All Aspect Warfare Public Demo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the correct procedure.

So you may have a permissions issue on your Vista64 machine. If you look at the KB article in previous posts, it shows you how to get around that. Instead of the AAW.EXE, right-click on the AAWDEMO.EXE file and follow the instructions.

I just tried it again

1. uninstalled demo
  2. Installed 1.18.15 demo client
  3. Installed 1.18.23 demo patch
  4. Ran demo
  5. Selected "Already Signed Up", then typed in aawdemo for both user and password, clicked on "Login"
  6. The game downloaded the license and ran the 3000ad intro animation

Nope. I followed your steps and even deleted everything related to 3000AD in the registry prior to the new install.

What do you mean by "follow the instructions" ? My vista user account has all administrative permissions (UAC is also disabled). Nevertheless I tried "run as administrator" but got the same error.

I seem to be running into several errors with ByteShield. Others have it working, so it's clearly a fault on my end, but I'm unsure of what the fault is.

Firstly, I installed and forgot to patch, so ByteShield didn't seem to let me login appropriately (using the correct manner of logging in "Already Signed Up," etc). After patching, it appeared fixed. When I finished with logging in, however, a note came up: "An active copy of this product has been detected Would you like to transfer the activation to this installation?". At first I hit "no," and I was simply taken back to a plain red ByteShield screen. After exiting and attempting again, I hit yes, at which point, I was told, for some reason or another, "A failure has occured at activation startup". Assuming something had possibly gone wrong with my installation, I uninstalled, re-installed AND patched before attempting to log-in to ByteShield.

After all this has taken place, I now run into an error that says an "existing application has not yet expired." I've never truly played a game in this series, though it astounds me how deep these games tend to be. It's the very sort of experience in a game I've always dreamed of, but unfortunately these errors have gotten in my way (have I brownnosed enough to get help yet? :boldblue: ).

Hopefully I'll be able to resolve this issue soon, though I see no clear way of fixing it.

UPDATE: The latter issue has been resolved, replaced, again, by the former.

Computer Specs:

Vista 64-bit

GeForce 9600M GS

Intel Duo-Core 2.10GHz T8100

4GB DDR2 Memory

Additionally of note, the FileFront main demo download does not appear to work. An error states "The installer integrity check has failed."

UPDATE: The latter issue has been resolved, replaced, again, by the former.

Meaning what?

Anyway, using Byteshield for the demo tends to be a comedy of errors in some cases; but we are going to be releasing a new patch for the demo which removes Byteshield. It should have been up since last week but we were doing testing - then the holidays happened.

Additionally of note, the FileFront main demo download does not appear to work. An error states "The installer integrity check has failed."

Try another download site?

Try another download site?

Well the one I originally used was FileFront, which didn't work. Then I used FileShack, whose download worked. However, because I was getting the "failure has occured at startup," I tried FileFront again to the same effect. I just thought you might like to know about the problem, in case it's not just on my side and anyone downloading from FileFront was getting an error. That would be quite inconvinient :P

Meaning what?

Woops, I guess I should really read after I write; I wasn't very clear here, hehe.

When I finished with logging in, however, a note came up: "An active copy of this product has been detected Would you like to transfer the activation to this installation?". At first I hit "no," and I was simply taken back to a plain red ByteShield screen. After exiting and attempting again, I hit yes, at which point, I was told, for some reason or another, "A failure has occured at activation startup". Assuming something had possibly gone wrong with my installation, I uninstalled, re-installed AND patched before attempting to log-in to ByteShield.

This is currently what is happening, "A failure has occured at activation startup." I've tried executing from both the shortcut and the application itself, just to be sure the shortcut wasn't broken. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is- I followed the instructions as closely as I could (the errors made it a bit tougher :boldblue: ). I'd imagine it's an issue on my side since most everyone else seems to have their game working fine.

I know it's not an issue with Vista, but I feel like blaming the OS anyway. DARN VISTA!

Anyway, using Byteshield for the demo tends to be a comedy of errors in some cases; but we are going to be releasing a new patch for the demo which removes Byteshield. It should have been up since last week but we were doing testing - then the holidays happened.

Who can rush the holidays, eh? Happy Independence Day to all Americans out there, while we're on that topic! :salute: We let off $500 worth of fireworks last night, always a blast (pun intended!).

Humm, something seems broken. Probably on my end.

Launching the game, I got this, though then I relaunched it and got in fine.

33c7mgi.jpg

Trying to get into a vehicle, I got this;

1zxb14w.jpg

However, when I relaunched and tried it, I was fine and able to fly it. I played a bit more, then I got a 'has encountered a problem and must close' error, while crashing in the same vehicle, hadn't hit the ground.

Is it just me (most likey), or did something go amiss?

Both of those indicate some tampering and/or a corrupted install. Which would explain why you could still play it. Or you could have corrupted sectors on your HDD to which files were copied during install.

Thanks for the demo update! Though I am surprised at how intensive the game is, I don't get very good FPS :-( I think it may be a problem with something other than my graphics causing it- perhaps I have auio channels set too high?

