Starwraith games

cutterjohn

OK, I'm going to admit a small amount of heresy here:

I ended up purchasing Evochron Renegades from Starwraith this week, as I was thinking that it looked like it should work just fine on a netbook or slightly more powerful notebook platforms. It seemed to have all the features that one would expect from a heavily Elite-like derivative game, yet when I mentioned ina post on their forums some very vague references v. X series/ "BC/UC" I essentially got jumped allover more than I would've EVER expected here, even in the darkest days.

Anyone know what is up with these people? As it's not exactly something that would make me recommend their games to anyone for ANY purpose...

[EDIT]

*cough* Expect to purchase UCCE once I scare up the cash for some portable system + UCCE... :P

[/EDIT]

Hello Cutterjohn, I think we've met before. Let me first tell to those that mind that I am indeed a regular from the Starwraith 3D Forums, although I am in no way affliated with the games.

Now, I can take a lot, but I really hate dishonesty. When I saw this, I felt it was right to reply here. Please, this is not an advertisement, this is just the other side of the story for those that do mind. I will also refrain from talking about the game itself.

If you're going to complain about things, I think you should be truthful and honest. First of all, I already explained Evochron Renegades will not run on your standard EEE-PC or Acer Aspire One. It will require a more powerful DirectX enabled netbook, which usually cost upwards of $700.

The community over at Starwraith 3D Games is extremely acceptive and supporting to anyone and is known to be so, but you didn't make 'vague comments', if you're really fair. To be exact, you called the game 'woefully inadequate' and implied it be inferior to both X/BC games. This is your opinion, and we accept that, but the way you repeatedly posted your opinion not only implied that the Evochron Renegades game is a subpar game only usable on netbooks, but also that we were insane for being there while we do have more powerful computers.

Now, at Starwraith 3D Games the community really doesn't mind what game you prefer most. They do mind trollers and we do mind insulting people. They also mind people registering just to 'stir up trouble', as you seemed to admit later in the (now archived to avoid future trouble) thread. You requested your access to the forum to be removed, making you a pretty unique case, especially seeing the administrator there has barely banned any people there for years now. You're probably the only of the few who feels 'there's something up with the guys there', and that should say more about you than about us, doesn't it?

You'll find that if you'd have behaved nicely, we wouldn't mind whether you like BC3000, seeing you're an admitted Battlecruiser-fan.

In any case, to each his own preferences. All I was wanting to say is that cutterjohn was indeed 'jumped upon as in the darkest night', for trolling, insulting, using foul language and general misbehaviour.

I'm curious. How did you end up following him here?

That would be quite simple, it's so special someone gets banned over there that I wanted to know whether or not he had been involved in other cases of trolling or similar misbehaviour. Probably in my nature, which is quite a curious one. I just punched in "cutterjohn", "battlecruiser", "3000AD", "evochron" and through a page in which cutterjohn (surprisingly) seemed quite positive about the Starwraith Games and relatively negative about the Battlecruiser series (something about 'Derek getting greedy', some Wikipedia taught me that Derek creates these games) - I found this site. I read the story and felt this was so unfair towards an indie programmer and his community that I just had to post something.

I'm glad that you, as 'Supreme Cmdr' (admin?), seem to agree that lying to damage ones reputation is a bad thing, though :P.

I'm glad that you, as 'Supreme Cmdr' (admin?), seem to agree that lying to damage ones reputation is a bad thing, though :P.

Heis indeed the admin.....and he is Derek Smart himself. ;-)

That would be quite simple, it's so special someone gets banned over there that I wanted to know whether or not he had been involved in other cases of trolling or similar misbehaviour. Probably in my nature, which is quite a curious one. I just punched in "cutterjohn", "battlecruiser", "3000AD", "evochron" and through a page in which cutterjohn (surprisingly) seemed quite positive about the Starwraith Games and relatively negative about the Battlecruiser series (something about 'Derek getting greedy', some Wikipedia taught me that Derek creates these games) - I found this site. I read the story and felt this was so unfair towards an indie programmer and his community that I just had to post something.

I'm glad that you, as 'Supreme Cmdr' (admin?), seem to agree that lying to damage ones reputation is a bad thing, though ;).

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Well, as you can see from our 'clean' forums, we have a very - VERY - low tolerance threshold around here for such behavior. While there is no such evidence of him behaving that way here, maybe he was just having a bad day? Anyway, without seeing his posts and the reactions to it therein, its rather hard to comment. He has been around here (under a different alias) since, oh I dunno, Nixon was president? And we never had a problem with him.

Around here, we take pride in meaningful not meaningless posts as well quality over quantity posts; and with those rules in play, its kinda hard to go off the deep end; though we get our own share of trolls (one was mangled, stripped naked, hung, shot, then tossed out an airlock just this past week actually) every now and again.

