Elite Dangerous

Shingen

Anyone following this game?

I'm an old school Frontier geek. I have the original Elite, Frontier, and Frontier: First Encounters. I've played them all as much as I've played BC3K, BCM, and UC,

Now that Elite Dangerous is finally being developed (using a Kickstarter to fund the damn thing) old David wants to force everyone to be online? Does that mean no single player?

I don't know. I'm torn. I comprehend that updating a constantly evolving persistent universe is better done through online updates, but what if I don't or can't be online 24/7? I can't play the damn game without an internet connection? WTF?

If it's a lame ass attempt at copy protection, then I think I might want my pre-release money back.

I'm just venting.

Pisses me da phuck off!

Whatever happened to Battlecruiser online?

Now that would've been a kick-ass game!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm following this myself. It bothers me a little bit too that there's no offline single-player mode. But it has single-player mode. It's the "single-player" which is important to me. I want to play when I want, how I want, without feeling guilty by being beholden to friends etc. for "Why aren't you online so we can do X?". I have plenty on my plate IRL, thank you very much, and I'll play when I have a loose moment :).

My PC is online, so this likely won't bother me and I'll probably buy it anyway.

Another game I'm watching is Limit Theory.

• 2 years later...

Necro-ing my old thread:

Anyone still playing this game?

I'm pretty active ATM. Lowly indie, flying a Cobra MKIII running contraband and slaves!

Anyone else playing? 

I'd love to get SC and a few old BC commanders to create a faction and take over the bubble!

That would be epic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 2:14 PM, Supreme Cmdr said:

What didn't you like about it? The trading and travel grind?

Well for starters I felt there was a sore lack of actual multiplayer. The trading grind was expected, nothing particularly nasty about it imo. It just seemed like the end-game was more shallow than the NPC interaction. Faction system looked like filler content so I didn't really fiddle around with it too much. The exploration system was a double edged sword, and maybe one of the few worthy things of actually doing. However, just getting to be able to explore undiscovered systems is a huge grind in itself. You're basically grinding just to literally spend hours of your time traveling. lol. And then yeah, traveling was a PITA all the way from entering supercruise to slowing down to a nav point

I guess one of the bigger issues for me was the rate of progression given time played. Travel alone just kills so much of your time. I work and go to university. Maybe I have 3 hours to throw at gaming one night. If I choose ED i will likely spend 1,5/2 of those hours staring at my screen in supercruise, because if I don't look out for interdiction attempts from NPCs (or the occasional player if you're in a hot tiny patch of space) I might get killed. Like what the fuck dude. It gets old. It also makes death (which is inevitable unless you're meticulous about everything) so much worse because you'll have to spend more time traveling to re-grind. 

A game is supposed to be a game. After a while ED feels like monotonous work for no wages.