Also, can you run the game in windowed mode? How?

Thanks for the demo update! Though I am surprised at how intensive the game is, I don't get very good FPS :-( I think it may be a problem with something other than my graphics causing it- perhaps I have auio channels set too high?

Also, can you run the game in windowed mode? How?

It is a massive game, so running with everything on high is ill advised unless you have the horsepower to do that. When in doubt, don't mess with the default settings.

Audio channels have nothing to do with performance hits because that just allows the audio to be processed on the card. If you have an on-board video card, you definitely want to leave the channels to 0. Apart from the fact that setting it to use hardware audio will cause it to drop some sounds when the card runs out of channels. When in doubt, leave it at 0.

Running in a window is possible, unsupported and only for debugging purposes. Why would you even want to do that?

It is a massive game, so running with everything on high is ill advised unless you have the horsepower to do that. When in doubt, don't mess with the default settings.

I actually set the graphics down to low, still had the same FPS trouble. That's why i wondered if it was to do with audio channels. Strangely enough, even when I pause, I have FPS problems in the menu. This doesn't occur at the default menu, only at the paused menu- my mouse cursor lags and jumps.

Running in a window is possible, unsupported and only for debugging purposes. Why would you even want to do that?

My computer's not much of a hardcore gaming system- capable, but not hardcore. Running windowed at a lower resolution helps to keep my games more playable than at my default 1920 x 1200.

I actually set the graphics down to low, still had the same FPS trouble. That's why i wondered if it was to do with audio channels. Strangely enough, even when I pause, I have FPS problems in the menu. This doesn't occur at the default menu, only at the paused menu- my mouse cursor lags and jumps.

My computer's not much of a hardcore gaming system- capable, but not hardcore. Running windowed at a lower resolution helps to keep my games more playable than at my default 1920 x 1200.

Maybe if you posted your config we could help you.

Also, you can run the game in fullscreen in a lower resolution instead of windowed. Windowed tends to impact your FPS in most games.

Strangely enough, even when I pause, I have FPS problems in the menu. This doesn't occur at the default menu, only at the paused menu- my mouse cursor lags and jumps.

uhm, well yeah - when the game is paused, its well, paused. :boldblue:

Wait!! You're running the game at 1900x1200? Even though its not a top of the line gaming rig as you stated? Seriously?

As RT said, post your rig specs. Regardless of your monitor's native resolution, you can run ANY app at ANY resolution. It does NOT have to be the monitor's native res. Which is why ALL games give you the option of changing the resolution. You should be running the game using the default res settings if your rig can't handle the higher resolutions.

Alright, first off specs, and just a note, it's a TouchSmart IQ816:

Vista 64-bit

GeForce 9600M GS 512MB

Intel Duo-Core T8100 2.10GHz

25.5" LCD Touchscreen Monitor

4GB DDR2 Memory

Also, you can run the game in fullscreen in a lower resolution instead of windowed.

Indeed, but, call me a "noobish graphics fanboy" or something of the sort, but I'd rather have crisp graphics at a lower, windowed resolution than rather blurred graphics using full-screen lower resolution. I don't mind how the graphics look, I just like things "fit" to the box, if you understand my rather vague metaphor.

Even on the default settings, though, I was surprised how low the FPS actually seemed. Character animations, even crosshair movement and (as I said before) mouse movement in the pause menu is slow. I've set everything to the lowest settings with the same result. I wonder if it's an issue running from my rather low-level CPU rather than my average-level GPU.

Oh, and just wanted to say: Thanks for the help you're all offering. It's nice to see both community members and devs alike make the effort to help little ol' newbs like me :boldblue:

That machine barely makes the minimum specs required for the game. As such, you shouldn't run it with anything other than the defaults. There is no way around it.

Also, thats not a gaming machine. Its the same rubbish specs they put in laptops. Just run something like 3DMark and you'll have your answer.

And every single review on that machine tells you that the performance is rubbish. It is. It is a perfect gaming machine. For Peggle, browser games and the like.

We also have trouble with the TouchSmart for productivity, and this seems to be where HP pays a price for choosing a slow 2.1GHz laptop CPU. We don't suggest that performance is the primary purchase factor for this system, and it handles most common tasks well enough. Yet among two other recent all-in-ones, a $1,250 Dell midtower as well as Apple's 24-inch iMac, the HP TouchSmart IQ816 is the slowest on every one of our benchmarks. Touch-functionality notwithstanding, its performance is more like that of a $600 budget desktop than a $2,000 all-in-one.

Also, thats not a gaming machine. Its the same rubbish specs they put in laptops. Just run something like 3DMark and you'll have your answer.

Aye, I bought it for college aware that it wouldn't play things very well, I was just hoping it would at least get me through the current gen. Apparently I was wrong (the non-linear numbering of the GeForce and Intel series' makes it very hard to judge for amateurs in computer hardware like myself).

Thanks for the support, guess I'll just have to hope by the time I'm out of college there are still games about like this that aren't the boring old "norm." Maybe it's not too late to return, though...