[UCCE] Fatal Crashs

Im posting here because I tried to submit a ticket and it will not let me, it asks to select a department, and there are none.

I just picked up UCCE, and I played some of the older titles a long time ago.. took a bit to get use to but Im having alot of problems with crashing. All my drivers are up to date and the problem is universal across all casts/class/misson etc.

This is whats happening;

I alt tab out of the game, it crashes 90% of the time

I get an IM (instant message) it crashes either a few minutes after getting it or right away, I use msn and skype..skype is not crashing it but I do have to quit/save.. leave the game.. then reply which is really annoying.

Virus scan wants me to action something, it boots me to desk top and crashes the game.

Windows Updates and it crashes the game.

Basically anything that runs in the back ground that either needs my direct attention or other wise seems to affect the stability.. and really I don't want to close down every app that I have going, since I have them going for other games and enjoy chatting with others in IM while playing.

IMO I think a windowed setting would help, has helped me in the past with other games that seem to have stability issues when playing full screen and you alt tab out. And the option to save in game would be nice, since I have to quit/save everytime I want to try something and have a fall back point.

Another thing I have observed is it seems to randomly disallow things like shooting your weapons, hyperspace travel and observing planets.. theres no real pattern but seems to mostly happen after resuming/restoring a game.

Anyways I doubt there is any quick fix for it.. but I would like to keep playing, its just getting rather annoying atm.

You shouldn't be running ANY background programs when playing games, let alone games which require as much resources as possible and which are real-time.

Don't alt-tab out of the game. You're either playing a game or you're not. So, don't multitask games.

Though 100% unsupported, you can run the game in a window. Read the FAQ.

The ticket system has not changed, so I don't know why it would ask for a dept. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Ticket system works fine for me. You register and then the window to enter a ticket opens. You fill in the information.

Another thing I have observed is it seems to randomly disallow things like shooting your weapons, hyperspace travel and observing planets.. theres no real pattern but seems to mostly happen after resuming/restoring a game.

Thats all in your head and in your imagination. Lay off the juice. :looksaround:

LoL

Well not sure whats going on with the ticket system on my end then .. i registered, went to submit a ticket then it would not let me go any further with out selecting a dept, and its still refusing to let me do so >.<

Hmm well thank you on the quick response then.. I guess all my fans need to just wait till I have time in between trashing and pillaging Ter/Mil colonies, for me to respond to their tells and IMs. And I will see if running windowed will help.

Thats all in your head and in your imagination. Lay off the juice. :looksaround:

NOOO!! the juice keeps the shakes and the pink elephants away!! I swear I was boarded by them.. I currently have everyone searching the ship... they will not steal another shuttle!!!

Cheers

LOL!!! Ooooh, he has a sense of humor. You'll fit right in!!! The line to Resnig's office forms over there to the left :looksaround:

ALT+TAB on Windows is a tricky bugger to nail down. For some less critical games, it works. For others, it bombs right out. Its all Microsoft's fault actually because of how they are

handling the OS resources because the code I have in there is straight out of MSDN. Oh well.

Anyway, I just tried it again, the support ticket works. I even logged in as a new user. I logged in, clicked on Submit Ticket, and the ticket window opened. Try clearing your browser cache and

try again.

Eh, I had the same problem a while ago (playing UC:SE AND browsing the internet/all kind of things you don't really need to do), fixed it by playing the game in windowed mode (as SC said, read the FAQ :looksaround:). I noticed that playing in windowed mode at high resolutions made the game highly unstable, so just make sure you're not running higher than, say, 800x600 or 1024x768.

That was of course before I bought a new rig ONLY dedicated to UC. You just can't imagine how stable the game is now.

I guess there shouldn't be any realy difference with UC:CE

The game was never designed to be run in a window and you simply shouldn't do it because in windowed mode, it is at the mercy of Windows OS resource management, time slicing, priority etc and all sorts of other crazy shit that Windows does.

The window mode was created only for debugging purposes and for running the multiplayer graphics/console server since they do not need to be fullscreen or at any resolution higher than 800x600.

I only documented the commands for switching to windowed mode in order for folks who are getting errors, to see what the error is because in full screen you won't see it on some graphics cards drivers.

So..

just.don't.do.it.