Star Ruler

ShoHashi

My thoughts on the demo:

Pretty fun. But the personalization and complexity seems to go away after about an hour in-game. It's easy to play and seems more like a mass game instead of something like a galactic diplomacy or galactic civlization or something. Not to mention Diplomacy portion of the game sucks. Most of the time the other end won't keep up their end of the bargain when it comes to resources.

3/5

The fact that i killed 6 AI, on hard(5), in 4 hours gametime w/ 476 stars, shows it's not very complex and challenging.

One of my battleship designs took out an entire system and the 50+ ship fleet defending it. Just one ship.

No challenge >:C

I've only played it for an hour; so I can't honestly give an accurate review yet though the combat seems alright, research is cool, customization is rather interesting and the procedural generation is something I really wish every game introduced. What I can say is that the models bug the living daylights out of me, they just seem to weak and so quickly done, like no thought really went into them. I know the reason why they are so low on polys is so that you can have massive fleets of ships, but I've always been taught that you shouldn't sacrifice quality for quantity.

Regardless; the modding ability of this game will satisfy me quite a bit once it's fully completed and such. I'm already aware of a mod out there that makes drastic improvements to the models and makes them look neat.

Otherwise, Canshow, I dunno what you and I were doing wrong - tried hard, got my ass beat after an hour. Had over a hundred ships appear in my small little system (I'm a slow expander in these games :() I have heard that sometimes the AI IS stupid, but othertimes it can give you a run for your money.

But eh, I bought the game so I'll play it and give a review of it at some point, though I am probably going to wait until the game is actually FINISHED before really getting a serious review up. After all, it *IS* unfair to the developers to review a game that is unfinished, when they themselves admitted to that.

I played the demo a bit but hold off my purchase after checking their forum and finding out the game isn't finished. It looks like a neat game, and it seems even with a fe thousand stars it runs fine (things start getting really slow when you try to generate a 10k stars galaxy though).

I'll wait some more before buying it, though I think I'll end up buying it anyway as it isn't very expensive.

It just gets really easy to play after a couple of days. SoaSE is actually challenging and every game is always unique.

Star ruler?

Great weekend game. Thats about it. If you only play it like a couple times a day, then you won't be able to master it and kick the shit out of the AI all the time, which i guess is "fun" for some.

But yeah Kal, once they finish the game some more i'll do another review. It's just a "no replay value" game at this point to me.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to increase the difficulty, you can export your ship designs and allow the AI to use them. The vanilla designs are easily countered and the AI does not generate new ones without your help. Give the AI better ships, learn to counter, repeat.

Also... wow, I haven't been on here in forever. Surprised I remembered my password.

• 1 month later...

Well, I had a Stardock discount coupon emailed to me yesterday, so I used it towards the purchase of Star Ruler.

I noticed that there's been a few patches since the original release so perhaps it is now better. Nevertheless, I don't mind supporting the Indies with their games.

-Sho