all space game news

Cruis.In

played starjack online. kind of love it.

learning curve: 2-3 hours.

excellent step by step tutorial, but very slow.

uh how to describe, real time online, planetary control/command basically 4x type strategy, with research etc, so expand, exploit etc...

lots of depth...like for example, i can set my fleet to pick up resources mined from a mining colony back to the main colony, and put it on an auto pilot of sorts... basically all your units and build options have command queues which then you can loop...

your main colony, your first solar system is yours and no one can invade it ever, however beyond that where there are more important resources is free for all.

if you warp to another system with a fleet and you see a ship flying around which you usually do, you can click on communicate and it brings up an automatic chat window to the player who that fleet belongs too.

its got a lot of depth n stuff...barely scratched the surface but i highly recommend it.

http://www.starjackonline.com/Landing.aspx

its a client you download, not a browser text based game or any crap like that.

Finally a website like this.

The nexus 2 trailer is attracting. It looks like it's combined Freespace + Starshatter into its own game engine.

I might try out starjack online, but after years of playing extremely complicated strategy games, i think i'm going to simple 1st person mode games.

Yeah, there is some appeal to that, but you've gotta realize it's gonna take months to build anything up to a level where you're satisfied with how things are going. And you wake up one morning, to see yourself screwed over by another player. It's happened to me several times on several different MMOs, all which have the same concept as starjack.

I've lost my appeal to try out any new MMOs, or anything that's not a sandbox space sim.

If they follow through with Nexus 2, i hope they give it some sandbox option. Modding only does so much...

• 2 weeks later...

nexus. wow, it puts starshatter to same. looks just as good as naumachia space warfare. Glad to know there are great space games in the pipleline that are being developed or are atleast considering to be developed.

in star jack your empire cannot be attacked by other places. basically the concept is, you starjack a solar system which takes it out of public space(no other play can go to it), you can only have a certain amount at a time of course. but your safe to progress this way.