Dev Update (All Aspect Warfare)

Supreme Cmdr

We have released some additional media from our upcoming game.

These new shots show various climate zones which are varied across the game's 400 sq. km region in which the stranded player and team have crash landed. Our goal for the terrain engine (which we wrote from scratch) was to provide high res visuals at any altitude, given that the game features first/third person, vehicular and air combat aspects. The resolution of satellite maps is good only for high altitude traversal and can look quite stunning at those high altitudes. But at low altitudes (for low flying fighters or NOE flying gunships) as most gamers know, those satellite maps look like a blurry mess. And you certainly cannot use them for an fps game. Our terrain engine has fine resolution to 2m per pixel so regardless of your altitude, be it ground zero or 40K ft ASL, it still looks great.

Another feature of our new terrain engine apart from the dynamic time of day transitions and such is that the various regions are subject to climate variations which in turn feature various weather patterns. Each region blends from one to the next (e.g. moderate to artic) in a manner that allows it to rain on one section while there is a snow storm in another - be it day or night.

Movie:

Between now and the game's 2009 release, we will be releasing a series of "The Making Of All Aspect Warfare" shorts featuring various aspects of the game (raw footage - flaws and all) as it moves through development (currently in late Alpha and on schedule for Beta in Q1/09).

This first movie short, "The Gank" features the player infilitrating a hostile base in order to nab two of their vehicles for personal use in the stranded team's quest to find and deactivate the R.A.N.D.O.M. weapon or get off the planet before it goes boom.

The 5:50 movie has been uploaded to mirrors and links will be posted when they go live.

EDIT: Movies are now linked from the game's website at www.allaspectwarfare.com

The game looks nice, I especially like the impact effects and the new frag grenade explosions.

Now, did you really use the invulnerable cheat for that movie? You know, when the two guys are shooting you for like 30 seconds. BAD! :)

Also, do you plan on including TrackIR support and/or the ability to look around freely, with smooth transition between the front/side/rear/up/down views in any of your upcoming games?

My internet, oh my internet! Satellite internet in a snow storm can't take this much bandwidth hogging! :) I'd be so very happy if someone would be nice enough to upload this to say - Youtube, I realize that its much lower qulity, but I'm currently looking at 10+hrs until this finishes. :(

Oh, the wonders of living in the middle of nowhere. :jam_on:

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work all round there, SC :) the MFB looks like it could make an appearance on 'Extreme Machines', love the distortion from looking through water, all top notch, congrats and looking forward to more.

Excellent work all round there, SC :) the MFB looks like it could make an appearance on 'Extreme Machines', love the distortion from looking through water, all top notch, congrats and looking forward to more.

Yah, sergio came up with some mind boggling cool looking underwater caustics rendering that just has to be seen to be believed. I'll do a new movie later this month when we've implemented a bunch of other things.

And we're making progress with the scenes. Though they're not quite there yet, they're stating to look better, they're larger etc. Most of the buildings are yet to be revised, but the assets (vehicles, fighters, threat units etc) are coming along great.

I wonder - will there be extensive interior areas that we will be going into in the game? Or will it all mostly still be only exteriors like in the previous games?

There are not going to be any indoor levels because it is too much work and we have very little time - and budget. There MAY be one or two for perhaps the primary starbase model, but that is still up in the air. I had never planned to do indoor levels because with this much assets, you can't just do one and not the others because it just kills the experience I think.

Also, since the NPC units now use a navmesh to navigate the scene and don't bump into things at all it would look odd to have buildings with indoor levels that only players can enter. To make NPC units enter and navigate inside them is a whole other ball game that we simply don't have time to mess with.

• 4 weeks later...
Will all aspect warfare give you the ability to walk on the inside of ships?

AAW will take place on a planet, so it's not likely you'll ever get to see capital ships, let alone walk inside one.

I really like the new website, it looks really nice! The developer blog is quite interesting and I really like the interiors (it is true - having no interiors would be quite negative for FPSers!) I am still really looking forward to this, and want a preorder!