Misc Trade Items

ice9

I've scoured the game manual looking for the answer to this question, but I haven't had any success.

Do the miscellaneous trade items available at all the star stations have any other purpose other than trade? For instance, if I run out of Nutripaks will my crew use Canned Foods, Vegetables, Juices, and other AG items for sustenance? Also, if I purchase books and magazines are they considered to be stock for the on-board Library, and made available to off duty crew members?

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm curious to know how effective it is to trade with these items. They're usually priced very low (with the exception of Plants, Radiation Control Kit and Craft Parts 1-3). Any thoughts?

They are not very good for trading if you want to make large sums of money, but they will start you off somewhere if you do decide to buy low and sell high with those items (the inexpensive misc items, that is)

I recommend going through the appendix and compare the prices of trade items in a region of space where you want to make trade runs. or you can just go blowing up ships, collecting the cargo pods, and selling what you find. That's another way to go rather than trading through half the game to get some money.

Everyone's game style is different. You can have the books and videos onboard if you'd like to stimulate some roleplay inside your head or whatever. But once your crew is out of nutripacks, they will starve until they're dead. (Except yourself)

And having half your marines starved to death is bad when you have 18 intruders onboard.

Nwah: Me too. I find that I rarely ever need combat kits either, which usually sell for a 2000-3000 depending on the station.

canshow: That's a good point. I hadn't considered the role-playing angle before.

I typically only trade with items that have a large payout like weapons and upgrades, but most of my income comes from lucky cargo pod finds (I got 3 STO's last night in a single cargo pod. I nearly wet myself). I don't think I've ever had 18 intruders on board yet... sounds intense.

You should definately keep combat kits, prepped marines fight intruders far better than unprepped ones. And yes 18 intruders is really annoying, though having a few intruders destroy your shields while in combat is worse...

Oh that's good to know. I assumed they only needed to prep for combat when they're going to a planet surface. Thanks for the tip.