I have quite an issue with UC:AWA. And I am 100% positive it is not a problem with my computer, because I can replicate it on another computer with a completely different set-up (i.e., different version of windows, graphics card, drivers, etc.).

I configure the game's options (to their max settings, given the system which I include details of below) and start the game. I can play with no issues, no problem. But eventually, life needs to be attended to, and I quit the game. Firing it back up, I find that I cannot enter first-person mode, either through exiting a ship or starting a first-person mission. The game crashes to the desktop each and every time I try. The only rectification for this is to delete my ucconfig file in the game directory, restart the game, and re-configure the graphics options. I believe the problem could be with DXT Compressed Textures or Optimized Models, and I have tried every combination of these options (with quitting and going back in so they take effect) with no result other than CTD when I attempt to enter first person mode.

It's gotten so bad that I deleted the UC icon from my desktop and replaced it with a folder shortcut to the game directory so that I never forget to delete ucconfig before starting the game. But seriously, that's not acceptable. The same thing occured on a previous install on a different computer. My drivers for EVERYTHING are up-to-date.

My computers:

Dual-Core XPS 1730 @ 2.5Ghz

2 x 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX GPUs in SLI (that is, the best mobile GPU currently on the market, and I have two of them)

4 GB Dual-channel RAM

AGEIA PhysX 100M Processor

XP SP2 (it said it came with 3!)

Single-Core Inspiron 5160 Pentium 4 @3.06Ghz

64MB Geforce Go5200

512 MB RAM

XP SP2

>>>>Note that the game was virtually unplayable on this computer a few years back, and when I tried to get support for my issues, I was treated EXTREMELY rudely by some members on the old forums (including people that I believe were employees of 3000AD at the time), and gave up. I have since got it working on this one.

Please help with this issue.

the problem could be with DXT Compressed Textures or Optimized Models, and I have tried every combination of these options

uhm, so don't use them? There's a reason why you have the option to turn them on or off.

And if you have to delete the config file to play a game, that there tells you that whatever config option you were messing with, is not compatible with your system. When in doubt, don't mess with the default settings.

You've seen my system. Something about running the game at the default 800x600 screen resolution just doesn't sit right with me.

I stopped touching the DXT/Optimized Models options and left those as a default, but the problem persists. And, as I said, I have tried OFF/OFF ON/ON OFF/ON and ON/OFF combinations of these settings and restarted (as it states in the manual I must do for these options). So I don't know whether or not it's related to these options, I just thoerized that because the problem occurs ONLY after running the game after the first time--and those two settings should be the only ones that apply non-immediately, according to the manual. I'm not sure which, if any, of the options are doing that.

But yeah, having to delete the config file and re-configuring every time is a pain. I can't think of any reason why that'd be happening, though, it shouldn't.

Changing the resolution has no effect on the symptoms you are describing and it certainly has nothing to do with your ability to play the game. From what you describe, you have something else going on. Checking the FAQ would be a good start.

Also, given that the game is three years old, you're going to have to figure out whats going on with your system and fix it. Nothing we can do about that.

I realize that yours is a relatively small operation, and that you have a lot of other things to work on, but two-and-a-half years is a very short support lifetime. Especially given that you still support UWA:SE and UWA:CE, which, while there have been tweaks and improvements, are still based on fundamentally the same coding (and likely would have similar issues).

I just used the resolution example as a reason why I wouldn't necessarily want to keep the game at default settings. But I think the fact that I've replicated the problem on another system means that it's not a problem with my system. The first thing I did was read the FAQ, and did everything it suggested--updated drivers, and so on.

Incidentally,

you're going to have to figure out whats going on with your system and fix it. Nothing we can do about that.
was about the same response I got on the old forums over two years ago, when the game was new.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything.

The fact that in the entire history of UCAWA (even UC) you're the only one with this problem, means that its on your end. These forums go back to the days of BCM and no matter how far back you search, you won't find any such issue.

And the assumption that what you are experiencing in UCAWA Is in UCSE and UCCE is just plain foolish. Quite clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Not to mention the fact that their is a demo for UCSE.

I isolated the problem by changing one setting at a time, loading up a ground combat mission, quitting, and repeating about 10 or 15 time. Something to do with antialiasing, I think; my workaround was not enabling it in the game options and then turning it on through the NVIDIA Control Panel.

I didn't say that the problem is in CE or SE, just that it is likely that the games (because they share a common code) and would likely have similar issues. I don't want to argue with you: I have an incredible amount of respect for you and the work that you do, and consider UC (which I also own) and AWA extremely fine examples of simulation gaming.

I share your regret that the gaming industry is moving in a different direction, and would love to see more games of the BC/UC type. Personally, I put you in a league of developers--such as Will Wright, Sid Meiers, and Rick Goodman--who have been pioneers in the industry, developing unique, creative, and enjoyable games.

Looks like you figured it out. As with all games, no matter how great a gaming rig is, there will always be a piece of technology that will work differently. AA is disabled by default. You have the choice to either use the game's implementation or the video driver's. Obviously in your rig, the video driver is preferable.

* thread subject modified *