GALACTIC COMMAND - KNIGHTBLADE ANNOUNCED!

Supreme Cmdr

I'm not sure what the rules are here, regarding the revival of older topics, but this is the only place I could find that seems appropriate for this post.

I've just got to applaud the work that's been shown so far in the development stages of this game. Reading your posts, and viewing the available screenshots make me believe this is the game I've been waiting for. I know it's probably quite a bit early in the production stage to ask this, but have you considered how much effort will be put into making the game moddable? I know one thing that makes games more enjoyable to me is the ability to add custom content that suits me (user made ships, weapons, player models, etc.). If that kind of thing is included in this game, you've made me a guaranteed happy customer.

Also, do you have any idea how the multiplayer will be fleshed out, or how extensive it will be in comparison to the single-player? Some friends of mine and myself like to get together and perform in-character role-plays in certain games, using an existing story, or one created by us as a base. I'd consider the multiplayer expansiveness an important part, in that respect.

Thanks.

Due to their design structure and the post-release work involved, our games are not mod friendly. Never have been. I have no intentions of going that route either because we just don't have the time or resources to make such an effort even worthy of the time spent.

Given the design of KnightBlade, there is a good chance that it will not support multiplayer.

Its an insurmountable task to do multiplayer for a game in which you don't even control the carrier - and which just happens to be your home base. You only play as either a pilot or combat marine.

Also, the only possible multiplayer option would be 2 or 4 -player co-op. Thats not even possible at this point in time; though that may change in the future and thus be the only viable multiplayer option there is.

Anyway, due to unforeseen circumstances and priorities, this game is not due out until Q1/2010 anyway, a lot can change between now and then.

• 2 months later...

It might be interesting to have a multiplayer mode where one team is marines on the ship and the other team is an invading force of Insurgents trying to blow the ship up or kill the commnder or free a prisoner ect, standard FPS fair set on the knight blade, or on planet maps featured in the game itself, that is the only thing I could think of. But multplayer isn't really needed if you ask me, when you can focus all your attention on the single player portion and rival a game like Halo with this idea. Who needs master chief when you can be a marine :)

I was wondering, it may be a bit early to ask this of course, but is it all going to be episode / mission based or will there be portions that could be different every time? I know you may not be able to answer that at this point and I respect that. Either way I'm looking forward to this game :grouphug:

That looks great news, however, I've been away for a while and I've noticed changes regarding talon elite. Is the PC version discontinued/renamed/modified? Wasn't talon supposed to be the sequel of echo?

Sorry I'm confused LOL

On a side note, I just bought echo and also downloaded the addy content.

Well, from what I can gather Echosquad is going to be in episodes. He made it for gametap and they decided not to release it, why not I don't know considering they have a TON of crap on there and adding something to it couldn't possible hurt it any more than it already is hurting ^_^ It would just give people something interesting to play. any how . . . Echosquad SE ( think it is called ) is like a sequel to a game that was never released and it already has a DLC as you know. Galcom Excalibur was suposed to be the Xbox 360 version so I'm guessing Talon Elite is just the new name for it. Before you ask Galcom Bravo Team is on ice at the moment (at least the last I read about it) as SC doesn't want to do FPS titles because their are a billion of them right now and GCO (Galatic Command Online) is still coming I believe.

If you want to know more about all these read the dev logs , they are pretty interesting even though they've havn't really been updated in a while. Personally I can't wait for this game (Knight Blade) I hope they do it along the lines of Star Wars Republic Commando for the marine part, I thought that game was VERY well done. SC said he wants it to be like COD4 too , at least in so far as you switch between two people. I just can't wait until I get to see the inside of a battle cruiser finally ! :D My imagination is pretty good though so I hope it lives up to what I see in my mind already.

Some clarification

1. GALCOM-Talon Elite was to be the name of the XB360 version of Echo Squad SE. That game has been canned due to the fact that (i) you need a publisher in order to release a game on any console (ii) publishers don't want to waste resources on space games (iii) Though you don't need a publisher for XBLA, like most devs, I have lost patience with that MS group. Apart from the fact that MS, unlike Sony's PSN, aren't exactly on the ball when it comes to releasing hard core games on there. Regardless of what you read, getting a game on XBLA is far more trouble than its worth. Plus, the game can't be more than 1600 MS points, which is about $19. Hence the reason you see the current crop of XBLA games. And that whole XNA rubbish is only going to make things worse.

