Starport Gemini

Cruis.In

Check it out

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07/20/astro-logical-starport-gemini/

I have not tried it yet, but might buy it when I get some funds. I been living pay check to pay check recently :)

Looks very solid and very interesting. It is released, thats the only thing I can find on it from last year. I saw it on a news post on bluesnews about the release in March.

A lot of people are pirating the game but then finding that cannot play because it crashes alot and filing bug reports at the developers site which has delayed some patches.

Additionally the word around the web is that its buggy so avoid it. lol. on torrent sites you see comments about it being buggy.........glad the devs can stop people pirating it, but I hope it gets the commercial success it deserves.

I bought it and tried it out for half an hour.

It's late at night.

It's interesting so far. However, the combat goes a little quick and sometimes its hard to get a lock on the target. The combat module is a little unique and difficult to master at first. The key configurations are messed up from the start, which sucks. It feels like there are a few ship commands missing as well. Also, the graphics are a little more consuming than i expected. You can expect a full review from me early this week, because i won't have a life for the next 7 days.

the keys can be reconfigured I heard. Also the latest patch, in fact all the patches have added player requests, like full rotational camera.

There's a thread on suggestions with the dev monitors.

http://www.spacesimcentral.com/starpoint-gemini-f32/

also I am not usually dyslexic but I saw it as starport the whole time when in fact it is starpoint lol...weird.

you got the latest patch?

1.0.0.8? Yeah. I'm too lazy to reconfigure the keys at the moment. I just died, and i couldn't save after the storyline mission activated, pissed me off so much. The rotational camera is there, but it is annoying to use with the mouse wheel. It also takes a couple of tries to get the camera locked back on to your ship, because once u rotate the camera it doesn't follow your ship at the default angle anymore, which is also annoying.

It's going good. I'm in chapter 2 of the campaign. The only things of importance to report is a kill-bug with one ship during a mission. I can't kill the ship, but shooting it when its at 0 health gives exp boosts and you can exploit it to level up over and over. And the other thing is saving. THere are 2 modes your ship can be in at any give time; combat mode and non-combat mode. Apparently, saves are impossible in combat mode, which is frustrating.

The game has been treating me fine so far. Shield strength could be improved. Um, campaign missions are interesting, being ambushed is common. I guess i haven't gone that far into the campaign, but i have a general idea of the game. Targeting can be a pain in the ass, the 'target hostile' or 'next hostile' button targets non-hostile ships, so for the most part i have to target manually via right clicking, precisely on the ships hull. Combat is quick in the beginning, but it begins to grow longer as you upgrade your ship and you fight tougher/multiple opponents. Nebulas and those kinds of things can really lag the game, and i am almost in the lowest resolution with texture on low.

Trading and equipping systems is also a part you must endure in the game. I guess it won't be an issue later on, but in the beginning, you can lose some money over it.

I guess that's my progress report. My interest in it has not been diminished as of yet, so we'll have to see how that turns out.

There has been a demo of it released here for anyone interested. I'm downloading it now.

-Sho

playing the demo, how do you jump through the gate after the battle in the beginning? the tutorial is greyed out, won't let me choose it to play, starts the game with a cut scene and goes on.

Ok, I finally downloaded the demo three times (the first two were corrupt when I tried to install) and the third finally installed except for one .wav file that was corrupt and I was able to skip.

The game seemed to run fine, but I don't like it. Voice acting was terrible although the graphics weren't too bad. Gameplay was confusing, especially since the tutorial was not able to be used. Funny, you think that with a demo, the developer would at least let you do a tutorial. All in all, not my cup of tea, promptly uninstalled.

-Sho