New Player Looking for Starter info and Tips for UCCE

Moonracer1313

I just ordered UCCE and have been lurking through the forum and 300AD website looking for information while waiting for the game to arrive in the mail. I thought I'd ask a couple questions here and hopefully other new players could get the answers here as well.

1. I read that there are some online documents for the game but I have not found them. In particular I heard about a lengthly FAQ, which seems like a terrific place for me to start. Is that available on the web or is it included on the game disk? Same goes for any other documents. If they aren't on the disk, where might I find them?

2. For a new player, what would be the best recommended way to jump into the game and get used to the main features? I'm guessing the free Roam game will allow the most flexibility to experiment with different aspects of the game. Would people recommend the campaigns or scenarios more?

3. How hard are the Campaigns? Am I going to have to know every element of the game first or can I learn as I go along and make mistakes?

I'm really excited about finally getting to play this game! I'm glad to see that it is still around and improvements have been made over the years. I hope that word gets out about the Collectors edition (I admittedly found it by accident). I'm sure there are others like myself who held off buying the first release because of bad reviews and forgot about the game but are willing to give it a chance now.

Welcome to the BC universe,

Best tip anyone can give you is.... Read The Fine Manual. Twice.

Fire up a roam game and explore.

I'm taking bets that you don't make it out of the solar system before your shiny new CC goes BOOM!!! :):)

LMAO WOLFERZ!!!

Yaeh, I fully agree.

Read the manual and keep it at hand.

Explore a bit and when you are comfortable, fire up the campaign. At the end, you'll continue in free roam mode.

Also, Play the tutorial games for space and planetary combat roles, it helps a lot.

I printed and bound all of the information manual, tutorial, config options, glossary, keyboard commands, and all of the appendices that are listed under Docs in windows after install and bound it as a handy reference book ~400 pages. I recommend doing this as you are able to look at stats of all ships, planets, star stations, FPW etc and determine (with the game paused) whether you really want to attack something or not...

If you read the manual and play the tutorials you will be in awe of the depth of the game design and capabilities.

Remember, this is not HL2, but using your imagination and putting some time in, you will have a blast.

Save early, Save often...

(do not be afraid to restart the game after your ships reactor goes critical...)

:)

I'm finally getting the basics down and getting a hang of things in the game. It's definitely more simulation than game! To answer my own questions:

1. All the electronic documents are in the game install directory. There is a lot of useful information and I've probably only read a third of it so far. The manual and game commands sheet that come with the boxed game are pretty much required reading/reference material. If there's a quick reference sheet with all the acronyms like DIE,TLM,NID,etc. and what they do, I need it! Trying to figure out one in the manual requires already understanding the other two or three used to explain it.

2. In order to get started I made a Roam campaign and figured out the basic commands. Then figured out how to move my AE to a shuttle, launch it and land the shuttle on a planet to mess with first person mode. After that I jumped into a couple Instant Action games and finally started to have fun. I think I'd recommend new players just jump right into Instant Action and just pause to use the manual as a reference while trying to figure something out.

So far the game is growing on me.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

Here is the lowdown on the 400 + page printed manual, it includes all of the appendices which have all of the info you are looking for...

Start - Programs - 3000AD - Universal Combat Collectors Edition - Docs -

Appendix

&

Glossary

I have printed all of this info, so I can access all of the data (which is extremely handy) during full screen game play.

This game is absolutely incredible in its scope as you will see...

The programmers have set this up to be the future "realistic universe simulator" of all time.

No game is perfect, but after spending thousands of hours (Hard Core Gamer :D ) on many different games, this one is well worth the effort.

Use the appendices, play the tutorials, read the manual (again and again like me) and let your imaginaton run free...

Have a blast! :D

• 2 weeks later...

If you're really new, one of the best practical safety tips:

Always power off Launch Control when you don't actually need it on.

If intruders get onto your ship (and they will) they will often make a beeline to the shuttle bay and try to steal one. While it's possible to get the shuttle back, you may be looking at the expense of replacing it. If Launch Control is off, the intruder will be trapped and the Marines can gun him down.

And if I recall properly, you only need Launch Control on to launch craft, not to recover them.

And if I recall properly, you only need Launch Control on to launch craft, not to recover them.

I need launch control to recover them.

With it turned off, they just bounce off the flight deck back into space,

and mad at me for following orders and denting their fighter/shuttle. :salute:

I need launch control to recover them.

With it turned off, they just bounce off the flight deck back into space,

and mad at me for following orders and denting their fighter/shuttle. :salute:

Yeah, I was playing a bit at lunch and had the same thing happen.

I DID say "if I recall" and since I'm getting old, I'm covered.

Also, when the intruders get into the shuttles, they load a bunch of your best cargo (weapons, artifacts and other really expensive stuff...) and try to make off with it. Next time intruders get to your shuttles (and are subsequently gunned down by your marines - remember power down launch control) check the cargo loaded into the shuttle the intruder was in... you will be surprised how much they can make off with.

LOL!! Over the years, everytime I read stuff about intruders, it brings me back to times when we used to roll with laughter around here imagining how marines chasing intruders in the ship, round a corner, only to see two misfits lugging a huge reactor between them and trying to make off with it. Ah, good times. :salute:

LOL!! Over the years, everytime I read stuff about intruders, it brings me back to times when we used to roll with laughter around here imagining how marines chasing intruders in the ship, round a corner, only to see two misfits lugging a huge reactor between them and trying to make off with it. Ah, good times. :salute:

I remember those days... or talking about how Resnig would cause more trouble than he fixed. :biggrinsanta:

I remember those days... or talking about how Resnig would cause more trouble than he fixed. :salute:

Yeah, ol' Res' always got a bad rap. Mostly because very few prolly ever took him to a "playable" AI level of above 50. Which takes TIME and GAMEPLAY.

