[UCCE] Incorrect fp profile used after restore

edit:can't seem to edit titles, but it actually turns into profile 1 and not 3 as specified in the title

ok, it's kinda crazy so I spent a lot of time in UC:CE narrowing it down for you. I'll try to be as detailed as I can.

start a new roam game, leave everything as is except the profile, select 2.

once in game target earth, push shift-9

dive down and to the right for the convienently placed island to land on and land on it.

go to the tactical computer and tell your AE to hop into SC1 and launch it, and land it. (landing is not required to reproduce, however getting in a shuttle is for sure) Note: you can even get out of the shuttle here for a bit then go back in as long as you don't bring up any of your weapons.

use the menu GUI command->system>restore/exit and save it. (not sure if the keyboard shortcut effects this issue but I doubt it)

now at the main menu use restore, and reload the game.

once back in game, fly back and dock in the CC. (if you look at you inventory here you will still see profile 2, but don't let that fool you)

now alt-e out of the CC and enjoy profile 1...

Hope I got it all, It's getting kinda late...

All right, first, you should be more precise in some parts of your step-by-step.

First, which game are w talking about? I take it that's UC:CE, but you should make it clear.

Then, "start a game". What kind of game? ROAM? ACM? IA? Then again, I'll suppose that's a basic ROAM game.

Well, now to the issue itself, I can confirm it..to an extent. Actually, I tried all the above, but my profile2 switched back to profile1 when restoring, NOT profile3.

Now, which patch version are you using? And did you try rolling back to a previous version to check ?

sorry, like I said it was late...

but anyway yes this happens in UC:CE in a basic roam game, and it does switch to profile 1 not 3.... my bad...

I'm all patched up with 1.00.09 with the granade sound, and profile 2 patch added to that.

and no I didn't try any other versions than this one. I'm going to try it on plain UC now though.

edit: it does not seem to happen in UC

Like the other two which I deleted over the weekend, my first impulse was to delete this one too. The rules around here have not changed. You post a nonsensical and/or incorrect report, or in the wrong forum, it will be DELETED on sight. NO EXCEPTIONS

Unless you are clear about this report (e.g. is it only happening if you deploy/save/restore when in as shuttle?), I will delete this too.

however getting in a shuttle is for sure

so yes, it only happens if your in a shuttle (in space or on a planet) and save the game. however you need to be on a planet to alt-e and bring up your weapons afterwards. (Don't trust the tactical computer personel inventory mode after saving.)

==========================

another interesting note I just found out about is that after you save the game and restore it in a shuttle, (without docking at the CC first) if you alt-e and push 2 the game acts like you don't have any weapons besides the wrist laser. It keeps trying to equip a primary weapon but can't find any so it equips the wrist laser, see's that that's not the right weapon type, de-equips it, then tries to find something else only to find the wrist laser again... Pushing 1 will break the cycle and equip the wrist laser and then your inventory gets filled out, and you have all profile 1 stuff.

fine, "2: Assault rifles and shotguns" then... It doesn't matter what you call button 2 though if the game can't find any weapons there...

also while I was looking in that section, page 67 states:

"WEAPON: To the right of the icon are (1) the weaponÆs fire mode if it has more than one."

which is not correct, the number is to the left of the icon in UC:CE.

fine, "2: Assault rifles and shotguns" then... It doesn't matter what you call button 2 though if the game can't find any weapons there...

It doesn't matter? Why then would each button have a specific function mapped to it? Why is there even a manual? If you are going to refer to buttons, then do so accurately.

If you are going to refer to weapons, then do accurately. Why? Because it is important to whatever it is you are trying to report. Thus far, you've had one stumble after another with something that - to me - amounts to a very simple report. To the point that, from reading this thread, I frankly don't have a frigging clue what you're going on about and not even going to bother with it for the foreseable future.

also while I was looking in that section, page 67 states:

"WEAPON: To the right of the icon are (1) the weaponÆs fire mode if it has more than one."

which is not correct, the number is to the left of the icon in UC:CE.

