Star Trek Online

My god!!!! their password requirements are rediculous. Bank websites don't require that level of pass word protection. I wish them luck. They're going to need it with all of the peeps suffering from Short Attention Span.... I'll do something else.

That's what a password generator is for :)

Anywho.

Played the beta last night with another guild I'm in, had a lot of fun - when the servers weren't crashing left and right. Ahh, but that is beta yes? Seem's a lot of kids in this generation do NOT understand what 'beta' means, I found a lot of players ingame who were moaning about the constant server crashs, not to mention the posts on the main board inquiring the same thing.

It just scares me that this new generation of gamers do not seem to understand that when you apply and are accepted into a beta test, you are there to TEST the product and find bugs, you really don't have any right to complain about the bugs you find or the servers that are crashing since that is YOUR JOB.

Ughs... either way. Despite all of that, the game is very fun, and I can foresee myself playing this one at least until SW-ToR comes out, provided nothing changes my mind on that game.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying the beta for the past two nights. It seems okay, but there still seems to be a lot to be done with it (fixing bugs, etc) before it launches soon. I can't help but to think that Cryptic may launch it too soon though.

-Sho

What makes it suck Wolferz? :)

You could never make startrek into a perfect MMO without investing like a billion dollars into it. Even then, they would have to change things about star trek, that they cant change now, since the original series already exists.

It just doesnt seem suitable.

What makes it suck Wolferz? :)

There are dozens of FPS games out there and I can't see wasting my cash just so I can shoot Borg drones with a phaser pistol. The graphics looked terrible but that is probably due to the conversion to MPEG in the videos. I'll have to save judgement on the graphics until it's released.

I have been a fan of the Star Trek series since it's inception and I consider this game to be a major rape of the franchise.

As of now, there is only one space combat MMO that I'm looking forward to... GCO. I know for a fact that Derek will get it right.

If this was the only space combat game out there, I would get me a Photon revolver and play Klingon Roulette and maybe illuminate my mind. :)

just played a few hours, its just a typical themepark mmo (STO as a sandbox, hmm, its just a dream).

btw its mechanics just the same as it was in Pirates of The Burning Seas (i mean the zoning and the space maps), a few beta testers called it Pirates of The Burning Space, guess why :)

GCO will be my space MMO (cant wait, cant wait, caaaaaant waaaaaait), and maybe Infinity, if it will be ready sometime.

So did anyone get in on the Beta?

I managed to get in. I like it... its definitely got some flaws, but overall I like it. It is definitely a MMO, especially where ground combat is involved, however I don't agree with people who are saying its like WoW. I confess I played WoW for about 3 years and finally left because everything got easier, and easier, and easier. STO right now feels like your standard MMO with away missions, and kind of a space combat game lite for the space missions. I kind of expected to be similar to Legacy since I know they were trying to make it accessible to as many people (read, customers) as possible, and I think they surprised me a little by actually making it slightly more complex, and better, than Legacy's combat system. I think I share the same feelings as everyone here that it would have been spectacular to have Klingon Academy style space combat, but I also know when a company like Cryptic is trying to get as many people as possible involved, they're not going to make something that would be niche. (Which, really is kind of sad, but the damn kids these days don't know what games should be like.)

Things I like so far: Space Combat is fun, the interface is rather minimalist (shows you just what you need to know), and I feel like a general Bajoran bada** most of the time. :)

Thinks I'm not liking: Feels buggier than a beta product should be and how too many things are instanced. I want to stress the "buggier than a beta product should be" bit. In my professional experience beta tests are usually metered pretty strictly and we've managed to take down the login servers at least once every night since they started the test last week. Its pretty apparent that they do NOT have the infrastructure yet for a full launch, but I realize that's also a nasty habit that a lot of the MMO publishers have. You're wise to wait 6 months SC.

Bottom line is that if you're expecting a MMO-sim you're not going to find it here, but if you want a fun Star Trek MMO to play with friends, I think they've delivered pretty well. The game, even with its bugs, is just plain fun. I haven't had to grind yet which is just spectacular since I cannot stand grinding.

I've been trying the beta for the past two nights. It seems okay, but there still seems to be a lot to be done with it (fixing bugs, etc) before it launches soon. I can't help but to think that Cryptic may launch it too soon though.

-Sho

Hit me up Sho. My Primary character's name is Weegee.

while it isn;t exactly 'fair' to review a games beta. In 6 days time STO launches and the game design cannot change and enough can be seen of it to see the flaws behind it.

I digress...

http://www.yougamers.com/previews/27017_st...ine_first_look/

an unprofessional article which has all valid points (doesn't miss much) on why STO is pretty terrible.

unprofessional because the writer gets too personal.

but I forgive him, if someone took my beloved franchise and shit on it like cryptic id be mad too...

and shit on my franchise they did.

cryptic developed champions sto and an unnamed MMO all at the same time. I hope they go bankrupt and just die for this.

STO will still be my bread and butter, at least until BP comes out, provided GCO doesn't come out before it. The fact is; I dunno 'what' I'll do once GCO comes out. It's still a year away, and a lot can change in one year.

The fact is; I dunno 'what' I'll do once GCO comes out. It's still a year away, and a lot can change in one year.

...all I can say is that you're in for a shock - and pretty soon too. :)

That just drives my excitement; I look forward to it SC ;)

LOL! BOSS, you freaked my FL......

im hoping things are progressing fast and this means a release date or beta sooner than expected.

I'd rather Derek take his time, than to do what most companies do and speed on through development.

an unprofessional article which has all valid points (doesn't miss much) on why STO is pretty terrible.

I don't think I really agree with this article at all. Honestly, most of the people I've heard complaining about the gameplay are either the "Its not WoW or Aion" crowd or the "Its not a Simulation" crowd. Essentially, its not what a lot of people were expecting. I think once the dust settles many people are going to revisit it and realize its actually a good, fun game.

It is in no way a perfect game, but its not bad either. Its extremely fun, especially once you get your first ship. Plus the space-combat is way more strategic than it could have been. Its not Starfleet Command but its a heck of a lot better than point click shoot; it could have ended up as WoW in space and that would have been bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Its rubbish.

You know, right after I posted, I saw a video review of it on Voodoo Extreme that more or less said the same thing.

When I tried the beta, I initially thought hey, this is kinda cool. But after playing it for several hours more, I just couldn't get into it. It didn't seem to have very much depth to it and became fairly repetitious after a while. I hate to say it, but WoW kept me more interested.

-Sho