Protecting your computer

what do you use to protect your computer while you are connected?

right now I use, avast Home 4.8 and trojan hunter.

I may get a squared anti malware.

Ive come to realise I've never got a virus since Avast, and never had much problems with viruses, but trojans on the other hand. By my own fault a trojan got hold of my computer and hijacked everything conceivable to use of a computer.

I managed to get most if not all cleaned. But its awakened me to the need of anti trojan or anti-malware programs that should be just as important and competitve and touted as neccessary as having an anti virus.

with avast on high settings and with heuristics, the behaviour blocker can block trojans, but it also prompts when you do normal stuff too much.3

so what do you use??

i tried and found threat fire to be too retarded.

trojan hunter seems pretty good, i removed it and use a squared anti malware now.

stops the tracking cookies before they get in..which is what i always wondered, isnt that what windows defender supposed to do...

Same here, but I use the AVG paid version. I used to also use Threatfire but stopped using it when I discovered that enabled or not, it was preventing some of my Firefox3 plugins from installing. It took me

awhile to figure it out. But once I did, rather than piss around, I just un-installed it and moved on.

I use

-Windows defender

-Windows firewall

-Norton anti-virus

-McAfee

-Trojan hunter

-avast

And i just found a trojan and cleaned it with Trojan Hunter :(

Thanks for the Protection Cruis :)

Thats just overkill, a waste of system resources and paranoia. Frankly, I don't even believe that you are dumb enough to be using NAV + McAfee + Avast. Did you write that with a straight face?

You only need ONE of each program. If you need Trojan Hunter to remove a trojan then (1) you're patently careless/irresponsible in your web surfing, downloading etc (2) are using the wrong programs to begin with.

If you are using NAV, you have NO use for Windows Defender, McAfee, Avast and Trojan Hunter. Sheesh. Does your system even run?

If you're that paranoid, you should stick with Windows Firewall + NAV + Spybot Search & Destroy /w Teatimer enabled + Threatfire

Same here, but I use the AVG paid version. I used to also use Threatfire but stopped using it when I discovered that enabled or not, it was preventing some of my Firefox3 plugins from installing. It took me

awhile to figure it out. But once I did, rather than piss around, I just un-installed it and moved on.

Thats just overkill, a waste of system resources and paranoia. Frankly, I don't even believe that you are dumb enough to be using NAV + McAfee + Avast. Did you write that with a straight face?

You only need ONE of each program. If you need Trojan Hunter to remove a trojan then (1) you're patently careless/irresponsible in your web surfing, downloading etc (2) are using the wrong programs to begin with.

If you are using NAV, you have NO use for Windows Defender, McAfee, Avast and Trojan Hunter. Sheesh. Does your system even run?

If you're that paranoid, you should stick with Windows Firewall + NAV + Spybot Search & Destroy /w Teatimer enabled + Threatfire

trojan hunter seems pretty good, i removed it and use a squared anti malware now.

stops the tracking cookies before they get in..which is what i always wondered, isnt that what windows defender supposed to do...

No, Windows Defender doesn't do anything with cookies. For that you need Spybot, Threatfire, AVG8 etc - programs that lockdown your browser.

The hell? My system does run! I uninstalled McAfee a long time ago, i dont even know if windows defender is ever on and i just installed trojan hunter and avast.

And i hope you noticed SC but NAV doesnt really do anything. Its probably the worst protection system out there, it cant even block tracking cookies, let alone a trojan.

And SC dont critizize me for what i use or what i do in the first place. That trojan was adware, so i bet i didnt even download it, it probabaly attached to one of my hp downloads.

And how would u know if it slows my system down? The only thing that would is McAfee, and we both know, that is just a waste of money, my mother installed NAV and McAfee.

Try getting Trend Micro, i hear good things :(

The hell? My system does run! I uninstalled McAfee a long time ago, i dont even know if windows defender is ever on and i just installed trojan hunter and avast.

And i hope you noticed SC but NAV doesnt really do anything. Its probably the worst protection system out there, it cant even block tracking cookies, let alone a trojan.

And SC dont critizize me for what i use or what i do in the first place. That trojan was adware, so i bet i didnt even download it, it probabaly attached to one of my hp downloads.

And how would u know if it slows my system down? The only thing that would is McAfee, and we both know, that is just a waste of money, my mother installed NAV and McAfee.

Try getting Trend Micro, i hear good things :(

You clearly don't know anything about protecting your computer, nor what all those programs do. I'm not criticizing you, I'm point out your follies. If you didn't want to participate, you shouldn't have

posted in the thread.

Here is what you said:

I use

-Windows defender

-Windows firewall

-Norton anti-virus

-McAfee

-Trojan hunter

-avast

Why would ANYONE install both McAfee and NAV? Plus Avast?

All those programs do pretty much the same darn thing, but they do it using different methods.

Yet, with all that, you still ended up with a trojan?!?!

For good measure, you might as well throw in NOD, KAV, AVG8 and ThreatFire. Its the only way to be sure.

Strange enough I don't use anything to protect my computer (nah, nothing) and usually never have any problem.

I had some big virus troubles back in the past, even though I was using an antivirus and a firewall.

Then I found out that the best way to protect my computer was simply to be really carefull.

Oh, well, I guess using some protection tools wouldn't do much harm, but I'm not in the mood of adding more stress to the processor.

enjoy having your info all over the net...

no wonder you people get your identities stolen so easily. you make it easy for people.

its like a house, oh i never had trouble.....might as well get rid of your locks and burgular bars too then.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Avast 4.8, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Sygate Personal Firewall. Not a problem so far. (Or I could use my old Amiga 1200, to log in, and never use a anti virus program. Just a thought really. Never done it. But I could try it, for the fun of it)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use :

Avast 4.8 Professional

Windows defender

Windows Firewall

I' behind router (NAT)

For semi-manual malware and rootkit scanning I use gmer (doesn't run at 64-bit windows, so i use it ony at my second pc), Ice sword (the same problem as gmer), Sysinternals Autoruns, Process Explorer, Rootkit revealer.

Sometimes when I suspect deep hidden rootkit I use bootable cd with AVIRA to scan system disc without running possibly infected OS.

And what most important I DO NOT USE PIRATE SOFTWARE. That makes maintaing security of my PCs a lot easier.

If you are using Avast Pro, there is no need for Defender.

Yeah agreed. I've got Defender disabled.

I think we probably all would leave Windows Firewall ON (unless 3rd party Firewall turns it off), and most of us are broadband with NAT I would say.

I keep NOD 32 V.4 as antivirus, PC Tool Firewall, AdAware all time active and SpyBoot for scans just to be able to have a backup. Tea Timer active only when there is risk.