Game Features

Dragon

I have, by chance, found out about 3000AD's games and as a big fan of space games, gained interest in the games straight away, I don't know how I have missed it all these years, thanks for the contribution to the space sim genre.

I enjoyed playing games like Egosoft's X-series, Freelancer, Darkstar One and the list goes on and on but, I am not here to compare these games as I believe they are all unique in their own way. I am planning to play 3000AD's games from the beginning, start from Battlecruiser and work my way up to Galactic Command. Many of the game features sounds like something never experienced before, what I would like to know is if there are any means of freeroam in Echo Squad or any of the others, the ability to roam around freely and explore the galaxy and/or planets. Another thing that I woud like to know is if players can enter a planet's atmosphere in multiplayer games.

I have, by chance, found out about 3000AD's games

Where?

and as a big fan of space games

Really? And after about 12+ years and ten titles, you've only heard of these games, now? :D

I am planning to play 3000AD's games from the beginning, start from Battlecruiser and work my way up to Galactic Command.

That would be a waste of time - and money.

The Battlecruiser series evolved into the Universal Combat series in 2004. For this hardcore series, your jumping point should be the latest game, Universal Combat CE. You can try the Special Edition demo.

The Galactic Command series is more combat action and nowhere near as complex as the BC/UC series. So, we're talking about two distinct style of games. You might want to

try the demo.

Many of the game features sounds like something never experienced before, what I would like to know is if there are any means of freeroam in Echo Squad or any of the others, the ability to roam around freely and explore the galaxy and/or planets.

No. Its a different type of game. Roaming such a huge galaxy in a fighter is nigh impossible due to the fact that, well, you'd just die a lot and there's nothing to do in a fighter.

Another thing that I woud like to know is if players can enter a planet's atmosphere in multiplayer games.

Yes.

First of all, sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Why did I not find out about 3000AD earlier? I have very limited internet access or none at all until now so there are many games in the world that I did not know of, in my country, internet is the only source of information about games. I came across 3000AD's website when I was looking for a space game I have never played before. Other space sims I mentioned (X-series, Freelancer) I also found purely by chance.

Why do I want to play 3000AD's games from the beginning? I live in southern Africa and due to the deteriorating situation here, decent games are hard to find, 3000AD's games were never sold here and I doubt that it will ever be. The older versions of 3000AD's games are available for free download (thanks very much for your generosity) so I can still play some of the games. I do not have a credit card so I cannot buy it online either but, I can come up with a plan if I really want the newer versions.

While I do not like mission/storyline restrictions in space sims and/or RPG's and believe that a player should have some form of freedom, 3000AD's games still interests me, especially the multiplayer, and I will still look for the new versions.

name='Dragon' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:24 AM' post='169350']

While I do not like mission/storyline restrictions in space sims and/or RPG's and believe that a player should have some form of freedom, 3000AD's games still interests me, especially the multiplayer, and I will still look for the new versions.

Sounds like you may have misunderstood the SC (I could be wrong). In Echo Squad you don't have the ability to roam, but in BCM, UC, UCG, UCAWA, UCSE, and UCCE you have a roam mode along with the compaign and instant action modes. This roam mode puts you into space with a ship, a crew, a few supplies, and basically lets you explore the universe to your hearts contents. If you want to be in the military and protect the universe you can fight battles in space or send you and/or your marines down to the planet for ground ops using the transporter and/or shuttles, all the while having your fighters backing up the troops from the air. If obeying the law really isn't your thing, you can be a pirate and attack ships for their cargo.

If you crave freedom to do what you want give BCM, UC, UCG, UCAWA, UCSE, and/or UCCE a try.

(p.s. watch out for intruders on your ship :D )

Yes, I downloaded BCM yesterday and played it last night (CAT). I really enjoyed it, it was very difficult getting up for work this morning as I was up all night playing it. I have two profiles, one for roam, for when I want to explore and defend our assets in my own way, and another profile on which I play the campaign where I can get knowledge on all the inhabatants of the universe and their capabilities. On both profiles I play as a Terran military commander. As for intruders on my ship, my marines are quite effecient at preventing them from stealing my support crafts... for the time being at least, as long as I keep my CC moving, I do not get many intruders.

While I enjoy roaming freely, I am still looking for Echo Squad, the trouble is, none of the few game retailers here even know of it! not even the Universal Combat series that I am also looking for. It is sad that the greatest games are always the hardest to find in my country. If I can get proper internet download rates, I will just use my sister's credit card and buy it online. (It took me from 9:30 am to 16:00 pm to download BCM.)

As the SC said, you should give UC:CE a try.

Basically, it's UC with far better graphics, far more stable (oh well, I said it!), and most of all, with ALL compaigns and scenarios any BC and UC game ever featured. That's it, nothing less.

UC:CE is basically the best BC/UC game, as SC said, it would be a waste of time to try the other titles.

As the SC said, you should give UC:CE a try.

Basically, it's UC with far better graphics, far more stable (oh well, I said it!), and most of all, with ALL compaigns and scenarios any BC and UC game ever featured. That's it, nothing less.

UC:CE is basically the best BC/UC game, as SC said, it would be a waste of time to try the other titles.

Problem with that is he can't purchase it. So he has no choice but to play the free games or the demos. There is a UCSE demo I believe.

I have downloaded UC v.2.00.31 and had time over the weekend to really get into the game, the result was, most other space sims is now obsolete to me. I am really looking forward to getting hold of and playing UC:CE.

I have started a mining operation on Mercury for income, upgraded my ship and are currently blockading the jumpgate to Earth from enemy forces, I play as an EarthCom commander. I will soon be on my way to buy my first OTS missile. I got all the information I needed about the weapon from the manual but, just want to make sure before using it.

If I launch an OTS missile on a base, will the base be completely levelled or can I still send ground forces to capture the base.

Will a base that has been hit by an OTS missile still rebuild it's structures and defenses.

P.S. I would like to thank and congratulate Derek Smart and co. for a magnificent game, If I were a talented game developer and wanted to create my own game, UC would be it!

I had some time to go through the forums and found all the information I needed, thanks anyway.

I have found out that you cannot capture planetary bases but, I still "capture" bases by destroying all the defenses and holding the base as a strategic position. My aim is to force the base to transmit an SOS signal so that an enemy relief force is sent to assist it, I then lie in wait to ambush the relief force. This can be a good way to earn experience for myself and upgrade my crew's AI level. What I would like to know is, will the enemy send a relief force, and also, what do you think of this strategy?

I've started to explore the universe and now operate in the Omicron Eridani systems, Frellis to be exact, which have many mineral depsits for mining. (a long way from home for an EarthCOM commander) I have since had some battles in space and on land and my experience is now around 11000. On one assault on a base, one of my Wildcat tanks were lost. Is it possible to replace my destroyed Wildcat with a Mayhem tank or my Raven FC's with Defenders?

-Can I replace my FP weapons and items with others available for my career class?

-Can I deploy/use Orbital Defence Systems?

Thanks