Fatal Error - Pte Reference To Unknown Object

While observing Earth, I get this error message when clicking on the small box for base01 in one of the scenes/zones:

PTE Error box - PTE reference to unknown object: base_mbase01

I checked other locations, and cities and other objects seem okay.

I also checked other bases: base_mbase08, for instance. I also get the error. It looks like it's happening when clicking on any mbase_basenn.

Steve

No clue. But its a harmless warning anyway.

It crashes me to the desktop when it happens. I'm running Visa Home Premium 32-bit on an HP dv7t.

Anyway, I just stay away from those and I'm okay.

Steve

p.s. I didn't check the DVD version to see if it happens there. I can if you wish.

I thought I read somewhere that it was best to install the 2.0 patch on top of a pristine install of 1.0.

This time, I reinstalled 1.0, patched it up to 1.01.04, then applied the 2.0 patch. It now seems rock-solid, and the mbases are all there.

I must say, the graphics are awesome. The AI NPCs are really tough, too.

I stared a roam scenario, and before I could get a couple of mining drones deployed, the nasties are all over the region -- insurgents and criminals. I was planning to drop a drone on Earth and then one on Venus, and I almost made it back to Galcom but a fighter got blown up.

A bunch of intruders also took out a bunch of my marines. I need save/restore more often than I am now.

I'm going to have my work cut out for me to clear the sector. I better upgrade my equipment and build up my stores of fuel.

Great job!!!

Steve

Can you backup your install folder, install from 1.0 DVD-ROM again, apply 2.0 patch, then compare the old and new installs to see if the files are different? I can't think of any reason why going from 1.0 to 2.0 causes

a problem.

Can you backup your install folder, install from 1.0 DVD-ROM again, apply 2.0 patch, then compare the old and new installs to see if the files are different? I can't think of any reason why going from 1.0 to 2.0 causes

a problem.

Sure. I'll do it tonight and let you know.

Steve

I went ahead and did this before going out.

I wasn't sure if VISTA had a compare tool so I downloaded something off the internet. Here is what I found.

First Folder is the new install of 1.0 -> 2.0

Second Folder is the saved install of 1.0 -> 1.01.04 -> 2.0

Some notes on the folders:

For First Folder, I only started the game, created a Roam Scenario, and observed Earth for the error. It did occur, which is why you see the FatalError.log file.

For Second Folder, I have been playing that one all morning, and did change some configs, as well as save some games.

Report:

Adobe Acrobat Reader.url - different size

FatalError.log - only in first folder

models / BASE_MBASE01.3DG - only in second folder

models / BASE_MBASE02.3DG - only in second folder

models / BASE_MBASE03.3DG - only in second folder

models / BASE_MBASE04.3DG - only in second folder

models / BASE_MBASE05.3DG - only in second folder

models / BASE_MBASE06.3DG - only in second folder

models / BASE_MBASE07.3DG - only in second folder

models / BASE_MBASE08.3DG - only in second folder

models / MK2D.3D - different size

models / MP_CITY01.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_CITY02.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_CITY03.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_CITY04.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_CITY05.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_CITY06.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_CITY07.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_CITY08.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_MBASE01.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_MBASE02.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_MBASE03.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_MBASE04.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_MBASE05.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_MBASE06.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_MBASE07.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_MBASE08.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_NBASE01.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_SBASE01.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_SBASE02.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_SBASE03.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_SBASE04.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_SBASE05.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_SBASE06.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_SBASE07.3DG - only in second folder

models / MP_SBASE08.3DG - only in second folder

models / SBASE1.3D - different contents

models / SBASE2.3D - different contents

models / SBASE3.3D - different contents

models / SBASE4.3D - different contents

models / SBASE5.3D - different contents

models / SBASE6.3D - different contents

models / SBASE7.3D - different contents

models / SBASE8.3D - different contents

models / SITE_MBASE01.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_MBASE02.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_MBASE03.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_MBASE04.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_MBASE05.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_MBASE06.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_MBASE07.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_MBASE08.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_OUTPOST00.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_OUTPOST01.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_OUTPOST02.3DG - only in first folder

models / SITE_OUTPOST03.3DG - only in first folder

save / player.log - different size

save / player.sav - only in second folder

save / player0.sg0 - only in second folder

save / player0.sg1 - only in second folder

save / player0.sgd - only in second folder

ucconfig.ini - different size

Found 62 differences and 2,349 identical files.

>>> End of report

I'll check back later (after midnight your time) for more.

Steve

Sorry, I should have noted that.

I'm using the 2.0 upgrade on top of a fresh DVD install with no other patches applied..

Steve

I got this as well and raised a support ticket for it. Nothing came of it so I gave up with 2.0

I went ahead and did this before going out.

This doesn't help at all. I didn't need you to play the game as I wanted a comparison of the folders to see why you were missing files.

The 1.0 to 2.0 patch works fine. I tested it myself. As did others in the eight months that it was in testing.

If files are missing or different, then it is probably related to the install and the patch not finding correct files for whatever reason.

Anyway, if patching to 1.01.04 helps I guess that closes that.

I got this as well and raised a support ticket for it. Nothing came of it so I gave up with 2.0

No such support ticket exists.

No such support ticket exists.

Ticket # 9374143-6613060742

Raised via the support trio system on June 13th 2009 at 07:34 with a png screenshot attached. Closed on July 9th with no resolution aside from the comment that "There is nothing to investigate because the devs can't fix what they can't reproduce."

Sounds like it has been reproduced.

Ah, I didn't look in the closed tickets. Looks like it was auto-closed for some reason.

Anyway, I will look into this later, but if going from 1.0 to 1.01.04 to 2.0 works, then go that route. I know for a FACT that it works with 1.0 to 2.0. So it may be something related to the DVD-ROM version of the game. Is that the version you have?

Ah, I didn't look in the closed tickets. Looks like it was auto-closed for some reason.

Anyway, I will look into this later, but if going from 1.0 to 1.01.04 to 2.0 works, then go that route. I know for a FACT that it works with 1.0 to 2.0. So it may be something related to the DVD-ROM version of the game. Is that the version you have?

I concur with that. The workaround is easy.

Steve

All I can say is that I have two copies of UCCE - one from D2D and second from BMT Micro (DVD-ROM) and I didn't noticed this problem with D2D version - patching from 1.0.x to 2.0 works good.

I remember that BMT Micro DVD-ROM version was shipped in something about 2 weeks (with standard check in customs office) - I was really surprised... I remember that letters from my gradfathers friend in UK to my grandfather many years ago was delivered much slower heh...

I was having the same issue going from 1.0-2.0 on the DVD-ROM edition as well. I fixed it by editing my pteobjects.ini so that it said site_mbase08 (it was happening with mbases 1-8) instead of base_mbase08. Apparently it renamed the file to this, but ever since I changed the pteobjects.ini file its worked fine. It might work by renaming the mbase files to base_mbase0x as well, but I never tried this.

I was having the same issue going from 1.0-2.0 on the DVD-ROM edition as well. I fixed it by editing my pteobjects.ini so that it said site_mbase08 (it was happening with mbases 1-8) instead of base_mbase08. Apparently it renamed the file to this, but ever since I changed the pteobjects.ini file its worked fine. It might work by renaming the mbase files to base_mbase0x as well, but I never tried this.

If you patched to 1.01.04, it will include the correct files and you needn't manually edit anything.

Apparently some files in the DVD-ROM version are different, so the patch file didn't update them. Hence this problem and also why going to 1.01.04 first solves the problem.