Going For Gold

SpaceBadger

Hi All

Brand new to the game having only downloaded it yesterday and already it's had me scratching my head in confusion. Then there was more head scratching when I tried to find a current forum! We Badgers are a simple folk and I can't help but think that getting stuck so very early on, does not bode well for me having the smarts to run such a complex game. :)

Never mind though, I've found you and now I have the attention of experts, I hope you won't mind if I ask you a couple of (possibly silly) questions.

1/ The link I clicked on for the free download, billed it as "Battlecruiser Millennium Gold Edition" and I ended up with version 1.09.03. When I went to make sure this was the latest however, I found that patches for "Gold" (unless I'm missing the obvious) were more in the region of 1.01.**

Also "box art" pictures seem to have "Gold" on them, where my splash screen does not. Am I right in thinking that 1.09.03 is not after all, "Gold"?

2/ Haven't properly started the game yet. I clicked on "Training Academy" obviously expecting basic tutorial, but ended up standing on the ships bridge whistling to myself as nothing much seemed to be happening. NO instructor, text or otherwise seemed to have joined me...... hmmmm, these buttons look tempting, perhaps I should just press them all?? Oh.. what does s.e.l.f.d.e.s.t.r.u.c.t. mean?............

Thanks all

Badger

Hi All

Brand new to the game having only downloaded it yesterday and already it's had me scratching my head in confusion. Then there was more head scratching when I tried to find a current forum! We Badgers are a simple folk and I can't help but think that getting stuck so very early on, does not bode well for me having the smarts to run such a complex game. :)

Never mind though, I've found you and now I have the attention of experts, I hope you won't mind if I ask you a couple of (possibly silly) questions.

1/ The link I clicked on for the free download, billed it as "Battlecruiser Millennium Gold Edition" and I ended up with version 1.09.03. When I went to make sure this was the latest however, I found that patches for "Gold" (unless I'm missing the obvious) were more in the region of 1.01.**

Also "box art" pictures seem to have "Gold" on them, where my splash screen does not. Am I right in thinking that 1.09.03 is not after all, "Gold"?

2/ Haven't properly started the game yet. I clicked on "Training Academy" obviously expecting basic tutorial, but ended up standing on the ships bridge whistling to myself as nothing much seemed to be happening. NO instructor, text or otherwise seemed to have joined me...... hmmmm, these buttons look tempting, perhaps I should just press them all?? Oh.. what does s.e.l.f.d.e.s.t.r.u.c.t. mean?............

Thanks all

Badger

Welcome to Galactic Command

So, Commander Space Badger,

Did you really think that Galactic Command would just hand you a brand new ship and turn you loose in the galaxy?.... First things first... GalCom doesn't provide hand held training.

Report for school by opening the .PDF file that came with the D/L . Read and study it thoroughly.

We don't provide training in these forums if it's in the painstakingly written manual.

Subsequent questions should be referred to the forum search mechanism before starting a new topic.

Please read the Terms of Use regarding this forum. Doing so will prevent accidental ejection out an airlock.

And/or summary deletion of your comm traffic.

Again, welcome to Galactic Command.

So, Commander Space Badger,

Did you really think that Galactic Command would just hand you a brand new ship and turn you loose in the galaxy?.... First things first... GalCom doesn't provide hand held training.

Report for school by opening the .PDF file that came with the D/L . Read and study it thoroughly.

We don't provide training in these forums if it's in the painstakingly written manual.

Subsequent questions should be referred to the forum search mechanism before starting a new topic.

Please read the Terms of Use regarding this forum. Doing so will prevent accidental ejection out an airlock.

And/or summary deletion of your comm traffic.

Again, welcome to Galactic Command.

Thank you for the speedy reply Wolferz

I'll jump right on that manual file and see what I can do with it. :)

You didn't tackle my version issue though, ie is 1.09.032 "Gold"? I did have a peek at the search function as it happens, but either my "Gold" question is not covered, (too bleedin obvious probably :) ) or else I failed to hit on the right combination of words in the short time I had to play with it.

Thanks again

Badger

Very nice Wolferz! :)

As for your question; if it's the version that the game came as when you downloaded it then its probably the gold version, since Derek no longer makes patches for that game (Not the last time I checked which was back in '05)

Thanks for the help guys. I suspected as much although I am surprised that "Gold" is still chargeable when standard "Millennium" is free. It's all the updates and some extra scenarios right? Enough to warrant dipping into your wallet rather than play it's little brother for nothing?

The "docs" in the game folder will be just the job thanks. :) A manual and a tutorial and a keyboard legend! I feel spoiled! :)

Thanks again

Badger

Well, I would rather recommend buying the latest title, UC Collector Edition, as it's not much different from the previous BC games (instant action scenarios are more geared toward immediate action, but that's it), and it got all the campaigns and scenarios from just every BC/UC games, AND it got all the bug fixes.

Check the requirements and go buy it! :)

Well, I would rather recommend buying the latest title, UC Collector Edition, as it's not much different from the previous BC games (instant action scenarios are more geared toward immediate action, but that's it), and it got all the campaigns and scenarios from just every BC/UC games, AND it got all the bug fixes.

Check the requirements and go buy it! ;)

That sounds great RT :) I'll have a look into it.

I can't see the collectors edition for sale at the usual places I buy online, but I've just noticed I can buy the non collectors edition for less than ú3 !!!! That has to be worth a flutter once patched up to date. :)

Badger

Check the requirements and go buy it! ;)

That sounds great RT :) I'll have a look into it.

I can't see the collectors edition for sale at the usual places I buy online, but I've just noticed I can buy the non collectors edition for less than ú3 !!!! That has to be worth a flutter once patched up to date. :)

Badger

Where exactly is it that you can buy the original UCC for three quid? Got link?

Thats not the Collectors Edition. Thats the standard version from 2004. The CE version is available here.

Where did you get that I thought it was the collectors edition SC?

Thanks for the link, though I doubt I'll be dipping quite that deep into my hard pressed pockets. Lest we forget, this thread started off when a cheapskate Badger needed advice on a game he downloaded for free! :) I might be tempted by the version for under a tenner though, I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks for all the help guys.

Badger

If you're a bit short on money, I'd recommend the free UC version indeed. It's quite polished and should do the trick untill you save up for the big UCCE.

Agreed. The free UC is more advanced that the BC Millennium that you currently have. You can download all our free games from Fileplanet's space combat page.