Being hard core space combat/sim fans around here we welcome discussions of ALL things space and sci-fi related. Even those tools over at CERN - determined to end the world - get their own special topic around here. :P

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Well, as you can see from our 'clean' forums, we have a very - VERY - low tolerance threshold around here for such behavior. While there is no such evidence of him behaving that way here, maybe he was just having a bad day? Anyway, without seeing his posts and the reactions to it therein, its rather hard to comment. He has been around here (under a different alias) since, oh I dunno, Nixon was president? And we never had a problem with him.

Around here, we take pride in meaningful not meaningless posts as well quality over quantity posts; and with those rules in play, its kinda hard to go off the deep end; though we get our own share of trolls (one was mangled, stripped naked, hung, shot, then tossed out an airlock just this past week actually) every now and again.

Being hard core space combat/sim fans around here we welcome discussions of ALL things space and sci-fi related. Even those tools over at CERN - determined to end the world - get their own special topic around here. ^_^

Looks clean indeed - I've been browsing around and indeed, there's a lot of sci-fi/space related stuff. It so happens I really like the treatment for trolls around here. I should probably propose similar treatment to trolls on the other forums I frequent.

Of course, a bad day would be a good excuse, although I heard there was an additional e-mail conversation between the admin at Starwraith 3D Games and cutterjohn in which he is said to be extremely hostile and offensive. However, that's probably stuff for the guys back at Starwraith instead of you guys here.

I guess the admins over at Starwraith 3D Games like having a clean forum just as much as you do, and thus archived the message in the inaccessible area of the forum for eventual future reference. I also guess that if he doesn't give any problems here - there's no problem here ;). I just thought his portrayal of a community so similar to this one and a hardworking developer like yourself was extremely unfair.

Wow, I just ended up talking to Derek Smart. That's a pretty unexpected development, lol. I must admit I've always looked up at indie developers and their creations and you're probably one of the better known developers around.

I think I'll be checking your games, I'm pretty impressed by what I see around here.

I've looked into StarWraith games on the wikipedia and if what is there is to be believed they've got a pretty interesting series of games there for a one person dev team. May have to look into it sooner or late ^_^ Regardless welcome here tha_rami. Check out Universal Combat, it is free to play now and will give you a good taste of what Battle Cruiser is all about, in fact UC and UC:CE are pretty much the same game, it's just that CE is faster/prettier/more stable ect. SC releases games like car companies release cars ;) Each one has all the good stuff from the last generation of games then adds even more good stuff ontop of it whilst leaving it as stable as possible. So as for right now UC:CE is the ultimate battle cruiser 3000ad realization.

Wow, I just ended up talking to Derek Smart.

Some said that. And then they died (flushed off the airlock).

I've also had some fun playing the demo version of Evocron renegades. The most interesting part was newtonian physics, that's not something common in space games. Elite, Starshatter, Iwar, jumpgate, terminus..Orbiter, the upcoming Infinity:TQFE..and that's all. Nice to have it.

I haven't played the demo long enough to consider really buying the full version though. I might think deeper about it in some time, when the purse recovers from my recent UC:CE order.

Some said that. And then they died (flushed off the airlock).

Haha. Auch. At least I wouldn't be stripped naked, mangled and the rest of all that.

I'll check out Universal Combat as soon as I can. It sounds interesting, and seeing like-minded people are clearly enjoying it I can't really go wrong, can I now?

The only way you can go wrong is to leave Resnig in command of your bridge, but you'll soon find that out MUWAHAHAHAHA . . .<cough> Any how welcome ^_^ I'm going to try that Evochron game as soon as I can.

The great thing about this game is that it is procedurally generated, meaning that it can weigh in at a very small amount but still have great 3d graphics. In other words the levels and what not are all generated AS the game runs instead of being stored in memory like say, UC. Other examples of this are rogue like games where the entire dungeon or world is randomly created when the game starts , like Dwarf Fortress. Spore is a more modern example, much of that game play or all of it is procedurally generated. The planets are all scripted randomly so no two should be alike and aren't stored in the system before hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evochron_Renegades This will tell you more about the game and has a picture from the game play as well as box art, which is strange considering the game was never released in box formed as far as I know.

As far as I know, the planetary engine of UC uses procedural generation to create the landscape since there are whole planets to build. UC would really be huge if every terrain feature of every planets in the game were stored.

Btw, don't confuse random and procedural.

Well I think it is a case of it being both with rogue like games because the world is procedurally generated at random given a certain set of boundries. For example Nethack's levels are random but but at the same time they are of a certain size so as to fit the screen and all tunnels and rooms are connected so on and so forth. But in the case of Evochron (am I even spelling it right?) I think it is all procedurally generated and none random , same for UC I would expect because I've been to the same place on Earth a couple times in several diffrent games and it is always the same.

As far as I know, the planetary engine of UC uses procedural generation to create the landscape since there are whole planets to build.

No it doesn't. The planetary terrain uses a series of height maps which are distributed amongst planets and only look different based on the procedural texture generation on them as well as a bunch of other factors (e.g. climate zones and such).

He was half right at least ^_^ The textures are generated. I think in EvoChron's case most of the game is generated like this which is why it is so very small. Maybe the_rami can confirm.