which copy protection is in use on the US release of ucce?

ouch

You mean the BioShock SecuROM copy protection where a bunch of people freaked out because its hiding some registry keys, so they called it a rootkit? It was mislabeled by a couple anti-spyware programs. Its most definitely not a rootkit, as it doesn't satisfy the whole requirement where it gives people root access into your machine.

As for UCCE, SC has already said that it'll be using SecuROM in another post.

http://www.3000ad.com/forum/index.php?s=&a...st&p=143690

Thats right, SecuROM does NO such thing. And I checked before deciding to use it. It was either that or use Starforce again.

And I don't do anything fancy either because it will just screw up the timing and thus the game's AI - which requires real-time processing

that is far more sensitive than graphics frame rate updates. All it does is check that you have the DVD-ROM in the drive. Thats it.

I have been meaning to change the DRM on the previous games (UCG, UCAWA, UCSE) to SecuRom (they also have an on-line activation),

but it costs too much and I can't be bothered. Since this would be only for the BMT Micro and DigitalRiver versions (since Direct2Drive

uses their own, based on Macrovision's ActiveMark copy protection), I can't be bothered.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for confirmation. I ended up removing all software that used Starforce not only for concerns technically but because I despise that company's approach to customers.

Secu-ROM is all good with me.

Thanks for confirmation. I ended up removing all software that used Starforce not only for concerns technically but because I despise that company's approach to customers.

Secu-ROM is all good with me.

Starforce causes my explorer.exe to randomly lock up. I have not had single problem with SC's securom cd checker however. (well, besides the slightly increased time from double click to game menu...)