Suggestions for a video card?

canshow

I was thinking of getting a new video card for my PC. The current one i have (as you can see in my signature) is kind of outdated and not... how can i word this... what i need it to be.

So what graphics card do you all suggest i get? My PCs current power supply is 300 watts or something like that the last time i checked. So i need a good graphics that can run with-in that wattage without making my computer not start properly or turn off the minute i send Resnig out the air-lock.

And an affordable graphics card would be nice too if anyone can find some place that sells them for a good deal that aren't used or whatever the case may be. eBay is not an option :looksaround: Something preferrably under $175. If there was a simple pick, i'd choose it, but, there are alot of graphics cards, and some are better than others and whatnot. Comparative shopping isn't my thing. Besides, i don't know if i should stick with nvidia or go with that ati radeon stuff.

BTW, my graphics card is built into my motherboard or where ever its built in by default.

I have a 7900 GTX and it's nothing that can run without a 150W more of power.

I think you'd better upgrade that too... dunno if there is something more powerful than what you have that can fit in that power limit.

I'm budget-minded and my videocard is a Nvidia GeForce 9600GT w/512 megs DDR3 memory and runs all of my games with no problems. IIRC, I picked it up at Best Buy last year for a little over a $100. It's a PCI-E. It's also DirectX 11 capable.

Just my two cents.

-Sho

I'm budget-minded and my videocard is a Nvidia GeForce 9600GT w/512 megs DDR3 memory and runs all of my games with no problems. IIRC, I picked it up at Best Buy last year for a little over a $100. It's a PCI-E. It's also DirectX 11 capable.

Just my two cents.

-Sho

Do you how much watts that videocard uses?

canshow posted:

Do you how much watts that videocard uses?

Here's a link to the watt usage and other specifics on my card. Just click on the specifications tab.

I'm running a 600 watt power supply in my box.

-Sho

Well, if i can get that video card, i need to get a 6pin adapter.

But before any of that, i would need to see if it fits, system takes the newer card over the older one, or if i can somehow remove my already integrated graphics card.

You think i can get all of this done by bringing my PC to bestbuy and letting them toy with it?

Well, if i can get that video card, i need to get a 6pin adapter.

But before any of that, i would need to see if it fits, system takes the newer card over the older one, or if i can somehow remove my already integrated graphics card.

You think i can get all of this done by bringing my PC to bestbuy and letting them toy with it?

Every single PC I've ever used takes the PCI-E/AGP whatever it is slot over the integrated card.

Seeing the cost of a PSU and the fact that they become less efficient in time, my suggestion would be to get a new one too along with the card. start from a 450W and you'll be fine. 500W even better but get one with hogh efficiency, 80% or more.

canshow posted:

Usually, there's a setting in your BIOS to have your system set your new video card to the primary video over your existing onboard video.

I'd call first. The most they can say is no, right? :looksaround:

-Sho

Alright, thanks for the help you guys. I'm getting a Radeon HD 4670 1024MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 graphics card, along with a 550w psu w/ 88% efficiency. But im still gonna look at other models.

That cards a tad slow, but it should be good enough for UCCE, maybe even 2.0 at max settings if your CPU can handle it.

Yeah, my tech friend told me to get the radeon card instead of Sho's. Apparently it's better for gaming or whatnot.

Well, to each his own, I guess. My good ol' 9600 plays everything I need it to with no problems! ;) However, this is not to say I won't upgrade in the future!

-Sho

• 2 weeks later...

The Radeon 4xxx are a good series ... bit old though, and only DX10.1 ..... so no Stalker or Metro in full glory for you.

Also, going ATI means you don't have Physx (unless you run an NVidia as the Physx card in the second PCIe slot ... if you have one, which can be done with a driver hack), but probably do get better per-cycle frames than a 9800gt; splitting hairs though.

Either way, you are a generation behind .... and though you did say "budget minded", there is no reason NOT to go current generation!!!!!

The Radeon 4xxx are a good series ... bit old though, and only DX10.1 ..... so no Stalker or Metro in full glory for you.

Also, going ATI means you don't have Physx (unless you run an NVidia as the Physx card in the second PCIe slot ... if you have one, which can be done with a driver hack), but probably do get better per-cycle frames than a 9800gt; splitting hairs though.

Either way, you are a generation behind .... and though you did say "budget minded", there is no reason NOT to go current generation!!!!!

4.Radeon HD 5450 512MB

and i do have Physx, as the old nvidia card is integrated...

4.Radeon HD 5450 512MB

and i do have Physx, as the old nvidia card is integrated...

5450 .... great stuff.

Physx ? .. are you sure?, because NVidia have disabled it when their video card is not used as primary, and can only be re-enabled by using an older driver with a special driver hack put out by an awesome ATI enthusiast. After you install the ATI, go to the NVidia control panel and check the Physx setting .... it will either be forced off or gone completely.

Another check you can do is run FluidMark ... this will stress / performance test both Video and physics.