Inconsequential. But I'm glad that you actually figured that out though. So, go ahead and annotate your manual with the correction.

All right, I just finished some tests. That took me more than 2 hours to try and write down the report.

I'm using UC:CE patched to the latest version.

Some clarifiaction about some words used:

-Create a new profile: Create a new ROAM game, enter a name but don't change anything except the player gear, which should be set to profile3. Before you press the 'accept' button,double check player gear. On the MISCON page, select ROAM AND EXPLORE scenario. Accept.

-Delete profile: So that you don't mess up with all the profile you're likely to create for that test, once you're done with one, delete it.

-Target Earth: using the NID, target planet Earth.

-Land: whenever 'land' is mentioned, read 'establish planetfall to Earth and using TACOPS and waypoints land your craft at EARTH00[sBASE]/BASE_EARTH01'.

-Leave <asset>: Get off the asset you're currently in. You'd better landing it before.

-Check gear: read 'use the 2 key to cycle through primary weapons (that's how they are called in the appendix->FP gear, in the keyboard commands pdf(game_commands.pdf reads: "PRIMARY WEAPON / CYCLE ASSET TURRETS 2") and in the "start new game" screen) to check which you are actually using. For your information, only comandeer career profile 01 lets commanders carry a XN32 rifle and an RT41 shotgun at the same time.

-Profile is # : you're using command career profile number #, see the UC appendix for more details.

-"quit&save with restore" then restore: click command->system->quit&save with restore function in the TLM cluster (in FPS mode, use TACOPS to acces the very same function). Enter whatever description you want in the 1st slot, then click accept. Back at the game's main menu, use the 'restore' option, select the appropriate profile and load your game.

ALl right, this is gonna be long and tedious.

Test1

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Leave the CC, check gear.

> you're using a FG45 RIFLE and HD4SG SHOTGUN, profile is commander career 03. Leave your game, delete profile.

Test2

Create a new profile (triple check you choose profile 3). Target Earth, land. Leave the CC,do not check gear yet. "quit&save with restore" then restore. Check gear.

> there again, you're still carrying the FG45 and HD4SG, nothing wrong so far, it's profile 03. Leave your game, delete profile.

Test3

Create a new profile, target Earth, land. "Quit and save with restore" then restore. Leave the CC, check gear.

> You're now using a XN32 RIFLE and RT41 SHOTGUN. Profile is commander career 01. double check (try Test3 again). Leave your game, delete profile.

Test4

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Leave the CC, do NOT check gear yet. Board SHUTTLE MK1 near the comms building. Leave the shuttle, check gear.

> profile is 03. Leave your game, delete profile.

Test5

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Leave the CC, do NOT check gear yet. Board SHUTTLE MK1 near the comms building (it's one of the base's assets, not yours). "quit&save with restore" then restore. Leave the shuttle, check gear.

Test6

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to SC1, launch SC1. Leave SC1, check gear.

Test7

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to SC1, launch SC1. "quit&save with restore" then restore. Leave SC1, check gear.

> profile switched to 01 (XN32 RIFLE and RT41 SHOTGUN). Leave your game, delete profile.

Test8

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to SC1. Transfer AE from SC1 to OC1. Deploy OC1, leave OC1, check gear

Test9

Create a new profile, target Earth, land. Send AE to SC1. Transfer AE from SC1 to OC1. Deploy OC1. "quit&save with restore" then restore. Leave OC1, check gear.

> profile switched to 01. DOUBLE CHECK. Yes, it also works with OCs. Leave your game, delete profile.

Test10

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to SC1, launch SC1. Dock back to CC. Leave CC, check gear.

Test11

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to SC1, launch SC1. Dock back to CC. "quit&save with restore" then restore. Leave CC, check gear.

> profile is 01. Leave your game, delete profile.

Test12

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to FC1, launch FC1. Leave FC1, check gear.

Test13

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to FC1, launch FC1. Dock back to CC, leave CC. Check gear.

Test14

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to FC1, launch FC1. "Quit&save with restore" then restore. Leave FC1, check gear.

