server copy to anyone hosting a server for use by fleets and such.

Also, what are the specs for Rip's server? It may be able to host the console version of any two games.

Excellent, thanks, SC, time to do a survey of what game versions people have. I can't remember it's exact specs offhand, I'll be able to tell you on Sunday or Monday, but I do remember we tried running two game versions at once in console mode, but it was less stable than one, so we just stuck to one at a time, switching when required and restarting immediately before a match for maximum stability.

As long as the server meets or exceeds the games recommended requirements for multiplayer and has at least 1GB of memory, you should be able to run two console instances.

My guess is that the stability is due to the fact that the UCCONFIG.INI file was not correctly tweaked for use on the server. But I can provide a tweaked version of that INI file once I know what you guys want to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thadius (the newest member of Wraith Fleet) has a dedicated server he would like to provide for the fleets, but can't afford a second copy of AWA right now. Would your offer of a server copy of AWA still stand for him, SC?

• 4 weeks later...

Rip's going to be rebuilding his MP server from scratch, the previous one was dismantled after some hardware issues, and so if the offer of free server copies still stands, we'll need one of AWA (plus maybe UC:CE, seems like quite a few people are interested in MP based on that, we'll need to do a survey) for him.

Also, Ixos has also got a server he wants to make available to the fleets on demand, and he's been a regular participator in fleet MP for the last two years or so, so I think he can be trusted and it would be good to have a backup server just in case. The only version he has is AWA, so a server copy of that for him would mean a good solid AWA MP server on the European side of the pond that he could join himself.