Dragon Age Origins

Protoford

Dragon Age Origins is interesting in it's concept. I've dived in with three different characters, human noble, dwarf casteless warrior, and an elf rogue who was a member of wandering tribe not enslaved by humans. Each of their "Origins" are interesting story arcs and I still have many characters to create before exploring them all. Each one after finishing their diverse Origin campaign, then proceed to where the main battle is happening. It's a bit like playing a part in a movie, which I am not really a fan of, but the exploring and battling is classic Baldur's Gate stuff. Environments are detailed and pretty well thought out. I find myself bring up the map after getting the requirements for a quest and trying to figure out where else could I go... First impression, I like this game. It's going to be a hack and slash week for me. Toolset came out yesterday, when I get it installed, I'll create a basic village and cave and see how the effects can be manipulated. I joined the voice actor's guild on their community site, could be fun volunteering talent to someone else's modification of the game. Thumbs up from me!

Using the toolset can mess up your single player campaign and stop the game from working.

Odd symptons, like party will no longer follow the leader on their own, not perform assigned tasks, respawning during combat instead of the default of waiting for the combat to be over...

...to eventually telling you, 'Module Wont Load' even for a new single player original campaign game. :doh: I made the mistake of installing the toolset, then creating a new module, area, and levels and then linking all of that to the single player resources with a simple checkbox. Then when I later deleted my test levels, areas, and modules, it was so ingrained into the game that I had to either edit a few critical XMLs or un/re-install the game, wipe the override folders the toolset put items in, and refresh the local sql database the toolset needed, and then force load the save games and save them again without a connection to my previous test module. I will never click the heirarchy box that ties one of my modules to the the single player campaign again. -_- Glad that my saved games were recoverable. Back to having fun playing all the origins stories, and creating worlds of my own with the core resources from the game. whew.

• 3 weeks later...

The PC version is alot harder than the console version.

Shewolf has been breezing through the storyline like a knife through butter on the PS3.

I on the other hand have struggled through the same crawls and been killed numerous times. :)

Which goes to show that developers really dumb down console games.

Well, all of them except Derek. :)

Yea my sister has the console version while I have the PC version. Quite a bit of difference I saw.

One of the very first bosses you fight killed me three times on normal until I figured out how to keep him from really damaging my characters. Yet, on the console, my sister killed him on her first try through and didn't suffer anywhere near the damage I did.

So I have to agree, at least when it comes to some games, they are dumbed down on consoles. Oh well, I got the better challenge! :)

Yea my sister has the console version while I have the PC version. Quite a bit of difference I saw.

One of the very first bosses you fight killed me three times on normal until I figured out how to keep him from really damaging my characters. Yet, on the console, my sister killed him on her first try through and didn't suffer anywhere near the damage I did.

So I have to agree, at least when it comes to some games, they are dumbed down on consoles. Oh well, I got the better challenge! :)

Not to mention most console versions are better overall.

Better graphics, better gameplay experience, and most of the time they offer more than the PC version.

Like 007 nightfire for instance. You can do cheats, and modes on the console version. And graphics are way better, not to mention aiming and firing your guns.

PC version = Bad graphics, Only like 2 modes you can play, it's more difficult to use guns, and the missions are harder.

So it's better to buy a console version of a game, unless there is none.

As for dragon age Origins, I'm not really a fan of medieval or fantasy RPGs. But I played it at a friends house and it was better than the fantasy/medieval RPGs i've ever played before.

Just because its on a PC doesn't make it a bad game :)

And I've seen some stunningly good PC game's whose graphics are far better than those I've seen in the console, then again, I've also seen some console games whose's graphics are better than some PC games.

The thing is; neither is better than the other, the PC has advantages that console does not, just like how a console has advantages that PC does not.

I've also found it easier to cheat or modify on a PC, without having to worry about being banned from some service (it's not worth the risk)

Wait, what?

Better games on console than PC? Of course you have to realize, anything a console does, a PC can do too, tenfold better. The only reason why some games are better on console than on PC (I had never heard of it before btw), is because the devs wanted it that way and make the pc version worse purposedly.

Exactly what RT just said and plus, many people try to run new games on old crappy systems and then complain about performance.

If a game is bord for console, it surely will have less gameplay depth (more casual game style....just into the action as console players usually are), less available commands (you have a keyboard and a mouse here..... only a controller on consoles), and a fixed rig that will run it (optimization is way easier when you know exactly what will run your game).

