Star Trek Online

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw this, this morning when i woke up, funny enough on the off topic eve online forums.

the graphics look like pre 2000, maybe its just there artistic choices, colors etc and nothing to do with the technical capability of the engine, but its an awful choice and not star trekish at all...

eve classic graphics look better.

i dont have much hope this game will be fun in any way, but ill give it a whirl when it comes in 2011 :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't seen much chatter from you guys about this. I take it nobody is as excited about it as? A new gameplay trailer is up. I have to tell you, while it looks like Cryptic's other games, I can't help but wonder how this will turn out. I mean, as bad as SWG is/was, its still going and I suspect that STO will suffer the same fate in that a bunch of Trekkies - with no choice - will stick with it regardless of how good or bad it is since there is no alternative.

I'm going to check it out during the free trial (if there is one) because I'm curious.

I've never been a trekkie myself, though I enjoy the occasional show or movie, and to some extend some of the games. Now, I'm keeping a loose eye on STO, I may try it just like any other space MMO, but I don't expect much.

mean, as bad as SWG is/was, its still going and I suspect that STO will suffer the same fate

well if it follows the same line as SWG, I'd hazard a guess a conversation similar to what I had with my friend while he was playing SWG would happen (converted from the original womp rat):

Look, there's a tribble. Do you think I can kill it?

Me: Sure, they can't be that tough.

Aaron, the tribble is killing me. I'm being killed by a tribble.

Me: run away.

I"M TRYING!!!! ... Oh crap.

me: *laugning* what?

I just ran over a hill into a giant tribble... he killed me.

me: oh.

Yes, I was just killed by a giant tribble.

well if it follows the same line as SWG, I'd hazard a guess a conversation similar to what I had with my friend while he was playing SWG would happen (converted from the original womp rat):

Look, there's a tribble. Do you think I can kill it?

Me: Sure, they can't be that tough.

Aaron, the tribble is killing me. I'm being killed by a tribble.

Me: run away.

I"M TRYING!!!! ... Oh crap.

me: *laugning* what?

I just ran over a hill into a giant tribble... he killed me.

me: oh.

Yes, I was just killed by a giant tribble.

Wot? You went after a Tribble without a sack of poisoned Quatatritacali!!!??? :salute2:

Saw this on another forum

Yeah, and the Beta for today (2 hour window) just ended.

Honestly, the space combat is beautiful, and enjoyable but sadly not as deep as Bridge Commander Starfleet/Klingon Academy, but not as shallow as Star Trek Legacy, and not as a clusterfuck of the Star Fleet Command games.

Kitbashing your starship is quite interesting in getting the 'look and feel' of YOUR starship, but sadly from the 1 ship class I have played with (Miranda type, Reliant Star Trek II) I haven't even gotten a chance to really dig into it or the ranking system.

Right now they are testing out a 'auto group' thing for the first 2 'out in space' noob missions/quests that I didn't experience the first time I got to play and I hate it. Star Trek was always about THE Captain, THE SHIP, and THE CREW, not everyone else's. I want to group when I want to, not be auto grouped into stuff, simular to the Monster Island Crisis and Lemuria Crisis zones in Champions Online.

Hopefully they will take it out.

Ground Combat... honestly I haven't done alot of it, but so far it's pretty typical MMO fare. Real Time turned based combat ala EQ/WoW/etc, and it just doesn't fit well with Trek. I'd much rather have Elite Forces 2 type 3rd person real time combat, even if it is nerfed for idiots then the combat system that is in pretty much every other MMO out there.

Near the end tonight a bunch of player (roughly) 30 went to a local 'pocket of baddies' (happened to be Klingons) and just tore through the entire sector. It wasn't as graceful as say the last 2 seasons of DS9, or First Contact's Borg space combat scene but it was alot of fun, and tactics and power settings/officer abilities were useful and enjoyable.

As the game stands now with 2 hours a day, with 2 days a week testing schedule, I just don't see how they could even possibly ship this game in Feb.

The space combat part is for the most part done and just needs some UI tweaking, and it's good to go except for content.

The ground combat game... honestly I would be very happy with a 90% space game and a 10% ground game except maybe to interact with other players, upgrade your ships etc.

Also forgot to mention something that is really nice is a huge overview map (think Metaverse from Starfleet Command minus the hexus and one giant map) that allows you to go from sector to sector (where the planets/space stations/asteroid belts/etc are), and from that you can see other players ships, where pockets of baddies are (like the klingon baddies we attacked earlier), and is simular to the overview map in say Baulder's Gate where you can rest and see where you need to go and find friends/other players etc.

Explains how the instancing works. Yes. Its WoW in space and on ground. Pretty much.

And got an e-mail yesterday :

Coming February, 2010

Greetings Captain!

We at Cryptic Studios just wanted to share the good news with you: Star Trek Online has an official release date!

You can begin boldly going where no one has gone before on February 2, 2010, in North America, and February 5, 2010, in Europe.

Be sure to drop by www.StarTrekOnline.com for more information, and for the latest Star Trek Online updates from across the universe.

Thanks, and weÆll see you soon!

- The Star Trek Online Team

Martin

• 1 month later...
I applied but didn't get in. I got access to second-hand impressions though. :P

I can promise now, Derek's going to enjoy tearing it to pieces. :)

nah, I'm just hoping they don't ruin it. But since it is instanced, I can't see how much fun that could possibly be.

I'm in the beta (heart Fileplanet). It's good, not great but good. Personally im a little underwhelmed by the away missions, rather boring to me. However the space combat and "exploration" is great. I'm still fresh from the tutorial, so my opinion might change as things go on.

I checked out the beta offer and walked away from it, due to TTH's Fort Knox style sign up procedure.

My god!!!! their password requirements are rediculous. Bank websites don't require that level of pass word protection. I wish them luck. They're going to need it with all of the peeps suffering from Short Attention Span.... I'll do something else.

I've heard this from a friend of mine in the Beta

Been playing open beta for a day. It's nice. The missions are far more fun than WoW as the travel time between missions is not so bad. The controls are pretty good and easy to learn.

There are still some bugs for sure (Beta, eh?) but they seem to be fixing it quickly. When I submitted two tickets for bugs within 4 hours there were 7500 tickets between those two times. I'd hate to be that bug analyzer dude :-)

Still, the universe is fairly flat and it is hard to travel in three dimensions. Basically, there is a floor and a ceiling in space combat. The combat scenes in space basically revolve around the usual approach to range and orbit (since there is no up and down) type of thing. Nothing new there. Four quadrants for shields and you just spread the load between the shields for defense, punch through just one for offense. That's it for strategy.

Ground combat is very similar to WoW but with phasers. Keep mashing buttons and selecting targets. No real physics involved. Even WWII online has more physics (although the devs really screw around with that occasionally making indestructible tanks).