Well, I'm impressed

Wyrdsmith

Hi all. I posted on here a bit back in 2004 or so when I picked up vanilla UC, the only one in the franchise I've played. I played it pretty regularly, but a very glitchy PC setup contributed to a lot of CTDs and other problems, and after losing my second major career to file corruption, I gave it up.

A few days ago, I stumbled upon yet another *cough* glowing review of the game on a game site. What a bunch of whiners. For a series I enjoy, it's ironic that I always seem to get reminded of this franchise by the copious amounts of bitching involved by reviewers. Long story short, I picked up UCCE at the local game store, and I must say, I'm pretty impressed. The planetary engine is vastly improved, and I'd completely forgotten how jaw-droppingly huge the damn game is (teach me to land thirty clicks out from an Insurrectionist base and try to drive). I like the FPS portion a lot. It's a lot different than the more common 'shooter' types like Halo and Half Life, but the huge scale, and unit tactics are very fun. In some ways, it feels pretty realistic, and being able to explore whole planets (and nuke them from orbit) is just awesome. The draw distance is staggering.

The new anti-aliasing/shading options make the space side of things look great, and i love the new gun sounds and effects. Makes the ships sound much more menacing. Sure, the graphics may not look as good as, say, FEAR or Halo 3, the last time I checked, you couldn't coordinate orbital strikes, fighter attacks, and ground assaults on one of hundreds of bases on a planet while you ride shotgun on a tank as your mile long carrier roars overhead raining PTA fire in Halo. I'd forgotten how much fun this game was, though it' really probably better labeld as a simulation. It's got a lot more in common with Sub Command and Decicive Action and other 'sims' than most games.

Actually, maybe that's the reason for all the bitching. People buy a game, and bitch if it's not easy to play. Sim players, on the other hand, bitch if the Cessna cockpit has a gauge with too many bolts, or the waterfall display in a 688 attack sub doesn't use proper sound channel modeling for the ocean thermal layer. Giving a game like this to some gonzo at IGN or Gamespot to review is like handing my dog an algebra textbook and asking him to graph polynomials. I'd almost forgotten how rewarding some of these sim games are, and how much fun it actually is to have to think as well as react in a game. Of course, a lot of the thinking, I'm finding, involves various ways of saying 'gee, that was dumb' I'm a bit rusty :headshake:

Anyway, nice job to Derek and the dev team. This thing is THE definitive starship sim IMO, and since everyone else is whining and moaning about it being impossible, I figured I'd chime in and say thanks. It's rare a developer sticks with a series this long and develops it to such gigantic proportions. Think I'll stick around this time. Maybe join one of the MP fleets if the time commitment isn't too big.

Well, i too, like this game very much.

Its like Star Trek without crappy looking ships IMHO

Its like Star Wars without all the clowns and Luke with the hair for a shampoo commercial

Its like Battlestar Galactica, but not the old crappy one (my humble opinion) the NEW version

and so on....

:headshake:

So, yeah,, i really dig this game, since i love the act of commandeering a huge space vessel AND her crew so much...

Automated turrets, orbital strikes, atmospheric flight, surface/fps - vehicular combat with fighter support, exploration, even huge battles,,

this game has it all...!!

BUT people are (none the less) ENTITLED to THEIR OWN OPINIONS,,

so if somebody thinks that this game ain't no good for some reason, its THEIR LOSS,,

ALAS; i dont think that we should be cursing them, lest we are whiners ourselves.,..,,,

PS;;

''People buy a game, and bitch if it's not easy to play. Sim players, on the other hand, bitch if the Cessna cockpit has a gauge with too many bolts, or the waterfall display in a 688 attack sub doesn't use proper sound channel modeling for the ocean thermal layer.''

-You have a very good point there. So damned hard to make people happy,,, especially with a niche genre like BC/UC series.. BUT this is why i like these games so very much. They are UNIQUE.

These games lets you accomplish what other games will not even give you a glimpse of.

....Sure, its hard, but the manual is good, and the community is helpful, so its all solved:)

• 2 months later...
:D Me too. The deeper I go in this game, the more awe-struck I become.

I have to say, those people who say anything negative about this game must be incredibly lazy, illiterate, stupid or just were spoiled children who grew up to be adults who need everything spoon fed to them...

To all of you who have put 10 hours or less into the game and complain...

This is for you...

:lol2::)

• 1 month later...

I've been able to finally purchase a copy of this game and have a rig thats capable to run it really well. The graphic updates are spectacular and the game runs so smoothly. I understand that there is newer games out, but from what i've read they are specific to a single class. I do wonder thought if there are multiplayer servers out there or is it because I'm using a different verison? I've only patched to the 1.0.0.4 verison due to the warning SupCmd gave about the DVD verison and 1.0.0.5. But still great game I look forward to seeing you guys hopefully on a multiplay game sometime.