Civilization 5

Nwah

Since it finally came out yesterday I bought it off steam and downloaded it. Out of the 50 or so turns I've played so far I have mixed feelings. The interface has been extremely simplified, gone are the windows of the past as well as the good old sliders. The graphics surprised me considering they recommended a 9800 series nvidia card, but that is likely because I'm stuck in DX9. The combat changes are quite nice though. Overall its fun though I personally don't really consider it a sequel to Civilization 4.

Anyone elses thoughts on Civilization 5?

Nwah posted:

Anyone elses thoughts on Civilization 5?

I had it pre-ordered and was anxiously awaiting for it to unlock yesterday.

Graphic-wise, I didn't see much difference between it and Civ4. There were some differences though, but nothing groundbreaking. Maybe because I was running it in Dx9 mode instead of Dx10/11 mode. One thing I didn't like was the inability to skip the intro. Hitting ESC would exit the intro about 30 seconds into it. It'd be nice if the add a disable intro selection in a future patch. I do like the new interface as it's a bit more refined than previous versions of Civ. I also like the added Minor Nations.

I played a 6-hour game yesterday as Japan and got my butt royally handed to me by Arabia. I was doing pretty good in the first stages of the game and then I got cocky and decided to start conquering. Unfortunately, I overextended myself and that led to my downfall. Next time, I won't let that happen! :)

canshow posted:

Once I can get it Pirated, then I'll give a review on it.

I sure hope you are just joking.

-Sho

I had it pre-ordered and was anxiously awaiting for it to unlock yesterday.

Graphic-wise, I didn't see much difference between it and Civ4. There were some differences though, but nothing groundbreaking. Maybe because I was running it in Dx9 mode instead of Dx10/11 mode. One thing I didn't like was the inability to skip the intro. Hitting ESC would exit the intro about 30 seconds into it. It'd be nice if the add a disable intro selection in a future patch. I do like the new interface as it's a bit more refined than previous versions of Civ. I also like the added Minor Nations.

I played a 6-hour game yesterday as Japan and got my butt royally handed to me by Arabia. I was doing pretty good in the first stages of the game and then I got cocky and decided to start conquering. Unfortunately, I overextended myself and that led to my downfall. Next time, I won't let that happen!

Umm, when you first start up the game you can't skip the intro :(

But I found that after that you can skip it but it seems to me that you may also need to alt-tab in order to kill it. I don't know what's up with some of these companies but they seem to think that making it difficult to skip an intro is a good thing.

Otherwise, Civ 5 is the first Civ game I've played and I love it, but HATE how the game auto-switches ya to the next unit to move (when there is a unit right NEXT to it that needs to be moved to, but instead the game thinks this unit on the other side of the map is more important)

But I like it :)

Once I can get it Pirated, then I'll give a review on it.

I hope its interface is better than CIV 4,s because it sucked >.<

I hope your joking about the pirate part.

But the interface is a matter of opinion. I myself prefer the windows, now its all stuck on the main screen.

Currently I'm playing as Rome on Warlord difficulty, went to war with Alexander and got 2 other countries attacking me though they didn't do much. As soon as I got legions (which can build roads!) Alexander offered some gold to me and a peace treaty. The AI in general seems to be a lot better than Civilization 4 and the new diplomacy options are nice. I put it on standard time, though it looks like I'll be playing on epic speed like I did in Civ 4 for future games.

Yeah i am joking for the most part. My bandwidth will make the download impossible for the most part, bought or not.

But Civ 4's interface was a little aggravating at times. (I did like the space mod for it). Once again,

Whenever i have a chance to play it for a couple of days, i'll input my input.

Kalshion posted:

Umm, when you first start up the game you can't skip the intro

Yes, you can. When the intro starts and you get the close-up of the man's face, hit your ESC button a couple of times. You're still about 20 - 30 seconds into the intro, but at least you can avoid watching the entire intro. :) That's why I said it'd be nice if they'd put an option in a later update to disable it entirely.

Kalshion posted:

Otherwise, Civ 5 is the first Civ game I've played and I love it, but HATE how the game auto-switches ya to the next unit to move (when there is a unit right NEXT to it that needs to be moved to, but instead the game thinks this unit on the other side of the map is more important)

I agree with you on that, Kal.

-Sho

Yeah i am joking for the most part. My bandwidth will make the download impossible for the most part, bought or not.

But Civ 4's interface was a little aggravating at times. (I did like the space mod for it). Once again,

Whenever i have a chance to play it for a couple of days, i'll input my input.

From my understanding the retail copy installs it off a disc with no updates (there has only been 1 anyways) and you can circumvent the download.

And what is this about auto switching? Mine simply pops up with a button saying you have a unit that needs to be moved. Also for anyone who uses xfire, unless something is wrong with my system it appears having it on and trying to load/start a new game causes the game to crash.

Anyone else encountering slow downs with this game?

I've noticed this after playing my current game (doing it on easy since I'm new to Civ 5). However, I've noticed that now that I'm almost ten hours into the game, it slows down quite a bit when selecting other units, or during turn phases where it takes roughly three-five minutes.

The other thing I've noticed is my ram usage has been going up streadly as I play this game (Gotta love the G19 Keyboard :P) anyone else possibly noticed this?

No, though I have noticed that the game only uses 1 core. The turns taking longer isn't surprising, I haven't gotten far enough to experience that. Every civ game I've played has done that because the AI makes more calculations the longer the game goes on.

I honestly have been finding Civilization V to be extremely disappointing, not only is it a simplification of Civilization IV - which itself was simple and quite bad. But also the changes to make it more like a Panzer General game do not work at all, combined with a really stupid interface and numerous broken systems and instability make it one of the most disappointing games I've played in awhile.

On the other hand, I have been playing Star Ruler and loving it, I highly suggest anyone who likes 4x try it out. Think SoaSE (but good & a real 4x)

D/l'd the demo via Steam and it was very pretty to look at.

The city-state concept is interesting. Having them as allies helps you aquire culture points for policy purchases. Doesn't seem to add much to game play though. Was not fun to have to deal with all the background stuff either. Only 100 turns per game in the demo, to 375 BC. Voice acting seemed well done with each leader speaking in their own language. The Klingon mod will be interesting... Never did play Civ IV. Civ III is still fine for me.

Kalshion posted:

I saw that Magnus, not sure I agree with someone advertising a game in another game's thread

LOL! Well, we can always open another thread on that one! I downloaded it myself.

-Sho

Aye same.