FC AI Question

Vadise

I hope I dont look like a complete idiot asking something two times in a row. I am sure I must be missing something about this, but the manuals dont help much.

Basically my AE's AI got to 100 (EFP Career), that is supposed to be a good thing, but there doesnt seem to be much of a performance improvement. And I was very disappointed when I tried to take down two VAL/CRI Raven fighters that were attacking a friendly ODS. I armed my FC (Light Fighter, Zodiac) with Firestar, Questor and Perseus Missiles for the occasion, activated the AI Autopilot (The one that flashes red) and ordered to attack one of the two Ravens.

But was destroyed by a missile my AE didnt even try to fool using EMD, in fact, he didnt even do any evasive maneuver to dodge the shots from the ravens.

So I would like to know how do I really engage the AI to do the job. I know the Carrier Pilots do a very good job with low AI, at least much better than what my AE could do with 100 AI.

The manual doesnt cover this, the only thing I know is that SHIFT+A activates the AI Autopilot, either that or click on the autopilot button until it flashes red. And judging by how long it took to get 100, he should be an ace pilot so far. So I must have forgotten to activate something...

Well first off, if i remember correctly, auto-pilot is for travel means only. It's not meant to be a solution to engage the enemy if your not ready to yourself. You can't turn your AE into a computer.

The attack command was probably interpreted into a follow or go-to command. You gotta do the pew-pewing yourself. And because you said 'Attack' doesn't mean the auto pilot has to dodge enemy missiles or activate anything that doesn't relate to it's attack system

But this is BC millenium, so what do i know?

BTW, for a player, it's a little easier to take down crafts like anything larger than an unarmored transport. Fighter on Fighter is pretty dificult and intense unless the enemy doesnt use EMD to own your missiles.

(I suggest you buy UCCE )

AI is only intended for your crew, and autpilot is only good for traveling.

This is false. The autopilot has two modes, travel and combat, it's in the manual. When the A/P icon is flashing red, it's in combat mode and will attack (and supposedly avoid ennemy fire) ennemies.

Besides, I always set my carrier on combat autopilot when ennemies are nearby and I'm not trying to capture/destroy a starstation (which requires some extra micro managing), as I feel playing a carrier commander isn't about your ability to dogfight with this slow, heavy piece of high tech junk, but rather your skills managing your support crafts.

Well see, there you go. I did warn you in my first post however >.>

What does that mean? the information you gave me clashes with RT's. But I am not looking for arguments or things like that. I just want to know if in the Elite Force Pilot career, the AI is good for something and if so, how can I give the AI full control of my ship.

So what I got out of this is that I did ok, engaged the AI, but the AE's AI is very ineffective in combat.

I guess I should wait until I can get a usb joystick. The keyboard doesnt do the job. And I no longer have the sound card joystick port for my older ones.

Thanks again for all the help!

I understand the carrier pilots (aka Hellraiser, Shadow, etc) have the pilot atributes, but if you choose the pilot career, you cant see your pilot atributes but instead your overall AI.

So if your AE is also subject to the effects of the pilot skills, do they get better as the overall AI gets better or with bombarding and dogfighting experience?

And to get this out of the way too, dogfigthing with a cruiser/armed transport/carrier using the AI, also uses the pilot atributes from the AE or combines the AE's and officials' which are currently on duty for the job? I understand specific systems like PTA are controlled by the Tactical Officer but I am not completely sure if the combat maneuvers and control of the main guns are the sole responsibility of the Commander.

Yes questions are repetitive and stupid, I am a Falkerie trader/miner moving to the military, fed up of the Gammulan rule.