So why is it that...

RichardCranium

1. A LADMK1 can destroy any vehicle, aircraft or building within range, but a ZS10 or ZS12 assault rifle cannot damage any of them even though both use Type 3 clips? For that matter, no first person weapon other than rocket launchers or grenades can damage non-infantry targets.
  2. The type of tracer used in Type 3 clips is useful only to alert the enemy where you are versus helping you to see where your rounds are striking? The only weapon that provides tracer rounds that the person firing them can actually see is the aforementioned LADMK1. Even if you use the 3rd person view when firing the M310, SP911, ZS10, and ZS12 the individual tracers are very difficult to see.
  3. The GLE22 and ZS10 in grenade launcher mode cannot project a grenade further than you can throw it by hand? In fact, the grenades projected by those two have a range that is much less than what you can do by hand. (To be precise, the grenades projected by a grenade launcher arm and blow up just out of self-inflicted-wound range.)
  4. The MK330 and PX42 machine guns have no tracers, nothing beyond iron sights, and horrendous scatter for each round after the first. There's no way that you can engage a point target (even when prone) at ~800m which is within the capabilities of mid 20th century machine guns.

1. The LADMK1 is a machine gun turret with more rapid fire. So a single burst will do more damage that either of those rifles

2. Tracers are part of the ordnance and can be hard to see depending on the firing rate of the weapon

3. Yes - they can

4. They were designed that way; use a different pose to improve accuracy at mid-long range

3. Yes - they can

(OK, I'll mention this is all run under the latest version available via Steam, which is 1.00.37.)

Well, that's technically true in that I can always just drop the grenade at my feet. However, I spun up a sandbox game with Brad armed with a GLE22. I made him run over to the launch pad near the MFB to run the test. His back was against the launch pad when he fired the GLE22 at roughly a 45 degree angle. The scorch mark on the ground is the furthest distance a GLE22 was able to propel a grenade before it blew up:pic000n.png

From what the display told me as the grenade was on the way, that's around 16 meters. I was able to throw a frag grenade at least 18 meters away. I'll also mention that smoke grenades also burst at that range.

The shrapnel from the GLE22 managed to destroy the launch pad that was behind me as well as the containers that would normally have been on the right hand side of the picture. I've stood on a building using a GLE22. The GLE22 destroyed the building I was standing on by exploding grenades long before they struck the ground.

4. They were designed that way; use a different pose to improve accuracy at mid-long range

I'm always prone when I fire a machine gun. Old habits die hard. (If you want to be picky, I used to be in a tank when I fired a machine gun. Since that's one of the fastest ways known to die in any of your games when there's a chance of enemy aircraft to be in the area, I rarely fire vehicle mounted machine guns while playing. But whenever I fired an M-60 machine gun in meatspace, I was prone.)

Since I rarely have an idea where the enemy really is (other than the rather large target box) and have absolutely no idea where my rounds are actually going relative to the enemy, having a tight shot group while essentially shooting in the dark doesn't help very much. When the enemy gets within the 300m or so when you get the green dot, I can spray in front of said enemy and kill it with ~8 bursts. Of course, if I'm shooting at a Vanguard with a rocket launcher then odds are very good that I'm already dead prior to getting the green dot.

While I personally think that 30th century military technology would allow better integration between a soldier and his weapon than we have today, I'd be surprised that it would be worse. Today, you'd have one visible-to-the-person-firing-the-machine-gun tracer round followed by 3 or 4 invisible rounds. In the 30th century, we don't get even that?

And while I'm whining, it would be nice if the GLE22 had some type of indicator to tell you what type of grenade it was going to launch when you pull the trigger. Versus finding out after you launched one.

I guess that I could write down on a piece of paper how many times I've pressed the "M" key, but you'd think the combat suit's systems could tell you.

[Given the other GLE22 issue, this is kind of a moot point for AAW/AoA (nobody in their right mind would attempt to use one). It Would Be Nice if LoD (assuming that it also has the GLE22 as part of it's arms list) had some type of indicator. That also includes the ZS10 assault rifle, which has a grenade launcher with all the drawbacks of the GLE22.]