Test15

Create a new profile. Target Earth, land. Send AE to FC1, launch FC1. Dock back to CC. "Quit&save with restore" then restore. Leave CC, check gear

Now for a change:

Test16

Create a new profile. "Quit&save with restore" then restore. Send AE to SC1, launch SC1. Target Earth, land SC1, leave SC1. check gear.

Test17

Create a new profile. "Quit&save with restore" then restore. Send AE to transporter. Beam down on Earth (EARTH00[sBASE]/BASE_EARTH01). Check gear.

> profile is 01.

Same seems to happen with ACM mode.

Basically, whenever you save&restore while in one of your craft (be it your CC, one of your SCs, FCs or OCs), your player gear switchs to profile 01. I haven't tried other careers yet. Saving and restoring in an NPC craft (read: none of the craft carried by the CC, nor the CC itself) doesn't seem to affect your player gear.

Wow, just wow. Say, how come you're not in our official Beta testing team? You sure as heck need to be because that kind of detailed test/report is what our official testers have perfected since back when Nixon was president. :wtf:

Basically, whenever you save&restore while in one of your craft (be it your CC, one of your SCs, FCs or OCs), your player gear switchs to profile 01. I haven't tried other careers yet. Saving and restoring in an NPC craft (read: none of the craft carried by the CC, nor the CC itself) doesn't seem to affect your player gear.

Anyway, yah, it works as designed. Why? Well, because - [from looking at the code] - your fp gear weapon loadout is never saved, nor restored. Ever. So it uses the default. That being, the first profile in FPGEAR.INI.

I'll probably implement it at some point, but its not even on my radar right now given the nature and importance of the issue.

Wow, just wow. Say, how come you're not in our official Beta testing team? You sure as heck need to be because that kind of detailed test/report is what our official testers have perfected since back when Nixon was president. :wtf:

Eh, I guess I eventually got the hang of it by browsing that forum, sir.

Anyway, yah, it works as designed. Why? Well, because - [from looking at the code] - your fp gear weapon loadout is never saved, nor restored. Ever. So it uses the default. That being, the first profile in FPGEAR.INI.

I'll probably implement it at some point, but its not even on my radar right now given the nature and importance of the issue.

All right, that's definitely not important in my opinion either, I guess they teach you how to kill with the whole range of weapons yo'uve access to, so it shouldn't be a problem.

However, is that file (FPGEAR.INI) mp5 protected? Some people may want to edit it so that the profile they want to play with is the first listed.

Would it be possible to script a scenario so that your default gear is set to profile 3 instead, kind of like you can script one to start you with a FireStorm instead of a BC MKII by just changing the ship's Id or whatever in the existing script?

There are far too many workarounds for this minor issue to even warrant any such thing.

Yes, but it's still quite a surprise for those who do not know about it. I would suggest adding it to the known bugs section or something.

I was mainly concerned about about saved game corruption when I first saw this happen. But it looks like I don't have to worry about that if the stuff is never saved to begin with right?

Also did the original UC save this information? I was unable to duplicate the issue in that game.

I think this thread serves the same purpose. Its not even a bug. As I said, that data is never saved. And I don't see how it would be a surprise. How many people use a shuttle to deploy their AE, for whatever reason? You can use the transporter and not have that problem.

No clue how it was handled in UC but the engine kernel is two generations different from UCCE. However, my guess is that its probably in there as well.

The issue is not specifically about saving because I can tell you right now that the information has never - ever - been saved. Not even in BCM (where gears were first introduced). It has to do with asset management.

When you deploy from an asset, completely different set of rules are used to 'create' your character. When your character is created, the gear profile is always the default. Thats why this problem is not in NPC vehicles since they are not 'your' assets. So for them, this is handled differently as well. The way assets and characters are handled have changed over the years and across products, so this is just a side effect of that and something that wasn't obvious before.

ok, thanks for the explanation.

I came across the problem because I always do mining drone deployment/extraction with my AE. Then I usually hop out and screw around planetside or make trading runs untill repairs/upgrades are done or the drones are full. I'm sure everyone has there own different playstyle in this game though.