2 GALCOM-Echo Squad SE episodes (three) are not yet released because the slow sales of the game haven't given me a compelling reason to finish and test them tbh.

3. GALCOM-Bravo Team was the name of the fps focused game that I wanted to do as a companion title follow-up to Echo Squad SE.

4. KnightBlade is our next game after the TOP SEKRET one we're working on for release in 2009. Should be out sometime in late 2010.

5. Galactic Command Online, the MMO game, is definitely still very much in my long term plan to keep our section of the space sim genre alive. Unlike other money wasting efforts, our plan is a streamlined one (like Eve Online) which doesn't require millions of players in order to be a success. For that reason, much like how Eve caters - unapologetically to its core fan base - GCO will cater to our Battlecruiser/Universal Combat core fan base as well. All others need not apply.

6. I have scrapped all plans to do another next-gen Battlecruiser game (as I had planned) due to the dismal state of the genre and the increasing costs of game development. Heck, I was even going to upgrade UCCE to the Echo Squad SE graphics and assets and release it for free but decided against it given what it would cost to do and the cost benefits involved.

I haven't done a new dev blog update because, well, apart from being ultra busy, I haven't had anything interesting to write about. I will however do one in a few weeks in which I will discuss a bunch of things, including what we're working on etc.

This secret thing is driving me nuts trying to figure out what it could be :P I just hope it is a success for you after the slow sales of ES. I think the fact that 3000AD is still around after all these years shows your staying power and ability to balance the books and make the hard choices that have to be made in order to keep the company alive. So many other major devs have gone under even with giant publishers backing them up but 3000AD is still around after all these years and all the unfair reviews and sniping. Still can't undertand why they have idiots review your games, it would be like having a red neck from the hills do a taste testing for caviar. At any rate I'm glad you're still around and can't wait to play knight blade. currently I'm trying to track down a copy of UC : CE locally so I can pay for it in cash ;) I wants that box and I don't currently have a credit card or debit card to buy it offline lol.

This secret thing is driving me nuts trying to figure out what it could be :P I just hope it is a success for you after the slow sales of ES. I think the fact that 3000AD is still around after all these years shows your staying power and ability to balance the books and make the hard choices that have to be made in order to keep the company alive. So many other major devs have gone under even with giant publishers backing them up but 3000AD is still around after all these years and all the unfair reviews and sniping. Still can't undertand why they have idiots review your games, it would be like having a red neck from the hills do a taste testing for caviar. At any rate I'm glad you're still around and can't wait to play knight blade. currently I'm trying to track down a copy of UC : CE locally so I can pay for it in cash ;) I wants that box and I don't currently have a credit card or debit card to buy it offline lol.

BMT Micro has boxed copies of UCCE for sale. And they accept all crazy forms of payment I think. Check out sales page for the direct link.

BMT Micro has boxed copies of UCCE for sale. And they accept all crazy forms of payment I think. Check out sales page for the direct link.

I noticed that along with the nice poster you may or may not get if they're sold out of them or what not. I don't get how you can pay by Fax , it would be nice if they explained what their payment options mean I've never heard of Switch/solo lol. Any how back on topic is Knight Blade going to be more like Halo in FPS mode or more like Republic Commando where you're in command of a squad and have to work together (halo being a situation where you're a one man army capable of massive death tolls on your own)

-edit- Well I just ordered UC-CE through mail. It gave me an order form I can print out and send to them, aparently with cash even (that sounds like a bad idea lol) I'm probably going to get a money order and send it that way -dances- can't wait to get this game in the mail lol. Wish me luck, hopefully they still have those awsome posters for my bedroom wall, I feel like I'm 16 again waiting for crap to come through the mail. I think the last time I ordered something like this was when I baught some lego pieces through the mail lol

• 2 months later...