If you have a good rig and the game was born for PC and with PC players in mind.... well, the conversion to console will be crap.

Imagine how you can aim and fire with the same precision and speed comparing a mouse with a button or lever controller. Can you play it realistically with a controller and make each shot count?

I mean each shot that you got will kill or incapacitate you, just as in reality. I don't think so. You wouldn't probably hit almost nothing without a little leeway from the game that allows you a little more time and a little more precision than in reality.

Think about a simulation. Why there is not a single realistic simulation on consoles?

I tried the HAWKS demo and was really pissed off. I coudn't even turn upside down to maneuve without having the visual turn to 3rd person. Com'on.... see Rise Of Flight and then tell me about PC games.... :)

Correctamundo, Denny,

Hawks was just another over hyped turd from Ubisoft. More of an arcade shooter than a flight sim.

As for DragonAge Origins on the PC.. very distinct differences to rhe console.

Every time I get into a fight I lose track of my cursor and then accidentally click on another character in my group. Usually with detrimental results. :)

Still, it's an excellent, relatively bug free game. Bioware does good work.

As far as combat mistakes on the PC version, the spacebar is your friend.

Pausing the action and swinging around the camera position, then selecting who will fire at whom and with what is much easier.

And yes, the first boss was extremely tough head-on, until I took control of another party member and let the tactics I setup do the work for my main character and the two others in the party.

Haven't a lot of luck with mage tactics yet, but getting a good grasp on what to throw, and when. Some spell combo's work better than others, it seems. :)

DAO also has great voice acting talents.

Kind of funny that nearly all of them were recent actors on alot of SyFY shows.

Kate Mulgrew and Claudia Black just to name a couple. The guy that played Tuvok on ST Voyager is in there too.

So glad to see that they're still working.

It really pissed me off when Ben Browder showed up on Stargate SG-1. Sent that show right into syndication IMHO.

DAO also has great voice acting talents.

Kind of funny that nearly all of them were recent actors on alot of SyFY shows.

Kate Mulgrew and Claudia Black just to name a couple. The guy that played Tuvok on ST Voyager is in there too.

So glad to see that they're still working.

It really pissed me off when Ben Browder showed up on Stargate SG-1. Sent that show right into syndication IMHO.

Richard Dean Anderson forever man :)

At least they kept Teal'c.

Since I finished and played in MP communities all the Neverwinter Nights games and adoons I'm pretty much used to pause the game at the star of each non-easy fight and tell my companion exaclty what to do.

That's the way Bioware games works and yes, they made really good stuffs.

The game developers used 144 unique voice actors in the game and includes such stars as Tim Curry (Rocky Horror Picture Show), Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek: Voyager), Tim Russ (Star Trek: Voyager), Steve Valentine (Crossing Jordan) and Claudia Black (Stargate: SG1). There are also tons of in-game dialogue that add to the humor and lovability of some of your companions without taking away from the action.

from this review.

• 4 months later...

After four months with six characters about 50 hours each, I finally finish the game with one of my characters, but the character sheet says I am only 60 percent through the game. Since there are six different origins, and multiple endings for each origin storyline, I guess I can see why. The other five characters are going to seek out a few more quests to do...

That is what I like in this kind of games. No matter how I carefully take each road in front of me not to miss anything, there still will be something I could not have seen due to character race/class or skill.

This adds to replayability.

I'm just before the archdemon battle with my first character, an elf mage. Only to get all the achievements of mages I'll have to replay the game 4 times with said class, to master all the spells of each magic school.

I'm just before the archdemon battle with my first character, an elf mage. Only to get all the achievements of mages I'll have to replay the game 4 times with said class, to master all the spells of each magic school.

All those magic types! Hard to pick the right line of four of each type, when not specializing. I may try one of each, male noble, male commoner, female noble, female commoner of each race and class to get all the possible dialog lines too. As well as the love intrests, meeting of former commrades later, etc.

Dialog for the Dwarf noble as the exile, and Dwarf commoner as the sibling to the prince's consort, are two very different sets of lines, all in the same town of Orzammar. Then again, I like voice acting, and currently owe some lines to a B5/Freespace project I'm part of. Back to the darkspawn... what kind of party to start out next with? Four mages, four archers, four sword and board, or four dual wielders? :P Maybe just as diverse as before...

I can only say that I got both romance awards with Morrigan and Eliana in my first playthough. Just refused Zevran for the sake of roleplay as my elf magi is etero only. Otherwise I would have only Alistair left out.

Will have those badges later....