Hell, none of the crew are worth their salt till they reach that level. Once ol' Res' (and everyone else for that matter) get a good footing in AI levels, I have very few problems with him (them).

Still, I guess he makes a good patsy. But, being that the final responsibility falls at the feet of the commander, and they only do what you train them to..if you don't spend the time to train them, what's the bitch? Ultimately, you get what you play for.

Fighter vs Fighter combat

Last I played was ears ago but I did try the SE demo and free version recently:

1. Use windows properties to max your roll speed (possible atleast with ms ff2)

2. Press j for jam incoming missiles

3. Select your target

4. Match speed with m

5. Close with w and s and use q and e to yaw fast if needed

6. Use joystick yaw for precise aiming to kill the target

I got 3 kills (all) in short session in the demo using these tactics. Its not

easy but its definetly possible. Just needs training.

EDIT: My biggest problem in the demo was occasional lag. My pc is E6600/2G/8800GTS but still I couldnt

aim at times due to the lag even if graphs was in low settings. It was only a demo though.

Fighter vs Fighter combat

Last I played was ears ago but I did try the SE demo and free version recently:

1. Use windows properties to max your roll speed (possible atleast with ms ff2)

2. Press j for jam incoming missiles

3. Select your target

4. Match speed with m

5. Close with w and s and use q and e to yaw fast if needed

6. Use joystick yaw for precise aiming to kill the target

I got 3 kills (all) in short session in the demo using these tactics. Its not

easy but its definetly possible. Just needs training.

EDIT: My biggest problem in the demo was occasional lag. My pc is E6600/2G/8800GTS but still I couldnt

aim at times due to the lag even if graphs was in low settings. It was only a demo though.

I fully agree with you, but find mouse aiming far more precise than joystick.

Concerning performance issues, my computer is roughly the same as yours (e4400 instead), and only have performance issue when flying on planets and the HUD is cluttered with targets boxes. My way around is either filtering out targets using the RTM (usually, hiding friendlies helps a lot), either switching to Single Target Tracking mode.

I fully agree with you, but find mouse aiming far more precise than joystick.

Concerning performance issues, my computer is roughly the same as yours (e4400 instead), and only have performance issue when flying on planets and the HUD is cluttered with targets boxes. My way around is either filtering out targets using the RTM (usually, hiding friendlies helps a lot), either switching to Single Target Tracking mode.

Agreed with the mouse controls. When the SC added mouse control in BCM Gold, I started using the mouse and never went back. My Joystick now collects dust.

• 4 weeks later...

My UC:CE arrived a few days ago. The stores around here didn't have it in stock so thank goodness for amazon.com

Now that's it's the weekend I've been reading the manual and am printing out the 97 page game tutorial. Can't wait to fire this up!

Since this is an info and tips topic I thought I'd add the question: what command ship do people seem to prefer? Carrier or Cruiser? If there is already a thread on this topic I apologize and will happily post in there instead (I didn't see one after using the search function)

I see that cruisers carry more fuel and have a smaller profile and look to have more/bigger guns. Is this a personal preference or is there a large advantage to having fighters support your carrier? I've always loved the concept of a powerful cruiser and will probably choose that.

Thanks!

what command ship do people seem to prefer? Carrier or Cruiser?

Well, I like the added fighter support, so I prefer carriers. But like you said, each have their own advantages, and it depends on your play style. I think after you have logged in some good gaming time, and used various types, you'll make a good choice for how you like to play.

Carry on Commander.

After playing through about 2/3 of the 97 page tutorial I'm impressed, wow this game is amazing!

The detail, the depth, the ability to crash my carrier into the ground cuz I'm too busy reading the next step and not watching the screen...

...or that I should not look down while activating my jump jets, I think I scrapped my face off ow!

My next question for this New Player Starter Info topic: Is there a walkthrough or even better a strategy guide out there? I'd like to read players comments on various capital ships, fighters (and prefered loadouts), ground vehicles, marines, and effective ground assault tactics. Yes I understand the mantra "go play and learn" however I'm not asking what a transporter does or how to land (safely?) on a planet.

Thanks!

Well I thought the Hints and Tips section was mostly empty until I noticed a little toggle option on the bottom right and chose (all) instead of (last 90 days) and *poof* yep lots of awesome information.

Some of you expert UC Forum people must sigh alot with us rookies asking the same questions over again so thanks for suggesting that I go look there, I'm glad I looked a second time.

I've been reading in that forum and found some fascinating nuggents of information, I'm learning alot of things to not try or just plain avoid. It's nice to know I'm not the only New Commander to crash his CC into the ground in the first few days.

Some of the info in that area is from a year or more ago, is it ok to post further questions in old (but I believe relevant) topics or should I start a 'new' topic?

Did I read correctly in that forum area that it's not possible to use artifacts on the Stormcarrier? Not that I'll be finding artifacts anytime soon I just think this carrier is awesome.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, jsite73!

Some of you expert UC Forum people must sigh alot with us rookies asking the same questions over again

Yes, I'm sure several of us have. If only people would use the search feature first...... :)

It's nice to know I'm not the only New Commander to crash his CC into the ground in the first few days.

And you won't be the last! :D

Some of the info in that area is from a year or more ago, is it ok to post further questions in old (but I believe relevant) topics or should I start a 'new' topic?

Because we like to keep the forum neat, organized and uncluttered, it would be better for you to post your further questions in the relevant thread where it was initially discussed.

-Sho